Long overdue.

danerectal

Reaction score
So out of the blue my sister and her husband bought me a digital camera. I'm nothing near a photographer, but I've been here for a year and a half and I've yet to expose my collection. I was unsure if this would be the place to post these, but they're almost all solid bodies, so...

P1000014.jpg

P1000015.jpg

Dr. Spivey

Reaction score
Nice looking collection, Dane. Looks like that D4 is nice and clean. You got a deal on that I'd say. :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Mighty fine Dane; love that 'burst! J

Maxer

Reaction score
Nice collection, Dane. All that Guild S-type goodness!

Qvart

Reaction score
danerectal said:
I've been here for a year and a half and I've yet to expose my collection.

Funny, I've been meaning to ask you for pics here lately since we've had so many discussions about our gits, but we keep getting sidetracked on other topics, or I hog the conversations while thinking out loud about some purchase I'm considering. ;)

That's a sweet collection with some good variety!

How's the Red River doing?

danerectal

Reaction score
Qvart said:

As of right now, it's subsiding. However, there is a forecast for nearly 6" of snow due to begin falling on Monday or Tuesday so this may be the eye of the storm.

Qvart

Reaction score
danerectal said:
Qvart said:

As of right now, it's subsiding. However, there is a forecast for nearly 6" of snow due to begin falling on Monday or Tuesday so this may be the eye of the storm.

I heard earlier today the water was about two feet from the level that would spill over the levee, or dam, or whatever it is that's holding the river back.

Send me an IM if you're over at FB.

guildzilla

Reaction score
Nice gear, Dane.

What would your observations be about the playability, pickups, etc., if you compared and contrasted the S-90 and S-100's? Which one do you gig with? It would be cool to hear your comments while they are all sitting in front of us.

Qvart

Reaction score
guildzilla said:
Nice gear, Dane.

What would your observations be about the playability, pickups, etc., if you compared and contrasted the S-90 and S-100's? Which one do you gig with? It would be cool to hear your comments while they are all sitting in front of us.

Not to jump in to this in front of Dane, but he's home now sans internet, so it'll be a little while before we get to hear his response.

Comparing my gits I can tell you that they are similar, but the S-90 definitely feels like the little brother of the S-100: a slightly lower line production. With one tone and one volume and no phase switch the S-90 has a more limited range of sounds. The pickups have the same sound in both but the S-100's pickups have more oomph and are hotter. But then again I remember seeing something about Guild improving the HB-1's at some point, I think maybe '73, which might explain it. My S-90 is from '72 and my S-100 is from '74.

As for gigging, I don't have any projects going (and I played drums in my last band anyway). That question is totally in Dane's court. But if I were playing out at the moment I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them. But the S-90 would be the backup. Dane is a big fan of the S-90 so I think he does use that one. Actually, if I remember correctly, his band uses two Guilds.

I'm with you - I'd like to hear Dane's analysis and comparison. Also, I'd like to hear how an S-100 from some year earlier than mine differs from later years, and how an earlier S-100 compares to the S-90.

Hope that contributed a little bit to the discussion. ;)

\m/ -_- \m/

Qvart

Reaction score
Qvart said:
Dane is a big fan of the S-90 so I think he does use that one. Actually, if I remember correctly, his band uses two Guilds.

Ha! I was right - for once! ;)

Hammer

Reaction score
Black mask...check.
Black gloves...check.
Prybar...check.
Lockpics...check.
Next stop...Dane's house.

:mrgreen:

Qvart

Reaction score
Hammer said:
Black mask...check.
Black gloves...check.
Prybar...check.
Lockpics...check.

Hehe....and while you're in Fargo...(I will be tiptoeing my way to PA....shhh....be vewy qwuiet....I'm huntin' Gwuilds....)

\m/ -_- \m/

Hammer

Reaction score
Qvart said:
Hammer said:
Black mask...check.
Black gloves...check.
Prybar...check.
Lockpics...check.

Hehe....and while you're in Fargo...(I will be tiptoeing my way to PA....shhh....be vewy qwuiet....I'm huntin' Gwuilds....)

\m/ -_- \m/

You assume she doesn't travel with me... :D

Singin' Dave

Reaction score
Sweet collection. Curious as to which S100 is the '70, as all seem to have the phase switch, which I thought was not introduced until '72 or '73.

Hammer

Reaction score
Singin' Dave said:
Sweet collection. Curious as to which S100 is the '70, as all seem to have the phase switch, which I thought was not introduced until '72 or '73.

Assumming his sig is color coded to match the guitars, which it seems to be, the red one, second from the left...which also looks like it has had some modifications done to it as well, so maybe the phase switch was added during the mod process.

Hammer

Reaction score
Man, while I am not a huge fan of the gold hardware nor the 'corns, I keep drooling over that purty burst. :shock:

Qvart

Reaction score
Singin' Dave said:

The phase switch threw me off too for the same reason, and I've mentioned the same point in other threads (I don't remember where off hand).

The easier way to tell is to look at the spacing between the bridges and tailpieces. The ones with the wider spacing are pre-'76.

Hammer said:
You assume she doesn't travel with me... :D

Do they all (
4ae68b8c.jpg
) travel with you? :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: