Bridge Pins, was End-pins for 1980 F50R

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Hi ya'll,
I need to get a set of end pins for my '80 F50R as they are misshapen (a few look like troll's teeth!) and do not sit squarely in the bridge hole. Can anyone tell me if the size is 2mm with a 3mm taper? Does Tusq make a good replacement set or is there another alternative? Thanks for your help!
Tony
'80 F50R
'84 D40
'87 D50
'96 D4
'98 D30AB
'98 D25 12
'00 Taylor 414ce (black-sheep of the family)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi ya'll,
I need to get a set of end pins for my '80 F50R as they are misshapen (a few look like troll's teeth!) and do not sit squarely in the bridge hole. Can anyone tell me if the size is 2mm with a 3mm taper? Does Tusq make a good replacement set or is there another alternative? Thanks for your help!
Tony
'80 F50R
'84 D40
'87 D50
'96 D4
'98 D30AB
'98 D25 12
'00 Taylor 414ce (black-sheep of the family)

Tarheel you may want to ask a mod to change the title to "Bridge pins for 1980 F50R"...no telling if somebody with the info might skip over the post thinking it really is about end pins.
:friendly_wink:

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Thanks Adorshski. Not sure I understand the difference but yes, I need a new set of the pins that hold the strings into the bridge. Thanks!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks Adorshski. Not sure I understand the difference but yes, I need a new set of the pins that hold the strings into the bridge. Thanks!

End pins aren't slotted and are the ones that go into the end block, also called "strap pins".
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Not sure if my bridge pins have the slot going up through the shank or not. I'll have to yank one out and have look. Thanks!

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
Not sure if my bridge pins have the slot going up through the shank or not. I'll have to yank one out and have look. Thanks!

It's okay to get them with the slot through the collar -- if you need the slot you need it, and if you don't need it, there's no harm in having it. Conversely, if you need the slot through the collar and you don't have it, you'll be sad.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
LYiUMjOh.jpg

Ebony pins with large abalone dots on my F-412 ... purchase ebay

mqaCGSdl.jpg

If your pins sit OK with no strings but are sitting high with strings on , usually on the thicker wound strings, extending the slot above the collar ( like the pin on left) allows a little more room for the string binding and the pin will sit home.

PS22XPEl.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, bridge pins come in sizes and it's not "one size fits all". So make sure you order the right size or even if you can send one that fits to make sure they send you the correct size is a good idea.

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys! I took a look at the 1 string's pin today and it is mangled! It's got a gouge mark on each side of the shank under the head?! I measured the width the best I could in mm and I'm gonna go with the Tusq Presentation pins like the ones suggested in the link above. Thanks again for all the suggestions.