Guild toaster style humbuckers

Reaction score
I tried a 70s S-100 that had it in it and it just roared through an overdriven amp. Just wondering if there's a modern equivalent (for the bridge) that comes close? Maybe from Seymour duncan? I tried the following: Duncan's '59, the Custom, the Seth Lover, and Rio Grande's BBQ. The closest I got in my SG Special was the Seth Lover. I realize it's not a apples to apples comparison when the guitar's different, but until I can get an S-100, the SG will have to do.

I'm guessing the Duncan Alnico II Pro will get me just a little bit closer still since it also uses A2 magnets and it's tone spec is the same with a tad more bass.

Alternatively, ebay has a few vintage ones for sale ($200 each), but that would be the last resort for me.

Qvart

Reaction score
jazzmonk said:
I tried a 70s S-100 that had it in it and it just roared through an overdriven amp. Just wondering if there's a modern equivalent (for the bridge) that comes close? Maybe from Seymour duncan? I tried the following: Duncan's '59, the Custom, the Seth Lover, and Rio Grande's BBQ. The closest I got in my SG Special was the Seth Lover. I realize it's not a apples to apples comparison when the guitar's different, but until I can get an S-100, the SG will have to do.

I'm guessing the Duncan Alnico II Pro will get me just a little bit closer still since it also uses A2 magnets and it's tone spec is the same with a tad more bass.

Alternatively, ebay has a few vintage ones for sale ($200 each), but that would be the last resort for me.

"Toaster style" - hadn't thought of them that way before! ;)

If you find an answer to your question let me know. Although the SD's in my '96 produce some similar tones to the HB-1's they just can't touch the vintage sound. And I'm speaking mainly of the neck p'up (59NL), since I don't generally use the one in the bridge position (JBL). Well, some, when I want to use the phase switch.

I say you should hold out for an HB-1. The ones you see regularly on Ebay tend to be from sellers who list them for prices higher than they actually fetch when auctions begin low and have no reserve. I'd say you could snag one for about $150 when the right auction comes along. I think they're worth it.

16bridgepickupunderside.jpg

Good luck. And welcome!
-G.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
IIRC Hans has some new old stock HB1s for less than those crazy Ebay BIN prices.

GAD

Reaction score
I did not realize they were called HB-1's.

Forgive my ignorance, how do I IIRC Hans? Do I need an IIRC client app or is IIRC short for something else. Lastly, is Hans's product fair and reliable?

Thanks.

danerectal

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I'd say rather than put a bunch of money (at least $300) into a set of HB-1s (although they do sound amazing), I would gather a few extra hundred to get the body and other parts. On the other hand, if you like the feel of the SG, you could pick up that gold set that's been floating around the NW area. They've been modded to Rico specs for the early BC Rich guitars that used the HB-1 (Seagull). That would tie up some space, but provide you with some pretty neato switching options. Good luck with your search for that tone wherever it may take you.

BTW (by the way), IIRC= If I Recall Correctly, and Hans is Hans Moust. He's the man, the myth, and the legend around here. Aside from writing the book on Guild Guitars (literally), he also operates a repair shop in the Netherlands and has a pretty formidable stock of original Guild parts. If Hans has what you need, he's the best source for it.

Reaction score
I just sent him an email for a quote and I'm only interested in the bridge pickup.

At this point I'm just curious about cost. I want to know how much less is it from Hans than from ebay.

My ultimate goal is to get an S-100 with HB-1s. But they don't show up on ebay that often.

BTW, read about my current adventure with a not as advertised S-100:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2370145

Qvart

Reaction score
jazzmonk said:
I just sent him an email for a quote and I'm only interested in the bridge pickup.

At this point I'm just curious about cost. I want to know how much less is it from Hans than from ebay.

My ultimate goal is to get an S-100 with HB-1s. But they don't show up on ebay that often.

BTW, read about my current adventure with a not as advertised S-100:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2370145

Ah, you were the one who bought that. We all keep a close watch on Ebay around here!

Also, that one you returned - the bridge and tuners had been changed on it. I'm not sure about the finish without seeing it in person, but it looks a lot like the finish on my '74. But maybe it was refinished if:

jazzmonk said:
There are parts where the finish is thin and the bare wood is exposed, and there are parts where the finish is thick and drippy.

Sounds to me like you made the right decision by returning it.

I didn't realize Hans still had HB-1's available. I must have been thinking of Guild knobs. Anyway, you may find a good deal on HB-1's from an Ebay seller, but you'll never have a worry buying from Hans. He's THE authority on all things Guild and wrote what we all refer to as the "bible," - volume I. He's working on volume II now.

As for the pickups on Craigslist, here's the link.

If you want to hold out for a vintage S-100 it doesn't take too long for them to show up on Ebay. But you do run the risk of having another experience like you had with the '72. However, now that you've joined this forum you have access to some help and opinions when you're shopping for Guilds. We can't guarantee you won't get burned, but we can certainly give you a heads up when something doesn't look right. And many of us not only watch Ebay but also other sites like Craigslist and gbase. We'll let you know if we come across anything worth checking out.

And if you do decide to get an S-100, you might consider the carved model (click my signature below for a picture). It's my favorite, as everyone here knows! ;)

Reaction score
Ah, you were the one who bought that. We all keep a close watch on Ebay around here!

Yessir, that be me!

Also, that one you returned - the bridge and tuners had been changed on it. I'm not sure about the finish without seeing it in person, but it looks a lot like the finish on my '74.
These are photos I took of the refin: http://yfrog.com/0vguilds100drip0jx

I'm not a collector, so non-original parts aren't as critical to me. And a refin is fine, I just wish it was done well where it's uniform and not sticky in certain places.

If you want to hold out for a vintage S-100 it doesn't take too long for them to show up on Ebay. But you do run the risk of having another experience like you had with the '72. However, now that you've joined this forum you have access to some help and opinions when you're shopping for Guilds. We can't guarantee you won't get burned, but we can certainly give you a heads up when something doesn't look right. And many of us not only watch Ebay but also other sites like Craigslist and gbase. We'll let you know if we come across anything worth checking out.

That's cool. I will already be scanning ebay daily, but it would be helpful if you would let me know about listings in craigslist.

Qvart

Reaction score
jazzmonk said:
I'm not a collector, so non-original parts aren't as critical to me. And a refin is fine, I just wish it was done well where it's uniform and not sticky in certain places.

I hear ya. But the roller bridge is part of the feel of the S-100. I'd prefer to have the original bridge, but wouldn't worry as much about tuners. A refin might allow you to snag one a bit cheaper too.

jazzmonk said:
I will already be scanning ebay daily, but it would be helpful if you would let me know about listings in craigslist.

No problem. I wouldn't be surprised if a decent one shows up before too long.

Reaction score
Good eye! I completely missed it since it wasn't listed as an S-100.

Qvart, if you don't mind me asking, what's a reasonable price for that guitar?

BTW, I did get my money back plus initial shipping.

Qvart

Reaction score
jazzmonk said:
Good eye! I completely missed it since it wasn't listed as an S-100.

Yeah, apparently it's a "JS Series"! ;)

Here's what I do with Ebay that might help:

I search Musical Instruments for "Guild" then choose the option "Sort by: Time: newly listed." After you've looked through all the Guild listings once or searched for something specific like "S-100," checking the newest listings a couple times a day ensures you won't miss anything without having to look at a lot of listings you've already seen.

As for Craigslist, I came up with a good set of Google search terms that I use. The key was adding the date. For example:

Guild musical instruments 2009-07-12 site:craigslist.org

This cuts out most of the non-guitar "guild" listings and keeps the number of search results to sift through pretty low.

jazzmonk said:
Qvart, if you don't mind me asking, what's a reasonable price for that guitar?

Less than I paid for mine!!! ;)

I'd say maybe around $1000 if it's in really good condition, give or take. They don't show the case in the auction but I'd go lower if it's non-original, maybe $900. But then again if the "soft case" is original it's probably one of the chintzy ones Guild offered back then, in which case it's nothing to get excited about.

It does look pretty damn good from what I can tell. No abuse that I can see (check the close ups of the fretboard, frets, pickup covers, headstock, binding, and back of the body). Of course there may be issues you can't see so I would just recommend trying to get more details if possible. If you want even better info ask to see the wiring and the underside of the pickups. But they're a pawn shop and may not be willing to put much more effort into selling it, or be familiar enough with guitars to give the kind of info that would help you most. You might at least be able to get them to plug it in to check that the pickups, selector switch, phase switch, pots, and output jack work correctly. But it is all original and has not been refinished. And the TRC isn't upside down!!! ;) ;) ;)

I can tell you that there is a lot finish checking, which is probably to be expected. Mine has some and with this particular natural finish it's not all that visible unless the light catches it a certain way, then it stands out. Looks like the worst of it is on the back of the body too and not the front. I'd be more concerned with chipped or worn finish, or buckle rash. Don't see any of that though. And the dings look to be pretty minor.

One thing that's not visible that I would ask to see a picture of is the back of the neck, just to make sure the finish isn't worn off or to see if there are dings or marks, maybe from sitting in a stand. Possibly the bottom of the body too where the strap pin is. Although I think that is one of the original black pins. Oh, a picture of the nut and side of the neck/fretboard would be good too because even though these are less likely to suffer decapitations than say an SG, a good bang of the headstock will cause the neck to crack or the fingerboard to begin to separate.

Feedback for the seller looks decent, and they have some experience selling and shipping instruments. Just try to get more info and if they aren't cool about it then be wary.

Okay, hope that helps.

jazzmonk said:
BTW, I did get my money back plus initial shipping.

THAT is awesome! Glad to hear it!

You paid $800 for that '72. This one will probably run a bit more than that but if it checks out it might be worth it if you really want one.

Reaction score
I search Musical Instruments for "Guild" then choose the option "Sort by: Time: newly listed." After you've looked through all the Guild listings once or searched for something specific like "S-100," checking the newest listings a couple times a day ensures you won't miss anything without having to look at a lot of listings you've already seen.
I've done that in the past with other autions. I thought this time I could accomplish the same by just filtering on "guild (s-100, s100, polara)" - it didn't occur to me that sellers could mistaken it for a jet star. Unless the S-100 belonged to the JS family at one time?

And the TRC isn't upside down!!! ;) ;) ;)
What is TRC short for?

You paid $800 for that '72. This one will probably run a bit more than that but if it checks out it might be worth it if you really want one.
I'm not too keen on the acorn motif myself - but I can also see the possibility of it growing on me. So I'm not sure how badly I want it, the final price will probably be the determining factor. Either way, I'll still be asking about the neck, frets, and nut.

Thanks for the tip on craigslist.

Qvart

Reaction score
jazzmonk said:
Unless the S-100 belonged to the JS family at one time?

Sort of - in the '60's I think there was some connection between S-100, Polara, and Jet Star. However, the bass version of the '70's S-100's are called "JS." That may be where the seller got it.

jazzmonk said:
What is TRC short for?

Truss rod cover. I always make jokes about them being upside down on Guilds I come across for sale. It's probably getting old. ;)

I'm not too keen on the acorn motif myself - but I can also see the possibility of it growing on me.

It didn't really grab me at first either, but I really wanted a '70's S-100, so I figured I might as well buy one of the ones that could fetch the best resale price if I decided to part with it.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Figured I would jump in on this thread (thanks for letting me know about it Qvart). This one caught my eye too. I search using the Guild/newly listed/ method so I don't miss ones not labeled correctly. I am looking for this model specifically ( I like the acorns) but was concerned about the condition. Although it doesn't look too too bad, the lack of info about fret wear and the electronics kept me from bidding. Although I haven't completely given up on the idea. I would have liked an OHSC too. Soft case? That could be a 19$ gig bag for all I know. I am so torn! I would hate to let this pass without bidding, or bid on this one only to have one in better shape show up next week! Ah, the agony!

Qvart

Reaction score
habilis said:
Figured I would jump in on this thread (thanks for letting me know about it Qvart). This one caught my eye too. I search using the Guild/newly listed/ method so I don't miss ones not labeled correctly. I am looking for this model specifically ( I like the acorns) but was concerned about the condition. Although it doesn't look too too bad, the lack of info about fret wear and the electronics kept me from bidding. Although I haven't completely given up on the idea. I would have liked an OHSC too. Soft case? That could be a 19$ gig bag for all I know. I am so torn! I would hate to let this pass without bidding, or bid on this one only to have one in better shape show up next week! Ah, the agony!

I am inclined to think that if it came with a gig bag they probably would have said "gig bag." However little they know about guitars it looks like they'd be familiar enough to use that term. My guess is it has one of the chintzy cases Guild offered back then - which is itself not much better than a gig bag. It might look like this:

01fullviewincase.jpg

I think Danerectal said that's the case that came with his.

Too bad they aren't more forthcoming with info on the frets and electronics because honestly I've looked at quite a few ads and this one does look to be pretty good. But then again I'd hate to give advice then have someone buy it and get stuck with a lemon! ;)

Reaction score
Qvart said:
I've looked at quite a few ads and this one does look to be pretty good. But then again I'd hate to give advice then have someone buy it and get stuck with a lemon! ;)
I'm going for it! We'll see how it plays out. It is what I am looking for. If I win and it needs some fixing up then so be it. I will deal. Fingers crossed :D

Qvart

Reaction score
habilis said:
Qvart said:
I've looked at quite a few ads and this one does look to be pretty good. But then again I'd hate to give advice then have someone buy it and get stuck with a lemon! ;)
I'm going for it! We'll see how it plays out. It is what I am looking for. If I win and it needs some fixing up then so be it. I will deal. Fingers crossed :D

Cool! I hope it does work out. But remember - if you're not comfortable there will be others.

Good luck!