Trip to the Westerly Jonnycake Center Tomorrow?

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool! I was there a month ago -- nice little pilgrimage for sure!

There's a carpentry shop around the back (cabinet makers if I remember right). The guy there let us stick our heads inside, told us a little of what he knew about the place since Guild left town. The whole building had been subdivided and partitioned off into a half a dozen or more little businesses. I collected some rocks from the parking lot.

workedinwesterly

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
We used to dump our spent chemicals in that parking lot....
Do those rocks glow ?

plaidseason

Reaction score
wileypickett said:

There's a carpentry shop around the back (cabinet makers if I remember right). The guy there let us stick our heads inside, told us a little of what he knew about the place since Guild left town. The whole building had been subdivided and partitioned off into a half a dozen or more little businesses. I collected some rocks from the parking lot.

I haven't been there since right after they closed. I played a show in downtown Westerly and then drove over right after. I sat in the parking lot for a while, really contemplated stealing the large sign over the door, and then decided I better get going.

plaidseason

Reaction score
workedinwesterly said:
We used to dump our spent chemicals in that parking lot....
Do those rocks glow ?

I love Han's book more than words can describe, but sometimes when I read your comments, I think about how you and some of the other Westerly guys should put together a coffee table book of quotes and tidbits of random information. Seriously.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
plaidseason said:
wileypickett said:

I haven't been there since right after they closed. I played a show in downtown Westerly and then drove over right after. I sat in the parking lot for a while, really contemplated stealing the large sign over the door, and then decided I better get going.
Bwahahahaha!!!! Is that true, plaid? I love stories like that!

And wiley, did you really collect some rocks? That's awesome. In a few thousand years, when someone decides to do an excavation of "old Westerly", perhaps they'll use your rocks to do a soil match. :)

workedinwesterly

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
hey hideglue....
catgut your tongue ?

Looks like we were in the wrong business...we should have been selling rocks !

hideglue

Reaction score
workedinwesterly said:
hey hideglue....
catgut your tongue ?

Ain't that a kick in the sac...
And like your sister used to tell me, "Iffin yooze ain'tz gut nuthin' nice ta say...."

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
hideglue said:
workedinwesterly said:
hey hideglue....
catgut your tongue ?

Ain't that a kick in the sac...
And like your sister used to tell me, "Iffin yooze ain'tz gut nuthin' nice ta say...."

:shock:

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, people here keep saying how "Guild rocks" -- I thought I should have a few!

I wonder what happened to the sign over the door?! The Jonnycake facade now covers up that end of the building with oh-so-fetching-to-the-eye aluminum siding. Maybe it's underneath? Maybe it's for sale at the Thrift Store?!

And the Jonnycakes folks have added what appears to be an office or something -- grafted right onto the Guild entrance end of the building. Makes the entrance to the parking lot a little tight.

If these stones could only speak. . . !

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe take an old Westerly Guild along and do a couple of tunes, in the parking lot...those rocks might need a re-charge, or you might awaken some of the old Guild ghosts that could be hanging around there...now if Hans is willing to do a documentary, wouldn't it be neat to have a Guild concert in the parking lot, maybe even hit the Guiness book of records for the most Guilds assembled in one place. :D Steffan

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
wileypickett said:
I wonder what happened to the sign over the door?!

You mean this one?

Guild-sign.jpg

Somebody asked the owner of the building if he could have it and he could if he would take it down himself!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

plaidseason

Reaction score
I should've taken the sign when I had the chance!

We stop in there yesterday. I had mixed feelings about the visit. Despite the addition of the modular section, the building still looks a bit rough around the edges, a ghostly version of its former self. The Town of Westerly repaved the street, although It looks like they didn't spend a whole lot of time on that. I took a few pictures, but nothing too exciting.

The real highlight is that my dragon loving near-six year old stumbled upon a really cool green, ceramic dragon clock in the Johnny Cake thrift Store - which seemed like a symbol of gratitude from the spirits of Westerly/Guild past.

Surprisingly my daughter actually seemed quite pleased and interested to see the building where my (and someday to be her) guitars were made. She told everyone she saw that we there to see "The old guitar factory." And in her youthful brilliance, seeing all the woodworking going on, she happily noted that she was "glad people are still making things here."

-Chris

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hansmoust said:
wileypickett said:
I wonder what happened to the sign over the door?!

You mean this one?

Guild-sign.jpg

Hans,

I was actually thinking of the one in workedinwesterly's signature image (how do you add those anyway?!).

In that picture the sign is near the front (street side) of the building, no? The end that's now Jonnycakes.

Wasn't this picture taken at the other end of the building? I can see an outcropping in the distance in your photo -- which would mean the back of the building, the parking lot area, is to left, not the street -- I think!)

Or is that a house, on the other side of the street?

Trying to orient myself!

Glenn//.

plaidseason

Reaction score
That's the house across the street in the background.

There's now a loading dock/garage entrance to the right of those steps.

Also for your metaphysical types, is that the ghost of Al Dronge above Han's head in the photo?