Dating a DeArmond Guitar

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any info to share??? I have a pretty nice X-155 Blonde De Armond for sale out on Reverb. I had a question asking the year of build. I really can't fine much on that in my Google searches. The SN is KC9072739.

Any help appreciated.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There are earlier discussions here about the DeArmond serial number decoding scheme, but I cannot quickly locate them.

This is from Guitarsite: the first number after the "KC" tells the year. An "8" would be 1998, and a "9" would be 1999. Starting with 2000, they added another digit. So, KC00=2000, KC01=2001...etc.

I believe the next digit (07 in your case) is the month. I don't know if it then goes to day of the month or serial number for the month.

So you can at least say it was July of '99.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Richard, you can't get a date with a real Guild? :eek:nthego:

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
C'mon, Walrus, these are Guilds every bit as much as the Newark St. ones. Mine says "Guild" right on it, in a couple places. Just sayin'...

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I will say that some (not all) of these DeArmonds are actually pretty nice guitars. I just sold the M 70 and I have one more to sell and they will all be gone. If you're careful what you buy, both the DeArmonds and Madeiras have some pretty nice offerings and the prices are pretty low for some pretty nice sound.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
C'mon, Walrus, these are Guilds every bit as much as the Newark St. ones. Mine says "Guild" right on it, in a couple places. Just sayin'...

Dread, see the thread title and see my post. Just joking around!

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I got the joke, I just couldn't resist poking the bear...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I got the joke, I just couldn't resist poking the bear...

So this guy acquired a new shotgun and decided he'd go hunting bear.
He gets out in the woods and sets up a blind next to a clearing and sure enough after a few minutes a big grizzly bear comes snuffling around.
He lets loose a cartridge of 00 buckshot only to watch the pellet bounce off the critter, who looks around, spots him, and gallops over and grabs the gun, breaking it over his knee.
"Listen fella," says the bear, "I don't know what the hell you were thinking trying to take out a grizzly with this puny little piece of doody. So I'm gonna give you a break and let you go with a warning this time, but if I catch you out here again you'll be lucky to survive. Now get outta here."
Well our intrepid nimrod wasn't about to let his pride be crushed like that so he acquires a .50 caliber Ma Deuce with a couple of full belts and goes back to the blind and sets up and waits for the bear.
After an hour or so the bear comes through again.
Our hunter unloads most of a full belt of ammo at him but once again the rounds just bounce harmlessly off the bear's grizzled (and thick) fur.
As the smoke's clearing the bear makes his way over to the hunter and picks him up by the collar and says:
"You again?", kicking the machine across the clearing after breaking its barrel under claw, "I guess you didn't learn your lesson the first time so now me and the brothers are gonna have to teach you a lesson."
Putting claw to lips the bear whistles out a shrill tweet and yells "Hey fellas, gather round, fresh meat!"
Putting the hunter back down on the ground he says "OK fella, turn around and drop yer britches and pray for deliverance"
SO.....3 months later after getting out of the hospital our hunter is consumed with a burning desire for revenge.
He manages to buy a Light Anti-Tank Weapon on the internet and returns to the blind in the woods.
Sure enough after a while along comes the bear harvesting the berry crop.
The hunter takes aim and fires a wire guided High Explosive round at the bear.
"FTOOM!!!"; then clouds of smoke and clods of dirt falling to the ground; but no bear.
Until he feels a tap on his shoulder and turns around to face the bear, who gives him a quizzical look and says:
"Say fella, you don't just come here to hunt, do you?"