Westerly Guilds Came w/Bone Nut and Saddle?

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm assuming a late 70's F50 would have come with bone nut and saddle but thought I'd ask...bone?

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
Micarta (plastic), an early attempt at a "stable" material (like we think of "Tusq", today).

No kidding. Glad I asked. I see a conversion in my near future if the original nut and saddle are still present in the F50 I just bought (it's at the hospital getting the bridge reglued at moment or I'd check). Tks much sir.

crank

Reaction score
My '81 G37 had a plastic nut which broke a long time ago and I had it replaced with bone.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know my D25 was plastic and most likely still is. I have only changed the tuning heads.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
sixx, as you may well know, unlike synthetics, not all natural materials are created equal. Bone (or so-called fossil) can be hit or miss. When it is a definite hit, I believe it to be a superior material choice to the synthetic alternatives. It can provide for a very audible improvement in the sound. But there is always a risk, however slight, that your first effort(s) at nut and/or saddle replacement could be less than spectacular. (I may regret this later, but) on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 representing the best-of-best (such as the fossilized femur of the right front leg of the giant Carpathian Dragonfly), Cow Bone can come in at a solid 8, maybe even 9, where the most highly regarded plastics may eek out a 6 (to me) or possibly a 7 (to others).

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
sixx, as you may well know, unlike synthetics, not all natural materials are created equal. Bone (or so-called fossil) can be hit or miss. When it is a definite hit, I believe it to be a superior material choice to the synthetic alternatives. It can provide for a very audible improvement in the sound. But there is always a risk, however slight, that your first effort(s) at nut and/or saddle replacement could be less than spectacular. (I may regret this later, but) on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 representing the best-of-best (such as the fossilized femur of the right front leg of the giant Carpathian Dragonfly), Cow Bone can come in at a solid 8, maybe even 9, where the most highly regarded plastics may eek out a 6 (to me) or possibly a 7 (to others).

Since I own a Nautical Jumbo, I'm going to search out a good specimen catfish saddle. I believe it will empower me to play southern blues most proficiently.

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
My '96 DV6 came with plastic nut saddle bridgepins. I made a tusq saddle for it not long after i got her. Replaced the bent-up & wonky bridgepins with tusq at the 1st string change my luthier replaced my tusq saddle with bone a couple years later citing better response from the pickup. i couldent really tell either way really.
Kept the plastic nut-never really had reason to swap it out

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had a Tusq saddle and end pins put on my D64 years ago.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Since I own a Nautical Jumbo, I'm going to search out a good specimen catfish saddle. I believe it will empower me to play southern blues most proficiently.

We've also heard very good things about fossilized Tasmanian armadillo pizzle for bridge pins.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Kept the plastic nut-never really had reason to swap it out

Bone nut will enhance the sustain of unfretted strings.
I had bone N &S put in my D25 at the first refret and the results were noticeable and favorable, and I do play a lot of "open" chords.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What about 1964 D40's ?

'bout 99+% certain it would have been the aforementioned micarta.
Can't recall Hans ever mentioning anything else on any regular production flattops, even the venerable D55.
It's been around in different forms for a long time and is actually very well suited to the application:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micarta
"Micarta industrial laminate sheet is a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of prepreg. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics, or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic."

I suspect in the case of Guild it's the cellulose paper type. It seems the most consistent with the "texture" of the stuff.
For counterpoint Guild made a point of letting it be known in the price list/catalog when they did go to bone N&S and adi bracing in Tacoma.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My 1976 G41 Jumbo Dread was a night and day difference with a bone nut and bone compensated saddle installed. I am just not a fan of the Micarta sound but for the time period it was a pretty good material if you think about it. I am sure your Luthier knows what he is doing Sixx but if you find you need a place to get a bone nut or saddle, a lot of people here have had great luck with Bob Colosi's stuff at www.guitarsaddles.com Personally every Westerly made guitar I have owned truly blossomed in tone with the installation of a Bone nut, saddle (compensated or not), and bridge pins. It is one of those little tweaks that when it pays off pays off big time in my opinion.

TX

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...Personally every Westerly made guitar I have owned truly blossomed in tone with the installation of a Bone nut, saddle (compensated or not), and bridge pins. It is one of those little tweaks that when it pays off pays off big time in my opinion.

TX
Opinion shared.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wut? No walrus, walrus?

My Epi Masterbilt EF500 RAVS came with fossilized walrus ivory pins and saddle. That is one sonic little 000.

rav221.jpg