The Fixit Sunburst Carved Project

Thunderface

Reaction score
After Fixit acquired tele4tone's '74 sunburst carved, I offered up my services to create the before/after montage if you will. Tom reports that work is progressing nicely, and I'll give you the first glimpse of what's going on. (WARNING: the following photo displays frontal nudity!)

FixitSBC1.jpg

I'll update with more photos as the project progresses.

Thunderface

Reaction score
You couldn't tell from the photos, but the replacement "Chesterfield was raised almost a 1/16th of a inch above the faceplate. I removed it and thinned it to the right thickness, which helped with the coloring as well, and replaced it. Cleaned up the face plate and a couple of coat of clear lacquer and buff out and polish. Also fixed the raised (loose)parts of the faceplate. Removed and cleaned, adjusted, lubricated and replaced the tuning machines."

FixitSBC2.jpg

Qvart

Reaction score
This will be interesting to watch. Good luck!

And it got me thinking........we saw tele4tone acquire this one, then sell it off, but did we get a NGD from fixit? Or are we waiting for the results of the work in progress?

Regardless, it made me think that maybe the S-100 sticky thread could use a section for rehabs/resurrections. That's where I'm filing this one (and a couple others that were mainly refins, but also qualify as rehabs).

http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22267&p=241384#p241384

Thunderface

Reaction score
It was mentioned in tele4tone's posts about selling it, but I don't think there was an official NGD. I can't speak for Fixit, but maybe it's coming.... :D

tele4tone

Reaction score
I'm so glad the guitar is getting the proper love. It's a shame the neck and I did not mesh. The tone was there for sure.

Looking good Fixit!

Jeff

Russian Guy

Reaction score
Hey, Thunder, do you have those new photos in higher res? It's a shame to scale those down to tiny resolution when the object is that luscious :lol:

Thunderface

Reaction score
The final before/after shots ... double-posted in Fixit's NGD S-100SB Carved post, but I'll post them here as well to accompany the previous shots.

BA1.jpg

BA2.jpg

BA3.jpg

BA4.jpg

BA5.jpg

A truly amazing job, Tom. Awesome work.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Downright incredible! Is there anything that Fixit can't do? 8)

Fixit

Reaction score
How about a big hand fo TF, great job with the photo's :!: The before and after shot really make the work I did look great.

And as always, Thank you all, for all the great comments about my work. You are far to kind :oops:

Qvart

Reaction score
blakeley311 said:
I love threads like this. Are there others I have missed as a new member?

I you haven't seen it, check the S-100 "sticky" thread at the beginning of the Solid/Chambered section. Lots of links to LTG threads about S-100s.

hagmeat

Reaction score
Well, after gassing for a carved S100 since the first time I saw one, and gassing for a sunburst
one since I saw this post, The 'Carved One' now rests at the Right hand of the Hag,
in fullfillment of the scriptures. After spending countless hours wondering if Fixit
would ever consider parting with it, I decided to just ask him and put the demons to rest.
So one morning I woke up and logged on to LTG, I had 1 new message in my inbox. I was a very happy
man when his reply was "sure, I could do that". Zelko was happy to enable the transaction by allowing
the guitar to be shipped via his " MY U.S" account, and the rest is history. I instantly bonded with it,
sweet sound, perfect action and the neck is exactly the right width. It`s the only guitar I`ve played
all week. I made a few minor adjustments to suit my tastes and they are just cosmetic, as Tom had
already done a magnificent job with the restoration and setup. I replaced the pick up rings with NOS
ones I had as spares, as the ones on it had some extra holes drilled into them, I replaced the black pick
guard with a clear one with the Guild logo, and swapped the black toggle switch tip with a chrome one off my S90.
Many Thanks to Tom Fixit for being a pleasure to deal with, and to Zelko for ensuring the shipping process
was smooth sailing. My phone pics didn`t really show the amazing burst on this thing, for that just go to
the previous page for the great pics taken by Fixit and the before and after pics put together by Thunderface.
Cheers. Rob.

022hn.jpg

023wyi.jpg

Zelja

Reaction score
Good on ya, Rob! Glad you are digging it & that I could help in some small way. Certainly is a sweet axe. I really liked the neck as well. Good things happening in your life at the moment mate & am really happy for you. :D