Ngd-dd6 mce

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hopefully, this link will still work and if not, I apologize.

It's funny how peoples (at least my) preferences change over time. When I first started accumulating acoustics all I wanted was Rosewood. Later, Mahogany replaced Rosewood as my preference with Maple as a distant 3rd. Now. Maple seems to be my tonewood of choice. I love the crisp, clear, un-muddied tones you get with a great Maple guitar. So for me at least it's:
1.) Maple
2.) Mahogany
3.) Rosewood

I had the Rosewood version of this guitar and I really liked it but didn't love it so I sold it. Now I have the Maple. I think I got a really fair deal from a guitar store in Charlotte, NC.

Anyway, if the link works, here's what I got.

https://reverb.com/item/26807213-guild-dd6mce-doyle-dykes-signature-sunburst-2013

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Richard, the listing has ended but if you scroll down the images are still there. That's about the prettiest thing I ever saw!! And that burst!! WOWZA!! CONGRATS, my friend!! :encouragement:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'll add my "WOWZA!" to Tom's! Great score, Richard!

walrus

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Another "wowza" and looks like an early morning sunrise at the beach.
Had a JF65 maple and have nothing but positives to say about it. Sound, looks, and playability were all first class.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow! Very nice, Richard.

Now as a contrast to your story, I had a DD6-MCE (actually a 6 and a 12) and I thought there was nothing better. Then I picked up an RCE version and the maples soon became gone. And that DD6-RCE is still my favorite guitar ever.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I can understand that Dave. I really liked the RW version as well. It just seems that Maple is my new love, both for sound/tone and looks.

I truly understand though. I don't think many of would be unhappy with either.

wileypickett

Reaction score
Cool Daddy-O!

Speaking of top woods, I recently picked up an old Alvarez MD65 with a cedar top, and I'm pretty smitten with the sound.

This lead me trying cedar-top guitars from other makers -- Taylor, Seagull, Art & Lutherie, etc. -- and none of them do much for me.

I got the Alvarez at a yard sale for next to no money. They're cheap when they turn up used; no one collects them; they're not discussed much, but they sound pretty great IMO.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yowza! Now that’s something I could really get into. Checks all the boxes. Dang that’s a nice one. Well done and congratulations!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Speechless! Congratulations!

sknrmiuklney1iphr6yo.jpg

Ralf

dbirchett

Reaction score
wvskdjvhzubs0w5dnluq.jpg

"Scottie, set the image to stun."

"Jim, I didn't need to set it, it came that way!"

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Richard that double D is gorgeous! Absolutely stunning! I dig the Florentine cutaway!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i bet maple one can hear the notes better, right richard? like better for overall picking out of notes and fingerstyle?

i probably need to morph into a maple b/s dread one of these years. G37 or D30 be cool :)

Tom O

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice. I love my DD6-MCE. The sound grows on you. Not as boomy as my Gibson J-50.
Loved it so much I got a burst DD12-MCE to go with it. Action is so Low.

Aristera

Reaction score
Richard,

The back is exquisite! Is there any bear clawing on the top? My DD12-MCE has some. My back is entirely different, more like tiger striping. I was hoping to get one like yours but one was not available when Guild had their inventory liquidation. What kind of transducer does it have?

Once again, it is beautiful and hopefully provides inspiration too.

James

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi James. I don't actually have the guitar yet but hope to see it tomorrow (Wed.) I'm not sure about any bear claw on the top but I don't think there is. The pickup system is LR Baggs. I know many prefer the Barbarosa (sp???) system but since I seldom plug in I'm sure the Bagg's will be just fine for me.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

very nice Ralf. there is actually one locally for sale for 895. as well, a grail D25 for 795. normally, i would be all over it, but i just dont have the funds, and the two guild dreads i have now are fine, mostly playing the beat up to heck D35. bu thanks for posting this, looks like a beauty.