Bear Claw Sitka Spruce, Better Sounding?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ridgemont said:
Beautiful yes, but with my palate, I have found $10 bottles of wine that taste just as good to me as ones that cost $150. Often times this is the case, but not always.
I never had a $150 bottle of wine yet! A $3000 guitar last much longer! :lol:
Ralf

micklevanon

Reaction score
$150 dollar bottles of wine - check. Very good indeed, but yes, they don't last long.

And AlohaJoe, of course, though I find rolled up gaffer tape on the part of the binding touching the floor and that part of the neck touching the stool to work better than gum. But either one works. :)

m

idealassets

Reaction score
$150 dollar bottles of wine - check. Very good indeed
Yes, but make certain not to drink the wine, and then feel in the mood to put a costly guitar against a wood stool on a hardwood floor, just to see if maybe, whoops!.....

satirikus

Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
And another GSR F-30 Rosewood in Munich !!! Great! You got it from Musik-Schmidt in Frankfurt? They had 3 when I bought my one in 2010. He shows all 3 as sold now!
Best regards,
Ralf

Yes it's from session music, formerly known as Musik Schmidt. Perhaps I will call the guitar Germanys last top model. :D

So it's your comment "best OM style guitar I ever had" in their ratings I guess?

alpep

Reaction score
I love the look of bear claw not so sure if it sounds better but maybe you think it does

micklevanon

Reaction score
SkippyX said:
bluesypicky said:
I actually believe bear claws could give you a better sound. Nails can be brittle.
bearclaw.jpg

Mmmmmm, I love the look of bearclaw too. And the taste!

m

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
idealassets said:
Mmmmmm, I love the look of bearclaw too. And the taste!
But don't play your guitar immediately afterwards, or your fret board and strings could taste good also.
I don't mind having to lick food off my guitar, but licking if off the thtringth cuths up my tongue.

idealassets

Reaction score
I don't mind having to lick food off my guitar, but licking if off the thtringth cuths up my tongue.
-More practice is required, somehow Jimi Hendrix managed to pick his guitar with his teeth, and not get all cut up. But then agan not many other guitar players delved into his style of showmanship.

Craig

satirikus

Reaction score
After learning what NGD stands for I rather wanted to open a new thread called NGD - Guild GSR F30 Rosewood.

Unfortunately the NGD ended up with no love between the guitar and me. :(

I'm a bit sad because I really like the looks and the handling. My F47R is beautiful but the GSR F30 IS a beauty.
But the tone isn't mine. The F47R is so much more versatile, while the GSR F30 is in my opinion 'only' an outstanding fingerpicking giant.
So I'll send her back so that someone with more fingerpicking skills can get her! :D

I know you like pictures. Do you like pictures? Here they are.

In the case:
GuildGSRF30_01.jpg

Hm, mastergrade rosewood?
GuildGSRF30_03.jpg

In comparison the F47R - honestly I'd call this mastergrade rosewood but I don't know the rules:
JAS6.jpg

Invented new word - niceneck:
GuildGSRF30_05.jpg

THIS is bearclaw:
GuildGSRF30_07.jpg

Headstock majesty:
GuildGSRF30_08.jpg

Nice arrows:
GuildGSRF30_09.jpg

Last one:
GuildGSRF30_10.jpg

Have a nice day! :)
Lars

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is one BEAUTIFUL guitar!! Stunning, and I love the bear-claw. But I do understand your situation.... and can agree that for me, a guitar that is only stellar as a fingerstyle guitar is of no use to me. Sorry it didn't work out. And THANKS for the great pics!! No problem photographing that bear-claw!!

satirikus

Reaction score
Thank you!

Today she left me. Perhaps I should write a song about this little misunderstanding. Beatles did this a thousand times. :)

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
if you can hear the difference between clean straight grain Spruce and Bear Claw in a blind test I'll pole-vault to the moon and walk back. :lol:[/quote]

That would be the longest moon walk ever....! :shock: :lol: Steffan
by the way Ronnie Hawkins was doing the moonwalk before M.J. was born.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3WXLDluxCM

idealassets

Reaction score
Unfortunately the NGD ended up with no love between the guitar and me.
satikirus,
I'm sorry that the GSR F30r guitar didn't work. Apparently you were not able to play it until it was sent to you? I'm quite baffled it was NG (no good). It seems as though Guild is quite fond of this guitar.

So after all the craftsmanship that went into this guitar, are you saying that it is not a very good all purpose guitar?

I can't imagine that the F47 would be that different of a guitar, but you would know from your experience with both of them.

I would have to admit that I feel the same way about my F50r guitar. John Denver was able to play one and make it sound great, but it no longer suits me very well. On the other hand my F512 is exactly the guitar for me.

At least you still have a Guild that is the right one.

Craig

satirikus

Reaction score
Don't rate my experience too high, I'm just a middle-class guitar player. :(
But if you listen to both guitars you can clearly hear the difference as soon as you strumm a little harder. The F47r has a shiny, deep sound while the GSR F30 likes better to be played by just your fingers. Very soft strumming was okay.

The craftmanship was excellent. The sound fingerpicked was excellent. But in my opinion it's not a versatile instrument at all.