Orpheum Series Nomenclature

ladytexan

Reaction score
Many guitar-related forums have had numerous threads relating to the difference(s) between body shapes. I don’t want to rehash this. I would just like a little clarification on the Orpheum Series models designated as OM (because the Guild website is confusing).

In the Orpheum Series overall description, this is what is written:
“…… In traditional dreadnought, jumbo and orchestra models, each instrument stylishly evokes the golden 1930s-era of U.S. acoustic guitar design and construction.”

In the ‘Orchestra Model’ description for the 6-string model, this is what is written: “The Guild Custom Shop presents the beautifully crafted and rich-sounding Orpheum series “Orchestra Model” auditorium-style acoustic. U.S.-built by the talented luthiers of the Guild Custom Shop in scenic New Hartford, Conn. …..”

In the Orpheum Slot Head, 12-fret models description, this is what is written:
“…..In traditional dreadnought, jumbo, orchestra and 000 6- and 12-string models, each instrument stylishly evokes the golden 1930s-era of U.S. acoustic guitar design and construction.”

Here are my confusion points: From everything I’ve ever read about the Orchestra Model (OM), it is a 14-fret model only. So, should the 12-fret (6- or 12-string) models be referred to as OM or OOO? It seems the 12-fret “OM shaped” models get referred to in both ways, as per the above. (Label is no help.)

Referring to the Orchestra Model as an “auditorium-style acoustic” adds to the confusion.

Thoughts?

14113007378_a50b3b6006_z_d.jpg

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Toni, there's a very simple explanation for all this, and the answer comes from Martin's naming convention. "OM" and "000" bodies are exactly the same size (15" lower bout), the only difference is that the 000 is short scale, and the OM is standard scale.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Toni, there's a very simple explanation for all this, and the answer comes from Martin's naming convention. "OM" and "000" bodies are exactly the same size (15" lower bout), the only difference is that the 000 is short scale, and the OM is standard scale.

Usually! But even Martin can't always keep this straight: My Martin 000-MMV (a model built for Guitar Center) is the standard scale.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
kind of wish they would have just stayed with the F nomenclature.

ladytexan

Reaction score
Sandy, that's my point. The Orpheum 12-fret (short scale) is referred to as an OM. AND, the lower bout of the Orpheums is 15 1/2".

14296793331_a60c3fdac6_z_d.jpg

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sandy, that's my point. The Orpheum 12-fret (short scale) is referred to as an OM. AND, the lower bout of the Orpheums is 15 1/2".

14296793331_a60c3fdac6_z_d.jpg

Well, I guess that explains why it won't fit in an OM case! Guild just being consistently inconsistent again. From the sound of Jeff's post, Martin's getting in on the act, too.

Edit: I guess either Martin or GC didn't want it being called the "OM-MMV"?

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is "0000" Auditorium size...or just the "M" series?
None of them, both the 0000 and M are "Grand Auditorium" body size! The 0000 designation comes from the fact that the width of its lower bout is 16 inches, as opposed to the 000's 15 inches. Unlike the J models that combine the M series outline with the body depth of a D series dreadnought, the M-38's body for instance has the shallower depth of a 000.
The OM and 000 are Auditorium body sized, as said before Orchestra and Auditorium guitars actually have the same body size, what (usually) makes them sound different is their scale length; the auditorium uses a 24.9” scale length, and the orchestra is a little longer at 25.4”.

By the way, for the 12 fret models Martin uses "000-12 Fret" as body size, such a 000-28V with 12 frets has 25.4" scale. But Guild uses a shorter 24.75" scale for the Orchestra body shape with 12 frets and slothead.
I wouldn't give too much about the description on the Guild webpage...
Ralf

Last edited:

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
How do you like it Jeff?

It's good but not great. Feels good, plays nicely, but sounds a bit thin. I bought it in late 2012, just as my Guild madness was really kicking in, and it did not cure my F30 longings.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It's good but not great. Feels good, plays nicely, but sounds a bit thin. I bought it in late 2012, just as my Guild madness was really kicking in, and it did not cure my F30 longings.

Now that's a surprising (to me) comment.
Not here tp promote the MMV, but I owned an F30 only very shortly, because it sounded "thin" to me, and in another hand, there is not a time when I play the MMV that I don't wonder about how "huge" and "loud" that thing is.... funny.

Geo

Reaction score
there is not a time when I play the MMV that I don't wonder about how "huge" and "loud" that thing is.... funny.

It is funny because I can say the exact same thing about my F30R. Maybe it's a YMMV MMV thing.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's my way of expressing brotherly love to my dear friends. Please don't let this confuse you, and I promise it will strictly stay between you and me.

:laughing:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is funny because I can say the exact same thing about my F30R. Maybe it's a YMMV MMV thing.

Even though Martins are far more consistent than Gibsons, it seems that there are certain models that vary widely. I have played far more HD28s that I didn't like than ones I did. Also, I owned a 000-MMV for a couple of days because Pascal liked his so much that didn't do anything for me, though I believe that his is a good one because I know he has a great ear. Same goes for the OMJM (John Mayer). The guitar player in my band bought one that is wonderful. I've played three others that weren't. Interestingly enough, the best acoustic guitar at my local GC now is a relatively lowly Martin DSR-GC for $1199, which I'd buy in a heartbeat if I were looking for a rosewood dread, satin finish and all!

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ok, thanks for the "love." Just none of those kisses on each cheek next time we meet, OK?

:uncomfortableness:

(Tom, you can get off the floor now...)