Are any disinfecting wipes safe on a guitar's finish?

PH_Graphics

Reaction score
Later this week I expect to try a used F512 for sale not too far from me. When I called the store to ask some questions the salesperson mentioned that I should come soon, as "there have been a lot of people looking at this guitar." And I assume looking means picking up and playing.

That got me to thinking about social distancing. Yes, I can wipe my own hands AFTER playing a guitar that's been handled by multiple people lately, but I'd really prefer to pick up a guitar which has been effectively -- and safely -- disinfected in advance.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Good question.

I know that sunscreen and/or sweat can cloud NCL finish. I'm not sure if deodorant is part of that equation too. However, mild (Ivory) soap or Dawn does nothing. I assume (but do not know) that other disinfectant soaps are harmless.

I would imagine that disinfectant wipes would be OK, but I don't know.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I used disinfectant wipes on an old Sovereign that had gotten a little mildewed. It didn't do much at all about the mildew, but I guess it disinfected the surface. FWIW, vinegar took care of the mildew.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would be very careful! Pure isopropyl alcohol (IPA, isopropanol, rubbing alcohol, etc) as used concentrated in hand sanitizer will damage (or at least dull) a nitro finish as far s I know. If it only has a low concentration it probably will do no harm. But CDC recommends the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers with greater than 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol for fighting the virus, so that seems already dangerous for NCL to me.

In the current situation you should not at all share instruments between people. But I agree, that is difficult and impossible if you look at an item in a store. No idea what to do in that case...

Ralf

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
^ I've never had any problem with that. Ivory should be fine. I've used Dawn liquid soap too, and I think that's fine. In both cases, very little though and never left on the surfaces for more than a few seconds.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
^ I've never had any problem with that. Ivory should be fine. I've used Dawn liquid soap too, and I think that's fine. In both cases, very little though and never left on the surfaces for more than a few seconds.
Diluted, right?
Also, would be wary of using it on checked lacquer, might leave undesirable residue behind (in the cracks, or even swell the wood), if that's something the owner wants to avoid?

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep, soapy water on a soft cloth. Ask first; maybe the store has their own wipes policy in place. I would avoid anything with alcohol on the guitar's finish!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Good point on checked or broken lacquer, Al. And, yes, of course, diluted. Like you're washing dishes, that is. And not very much either.