This group is boring!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Am I going to go and buy a new Guild solidbody to keep this group alive! :)

Enough S100 talk - let's see some other Guild solidbodies!

I'll start.

Here's my '79 S300A-D that I bought new in '79 and like an IDIOT sold a few years ago.

_Q7U2771_800.jpg

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I still think you need another orange guitar. 8) 8)

Qvart

Reaction score
1) We've all seen/heard your S300A-D saga. Mr. GAS. :lol:
2) My last post was about my M-80 (you should check those out).
3) If you had an S-100 you might understand. ;)

tele4tone

Reaction score
GAD, I plan on getting a S-300 as well. The S-100 was first on the list since I have salivated over them for about 10 years, but never pulled the trigger.

:D

Jeff

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would only buy an S-100 if it was an S-200. :)

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Okay, I'll do my part. I'm new to solid bodies. Well, sort of. I haven't had one since I played in a country band in the mid-70s and had a Telecaster for a year or so. I played that through a speakerless Twin with a 15" cabinet (Bandmaster, maybe). Now I own a 1986 Guild T-250, haven't played it much yet, but will be trying it out soon, probably so I can use it for a monthly folk jam that occasionally could use some twangy leads. I've asked this on here before, but what the heck, a little duplication never hurts. Anybody know what size screw was used to hold down the battery cover on the T-250? It stays in place with Velcro, but I'd like to screw it in as well. I've tried the standard solid body pickguard screws and they're too long. I suppose I could make the holes a little deeper with no collateral damage, but if I can get the right size it would be nice. I wonder if I could go to Home Depot with one of the pickguard screws and match it to a shorter one, although they don't usually carry a lot of small screws.
Anyhow, now there is one more post in the solid body section.
Brad

tele4tone

Reaction score
You need to go to an Ace hardware or Tru Value that carries Hillman or Servalite screws. They will have a way better selection. I worked at an Ace for five years. The selection Home Depot/ Lowes is laughable compared to a decent Ace. YMMV in a different area tho.

Jeff

Qvart

Reaction score
GAD - unless you mean a '60's S-200 - the only difference with the S-200 is bling, and it's pretty gawdy at that. Although I do like ebony fretboards. And the artist award style inlays. And the G-shield on the headstock. Alright, damn you! Now you got my GAS worked up again! I'm supposed to be buying a car and selling a guitar! :lol:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
tele4tone said:
You need to go to an Ace hardware or Tru Value that carries Hillman or Servalite screws.
You're right. I almost always find what I want/need at one of our local True Values, I'm not even sure why I go to Home Depot except it's a little closer and is open Sundays.
Brad

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
hansmoust said:
GAD said:
Am I going to go and buy a new Guild solidbody to keep this group alive!

Maybe you should buy my Nightbird! That is, if Darryl will let you!

It would be embarrassing to admit how much time I've spent sitting here staring at that Nighbird. Such a beautiful guitar deserves better pickups than EMGs though, and pulling apart such a rare guitar just doesn't seem right...

matsickma

Reaction score
On the right guitar EMG's can be the ticket.

I am particularly fond of EMG single coils and like the S/S/HB EMG w/HB splitter configuration you find sometimes on a S-284.

The best sounding EMG guitar I ever owned , and regret to this day selling, was a S281 with 2 EMG HB's , Kahler Trem and special factory electronics which included Vol, Mid Scoup, Trem and + 20dB boost.

I knew this was an unusual configuration but never realized I would never see another. I understood more about his guitar after I sold it and I did some research on pickup options and controls on the EMG website.

Another great sounding guitar I owned with EMG years ago was a red SSS 1980's solid body Bluesbird. This is the Setzer model with a Kahler and the 25 1/2 scale neck. The tone of those single coile pups were great. They pushed the front end of the amp pretty had and got a nice saturated tone out of most amps. The tone of that guitar was identical to Jerry Garcia guitar on Terrapin Station. I wasn't a dead head but often wondered why this guitar wasn't more popular with the Garcia fans.

M

Qvart

Reaction score
Someone gave me an EMG 81 for my 18th birthday and I put it in a crappy hand-me down guitar I had back then. Man, what a world of difference! Of course, everything I played was distortion-over-drive (punk and metal) so it worked fine. Then one day disaster - knocked the guitar over and snapped the headstock. I ended up with a free Washburn (Floyd Rose, two single coils, one HB) that my friend had but couldn't get to work. Slapped that EMG in there and played the hell out of that guitar in a punk band. It was actually a decent guitar: American-made, nice maple neck, but a bit heavy. So I had this one EMG pickup for like sixteen years before I gave the Washburn to an employee of mine who wanted an electric to play around with but didn't have much money (this was during the onset of my Guild addiction). So that pickup is still out there somewhere being used, only now someone else has to mess with changing the damn battery. :lol:

Now, having related my positive EMG experience, I have no desire to own a guitar with EMG's. And having played (briefly) a Nightbird I can say it's not for me. In the right guitar these pickups may be fine, but overall they seem to have a sterile sound. No character. Too artificial. But there are times when they're fine. Just not now for me. I'll keep my HB-1's. And XR-7's.

guildzilla

Reaction score
My Nightbird has active EMG-60 pickups (if memory serves). You get saturated in Guild around here, so I'll admit that I'd rather it had a pair of Guild humbuckers, like the one Hans sold on e-Bay a couple weeks ago. That said, as regards the EMG pickups, it's kind of a period thing in that they are part of the whatever legacy the model has. And the EMG's on the Nightbird enhance its musical versatility, IMO. A clean signal with a lot of available variation.

My S-270 has a heavy poplar slab body, Strat shape, and a single active EMG-81 in the bridge position. I paid $280 for it, including the musty hard case. Somebody played the hell out of it before I got it. It's all black and bruised, but it has these fat frets that won't need to be replaced until the 23rd century and a Kahler Pro trem. It's a really fun guitar to play when you're in the mood for that sound.

tele4tone

Reaction score
GAD said:
hansmoust said:
GAD said:
Am I going to go and buy a new Guild solidbody to keep this group alive!

Maybe you should buy my Nightbird! That is, if Darryl will let you!

It would be embarrassing to admit how much time I've spent sitting here staring at that Nighbird. Such a beautiful guitar deserves better pickups than EMGs though, and pulling apart such a rare guitar just doesn't seem right...

EMG's in Guilds is like those Lace pups or the newer noiseless S1 switching in Fenders....... There is a reason everyone strips them out and installs something else.

stclrob

Reaction score
Qvart said:
Someone gave me an EMG 81 for my 18th birthday and I put it in a crappy hand-me down guitar I had back then. Man, what a world of difference! Of course, everything I played was distortion-over-drive (punk and metal) so it worked fine. Then one day disaster - knocked the guitar over and snapped the headstock. I ended up with a free Washburn (Floyd Rose, two single coils, one HB) that my friend had but couldn't get to work. Slapped that EMG in there and played the hell out of that guitar in a punk band. It was actually a decent guitar: American-made, nice maple neck, but a bit heavy. So I had this one EMG pickup for like sixteen years before I gave the Washburn to an employee of mine who wanted an electric to play around with but didn't have much money (this was during the onset of my Guild addiction). So that pickup is still out there somewhere being used, only now someone else has to mess with changing the damn battery. :lol:

Now, having related my positive EMG experience, I have no desire to own a guitar with EMG's. And having played (briefly) a Nightbird I can say it's not for me. In the right guitar these pickups may be fine, but overall they seem to have a sterile sound. No character. Too artificial. But there are times when they're fine. Just not now for me. I'll keep my HB-1's. And XR-7's.
Man, you want a heavy sound with some character, try a guitar with lundgren pickups.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I'm too busy twitching with this-group-inflicted-GAS-spasms to be bored. Which is how I came to own this old warhorse S-90:

S90_7.jpg

Still headed for an S-100 (maybe someday), sure glad I stumbled over this in the meantime.
MD