Traded for a Guild ...

Thunderface

Reaction score
First, what I traded, a '79 honeyburst Peavey T-60 with original hardshell case ...
DSCN0396.jpg

And then, what I received, a '77 cherry S-100 with a nonoriginal hardshell case. Upon first glimpse, it looks pretty good...

DSCN0258.jpg

But then you can start to see that its had a rough life ...

DSCN0254.jpg

DSCN0259.jpg

DSCN0256.jpg

DSCN0249.jpg

DSCN0263.jpg

DSCN0240.jpg

Still, while it is beat up, when I plugged it in, it sounds great and everything works.

Qvart

Reaction score
He shoots, he scores!

How's the string tension compared to your '73? I still haven't tried out a later '70's S-100 with the closer tailpiece spacing.

Oh yeah, one more and you'll join the cool kids' club. As it stands, you're only 66.66666666666666666666666% a cool kid. :lol:

Maxer

Reaction score
I have to say I love those crazy T-60s. I keep looking for one on the local Craigslist. Not too keen on that particular finish but I do dig the whole vibe.

But your cherry Guild, as beaten as it looks, is awesome. Congrats. How's it play? I kinda like all the mad distressing it has. As long as it's all holding together, it's fine by me.

Qvart

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
Qvart said:
He shoots, he scores!
VEERAGE ALERT!

Hey Q, speaking of scoring, I like the new avatar.
Is that from the headstock of a QUILD guitar? :lol:

Joe

Yeah, and when I got my guitars out to play, I QUILD! :lol:

Thunderface

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
A definite step up :wink:

One way of looking at it, although while we all know that Guild's are great guitars, accurately described by Michael Wright, author of The Different Strummer feature in Vintage Guitar magazine as, "perhaps the most underrated quality guitar line in American history," Peaveys are the most underrated mid-priced guitar line in American history. That T-60 is a groundbreaking guitar, and the fact that you can find them in great condition for $300 or less continues to amaze to me.

The fact that you can get Peaveys so cheap was a factor in why I made the trade, even in giving up a rarer honeyburst '79 T-60 with toaster pickups. :) Replacing a T-60, I decided, would be easier (and cheaper) than picking up another vintage S-100, even one that had been wounded in action.

Qvart said:
He shoots, he scores!

How's the string tension compared to your '73? I still haven't tried out a later '70's S-100 with the closer tailpiece spacing.

Oh yeah, one more and you'll join the cool kids' club. As it stands, you're only 66.66666666666666666666666% a cool kid. :lol:

Thanks. I just got it yesterday, so I haven't had enough time with to fully evaluate it compared to the '73 walnut, but it is different. Getting that much closer to the self-proclaimed "cool kids club" also factored into the decision to make the trade a little. :wink: Might take me a while to get to three, though. I'm holding out for an S-100 Deluxe or a first reissue S-100.

Maxer said:
I have to say I love those crazy T-60s. I keep looking for one on the local Craigslist. Not too keen on that particular finish but I do dig the whole vibe.

But your cherry Guild, as beaten as it looks, is awesome. Congrats. How's it play? I kinda like all the mad distressing it has. As long as it's all holding together, it's fine by me.

I've bought and sold four T-60s and a bunch of other vintage Peaveys, and I continue to hold on tightly to my sunburst '82 T-25 (like a T-60 but with a 24.75-inch scale neck as opposed to the T-60's 25.5-inch scale, one volume knob instead of two and no phase switch). They are great guitars, particularly for the price you can get them for.

I kind of like the beat-up look of the S-100, too. Not nearly as cool, though, as your modded S-100, Maxermillian. So far, it is holding together, although I did have to glue the backplate together. I'm planning on bringing it to my guitar repair guy to have him check it out and see if I'm not missing anything.

killdeer43 said:
Qvart said:
He shoots, he scores!
VEERAGE ALERT!

Hey Q, speaking of scoring, I like the new avatar.
Is that from the headstock of a QUILD guitar? :lol:

Joe

Doh! I liked the new Avatar as well, but I thought the tail on the Q was just a mark in the headstock. You would think I would have noticed. It's like I was distracted by a pending guitar or something. :D

kyguild

Reaction score
Peaveys are the most underrated mid-priced guitar line in American history

I still wish I had never sold my Peavey T-60 :( :(

Telenator

Reaction score
I'd steam the neck off that little beauty faster than you can say, blah blah blah!

Then, I'd fix all the cracks, sand 'er down smooth and do a black cherry burst. Black around the edges to hide the scars, fading to a beautiful Guild cherry center. Delicious!

Thunderface

Reaction score
Kyguild, what vintage and color of T-60 did you have? They're always on eBay, so getting a replacement wouldn't be too difficult if you wanted to go down that road again.

Telenator, those are some interesting ideas. I am considering refinishing it, but I also like it's rough-around-the-edges mojo, too.

And this might be a question best asked of Hans. It has the model on the trussrod cover, which I know they didn't do with earlier vintage S-100s, but since it's a '77, and I think they were putting model names on the S-300s that came out in '77, could this be an original TRC?

Qvart

Reaction score
Thunderface said:
And this might be a question best asked of Hans. It has the model on the trussrod cover, which I know they didn't do with earlier vintage S-100s, but since it's a '77, and I think they were putting model names on the S-300s that came out in '77, could this be an original TRC?

It's original. The question for Hans would be how close to the end of the line is yours. That has to be one of the last ones made in the '70's.

VEERAGE ALERT!

Thunderface sent me a nice scan of a '74 S-100C from a catalog and I gave in and bought some (cheap) old Guild ads to hang above the newly built wall of sound. As if my life hasn't been Guild-ified enough already. :lol:

pics.jpg

Thunderface

Reaction score
Qvart said:
Thunderface said:

It's original. The question for Hans would be how close to the end of the line is yours. That has to be one of the last ones made in the '70's.

The serial number is 151478. And you're welcome on the photo. Anything I can do to help.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Qvart said:
Thunderface said:

Yes, Quart is correct. Truss rod covers with the model engraved in them were introduced during 1975.

The Sept. '77 price list still featured the S-100, so they might have had some in stock but I don't think any new ones were produced around that time. Your S-100 with ser. # 151478 is definitely one of the later ones. Didn't Danerectal have one from this period as well?

Anyway, the highest ser. numbers for S-100s (from the '70) that I have in my database are in the # 1547xx-range.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Qvart

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Didn't Danerectal have one from this period as well?

Yep. Although his carved S-100 has a TRC without the model designation. Serial number 125XXX.

P1000014.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Qvart said:
Yep. Although his carved S-100 has a TRC without the model designatioin. Serial number 125XXX.

That makes sense since my research shows that truss rod covers with the model engraved in them were introduced during 1975.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Qvart

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Qvart said:
Yep. Although his carved S-100 has a TRC without the model designation. Serial number 125XXX.

That makes sense since my research shows that truss rod covers with the model engraved in them were introduced during 1975.

Right, so it happened sometime after Danerectal's. And the space between the tailpiece and the bridge was shortened sometime around then too?

kyguild

Reaction score
Thunderface said:
Kyguild, what vintage and color of T-60 did you have? They're always on eBay, so getting a replacement wouldn't be too difficult if you wanted to go down that road again.

It's hard to remember that far back, but I believe they had just come out with the T-60 when I bought mine new. Probably 79 or 80-ish. Mine was natural finish, still had the plastic on the pickguard. I lugged it around to college for a couple of years, drug it down to Florida straight out of college, then got married, and my priorities changed a little bit, didn't have time to keep teaching myself to play lead. I think I sold the guitar and amp for around $250. :(

Yea, I've even seen a couple for sale locally, but I just haven't worked up my nerve enough to get try the electric route again. :)
Ky

Guild Dawg

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've got a natural finish T-60 and I love it. You can do all kinds of cool tricks with the pickups and it's solid as a rock. And if things get ugly and physical in some dive during a gig, you can actually wield this axe like an axe. I will keep mine forever.