NGD - OM-120, with a twist

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
So a couple days ago I'm cruising the forum, and this thread takes place. If you just want the tl;dr, here it is -- richardp69 alerted us to a Koa Jumbo Junior on Reverb, and Okieguildfan pounced. I looked at the seller's other stock, and something caught my eye . . . and I pounced. There's more to it in the thread, so check it out.

Anyway, I’ve been looking hard at the OM-120 model. I have the D-125 in both six and twelve string versions, and i have a hog Taylor GS Mini, and i feel like the gap between the big guitars and the little guitar is just too . . . big. I like the big body sound, and the Mini lacks that, and its fretboard lives up to its name. So, when I see this oddball 120 -- an OM-120-2 -- with a cheap asking price, I am intrigued . . . and soon, I’m all in, and I make an offer that I think is on the edge of acceptability.

Two hours later my offer is accepted, so maybe I misjudged there, but that’s water under the bridge and now I’m about to get a new guitar.

If you’re wondering when this story gets interesting, that time has come. The seller name is Acoustic Sales, which is generic enough, and they describe themselves as a liquidator who deals in manufacturer-direct product such as refurbs, prototypes, production samples, and the like. When I get my order confirmation, though, it comes from "Cordoba Music Group" . . .so,cool, it's Cordoba directly! But then their return email is ebayacousticsales at gee mail dot com, and Cordoba is a big enough company to have their own email domain, and, um . . . Spidey senses are lit.

So I call Cordoba at the number in their web site, and I speak with a young lady named August. I explain the situation, and she tells me that Acoustic Sales an authorized seller, which is reassuring, because at this point I'm wondering if I've been had and there's a counterfeit coming my way. She then asks me which one I bought, and I tell her the OM-120. She says "Dash 2?" Well now I'm feeling even better, because not only does she know the sellers, she knows this actual instrument. I say yes, that's the one, and she says "That's a good one."

I am relieved. We wish each other a good day. The work day carries on as usual/

Come home, and the wife had a long day at work. She is in no mood for stories, just vodka and cranberry juice. I support this. I keep everything to myself.

A new day rises, life is normal again, and the guitar is here 24 hours and 45 minutes after ordering. I want pictures, but I also want the box to sit for a few hours before opening, and now the light isn’t great, so here are a couple of the listing photos. If i get inspired later maybe I’ll add my own.

kppgr1ultr9jhkif2m34.jpg

hhyz9ugvsb34bcsfwokh.jpg

The wood is gorgeous to my eye. I asked if this was an iteration toward the production version, and how it differs from the production version if at all, and I was told that it's a variation on the standard model . . . basically something they were checking out, with a satin neck instead of gloss, and it lacking the Chesterfield logo on the headstock. It also lacks a pick guard, so for now it's strictly hand-played. Maybe I'll get one of those clear cling ones since I really like how it looks naked.

So how does it play? It feels and sounds great to me. It has nearly the body of the dreadnought, but it's a lot better fit for relaxing on the couch with. Tone and sustain are really nice, and the satin neck, which I think is what this guitar was meant to test, feels nice. The strings feel a little stiff, so I'll need to get the gauge out and see if it needs some setup, or maybe just some different strings. And, the full scale length and 1 3/4" nut let my clumsy fingers play a little cleaner than they usually do. I might not need the Taylor any more. This was kind of the goal.

So far it's promising. Really promising.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The jumbo junior has a very short scale so the tension should be lower anyway, despite the strings but, you can put any strings on it you want. I saw that guitar, I'm glad someone here got it. It's beautiful. I've heard Koa as a top wood is more akin to mahogany than spruce. See what you think. Short scale, get it set up right and you should have a super nice guitar. Congrats!! :encouragement:

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
Nah man I got the OM-120. Full scale, 1 3/4" nut. All mahogany, spacious AF. :highly_amused:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whoops!! My bad!! I got it confused with the Jumbo Junior that someone else bought! Sorry, this is the big one! That's so awesome!! I wasn't paying attention, my friend!! What a great guitar!! Wowza!! :encouragement:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...So I call Cordoba at the number in their web site, and I speak with a young lady named August. I explain the situation, and she tells me that Acoustic Sales an authorized seller, which is reassuring, because at this point I'm wondering if I've been had and there's a counterfeit coming my way. She then asks me which one I bought, and I tell her the OM-120. She says "Dash 2?" Well now I'm feeling even better, because not only does she know the sellers, she knows this actual instrument. I say yes, that's the one, and she says "That's a good one.".....

Haha! Great story! I like this August chick! And sounds like you got lucky! Well, in a GAS sort of way. :wink-new: Major congrats! :encouragement:

Tom O

Reaction score
Guild Total
They also have a F-1212E prototype and a F-1512E prototype as well.

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
Yep. The OM-120 that's up now has a printed label where mine is handwritten, but they look the same otherwise. Mine has a label on the inside, opposite the heel . . . the tail block? I'm verbally challenged today. Anyway, it looks like some kind of production tracking number.

When I ran my inspection mirror and flashlight around the inside, everything was super clean. Not a bit of glue to be seen. I can see a little bit of adhesive or extra finish at the heel joint, but other than that, my amateur eye can find nothing wrong. I might have to call Cordoba back and see if these were shipped from overseas or if they did them there in Oxnard . . . a US built OM-120 would be a bit of a unicorn. It probably isn't that, but it never hurts to ask.

And following up on the outlet dealer idea, yes, it does look that way. Someone looking to score a deal on a new US-made instrument could do worse than to put them in their Reverb feed. You just never know.

Last edited:

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
Just as an addition, my shipment came in today (the koa jumbo junior). The shipping label was from Cordoba Music Group. Not sure why they resell under the name Acoustic Sales. A few other brands have their own Reverb shops for B stock and prototypes.

jcwu

Reaction score
Just as an addition, my shipment came in today (the koa jumbo junior). The shipping label was from Cordoba Music Group. Not sure why they resell under the name Acoustic Sales. A few other brands have their own Reverb shops for B stock and prototypes.

To have your own Reverb shop, you need to dedicate an employee (or part of an employee's time) to managing the shop. If you go through another agent like Acoustic Sales, they get the sale, send you part of the money, you slap a label on a box and out it goes. Yes, you're losing a percentage of the sale, but maybe the sales volume isn't high enough to justify having their own b-stock/used-stock/prototype sales unit.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Super interesting story, tails... Thanks for sharing. Yeah, we're getting a little insight into how CMG is dealing with their seconds and prototypes. This is cool.

Guild in New Hartford (under Fender) used MIRC as a reseller for guitars that had cosmetic flaws (blems) and they were sold without warrantee. I believe that (other than directly at our LMG event) NH also occasionally sold seconds as well (with warrantee) through their normal dealer network. I'm not sure about that.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations on that special guitar! I love the natural mahogany look of the body, also almost looks like Koa!

Yep. The OM-120 that's up now has a printed label where mine is handwritten, but they look the same otherwise.
It's actually clear tape with the number printed that was added to the blank label.

120.JPG

Mine has a label on the inside, opposite the heel . . . the tail block?... it looks like some kind of production tracking number.
Normally the Chinese made Westerly Collection guitars have a serial number on the label on the neck heel. https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showt...ly-Collection-Serial-Number-quot-Decoder-quot
The former Chinese made GAD models had a 10 digit number on the neck heel which also was datecode and production code in one. First two digits production year, second two production month.
https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showt...Decoder-quot&p=1805624&viewfull=1#post1805624

I might have to call Cordoba back and see if these were shipped from overseas or if they did them there in Oxnard . . . a US built OM-120 would be a bit of a unicorn.
Now that's an interesting thought due to the "Designed in California" label. Design on a PC or design in real wood? Good question! Looking forward to what CMG will answer!

Ralf

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tails, I seriously doubt that this guitar was made in Oxnard. The neck with no TRC would've required quite an effort to produce, compared to the tooling that they use for US-built stuff. ANyway, keep us posted.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
To have your own Reverb shop, you need to dedicate an employee (or part of an employee's time) to managing the shop. If you go through another agent like Acoustic Sales, they get the sale, send you part of the money, you slap a label on a box and out it goes. Yes, you're losing a percentage of the sale, but maybe the sales volume isn't high enough to justify having their own b-stock/used-stock/prototype sales unit.

Yeah, it's actually probably more profitable for 'em that way, or at the very least, keeps losses to a minimum.
Most factories DON'T want to deal in retail volumes, the overhead is surprisingly large and completely different from the wholesale production model.
It's why they sign on dealers.
Now that's an interesting thought due to the "Designed in California" label. Design on a PC or design in real wood? Good question! Looking forward to what CMG will answer!
Ralf
You probably remember this but for new members ALL the Westerly Collection models say that on the label, since day one "IIRC".
It was an element of some heated discussion about Country-of-Origin labeling when first noticed.
But I was wondering about that (US-built prototype for an MIC model?) myself, until Chaz reminded us of this little detail:
Tails, I seriously doubt that this guitar was made in Oxnard. The neck with no TRC would've required quite an effort to produce, compared to the tooling that they use for US-built stuff.
I agree, especially if one of the reasons to build prototypes is to gauge production feasibility.

Last edited:

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
Congratulations on that special guitar! I love the natural mahogany look of the body, also almost looks like Koa!

Thanks! Yes, I love the grain and the colors on this one as well as the one that's followed it.

It's actually clear tape with the number printed that was added to the blank label.

120.JPG

That's what I said, just not in quite as precise terms. :highly_amused: So yes, you are technically correct, which I think everyone agrees is the best kind of correct. :very_drunk:

Normally the Chinese made Westerly Collection guitars have a serial number on the label on the neck heel. https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showt...ly-Collection-Serial-Number-quot-Decoder-quot
The former Chinese made GAD models had a 10 digit number on the neck heel which also was datecode and production code in one. First two digits production year, second two production month.
https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showt...Decoder-quot&p=1805624&viewfull=1#post1805624

Great info! I'll have to run it through the algorithm and see what comes out.

Ralf

Like I said and chazmo reiterated, probably not, but asking them won't hurt. I just need to find the intersection of Opportunity and Desire so I can make that phone call. :fat:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Like I said and chazmo reiterated, probably not, but asking them won't hurt.
Many years ago I realized "Ya can't possibly get the answer you want if you don't ask the question" and even used to say it to customers who apologized for being so inquisitive.
Sometimes it led to a sale.
:tranquillity:

I just need to find the intersection of Opportunity and Desire so I can make that phone call. :fat:
It's about a quarter mile down the road from the Boulevard of Broken Dreams.
But the phone booth's been gone for a while.
:emmersed:

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
lol @adorshki, good stuff.

So just some follow-up on the instrument itself, I'm really digging it. Since I got it, at least until tonight, it's been the only member of the stable I've taken out of the barn. I think this is my "do everything" six-string that I've been looking for -- it's easier to play and sounds better than my GS Mini, and it's easier to play and has 90% of the sound of the D-125 . . . the dreadnought has a big, beautiful bass that just rings for days, and the OM-120 does lack that . . . and the D-125-12 is a whole other animal. It kind of stands by itself.

The difference between a 1 3/4" neck and 1 11/16" doesn't sound like much, but I'm finding that for me, a wider neck is just easier to play. As a beginner every bit of help . . . helps . . . and I'll take all the help I can get! She needs some softer strings still, but she feels like the right path.