Guild 12 with Rickenbacker stringing?

Tiki295

Reaction score
Has anybody modified their Guild acoustic 12 to accept the Rickenbacker style string pairing?

**Most 12 strings have (as you’re looking down at it) the octave string first, and then the low string. Rickenbacker does the opposite, and gives a different emphasis. Yes, it would require a new nut.

Tom O

Reaction score
Guild Total
My DD12MCE came with the Rickenbacker pairing. You could try the superglue and baking soda fix per Stewmac for thinner octave strings to see if you like the swap. I may try it on my GAD G212,

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I wanted to try that on my F512 - I could make a 1/8 thick shim, that I would place in front of the nut - the shim would have grooves to keep spacing correct and guide strings over nut without touching it. Then I would use the capo on 2nd fret to play and get the feel of it. Doing it this way - only things to loose would be a set of strings - and with enough wraps around the pegs not even that. Consuming time is not waste, while it is a learning process.

Just a thought . . .

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My DD12MCE came with the Rickenbacker pairing.

I believe the DD 12 strings only reverse the low E and A octave strings, while Rickenbacker reverses the EAD & G octave strings.

Tom O

Reaction score
Guild Total
awagner is correct. the D and G strings are not reversed on a DD12

wileypickett

Reaction score
I switched octave strings on one of my 12-strings years ago. Interesting experiment, but eventually I switched back. To my ears you lose a little something of whatever it is that makes a 12-string sound like a 12-string with the octaves reversed.

Wasn’t for me anyway.

Reaction score
Guild Total
When I got my '71 F-412 in the late '90's it had "Rickenbacker Stringing". I already owned a mid-90's Rick 360-12V64, and honestly, I didn't notice it was struck backwards for a month or two - and I had restrung it at least once. I guess I was used the Rick style, and it never occurred to me it was backwards. So on the next re-stringing session I swapped it around to normal. The nut had been modified a bit for the backward stringing, but I was broke and couldn't afford to have it changed. It is still that way. The only issue is a bit of a buzz on G-string. Being I detune a half step and a capo lives on the first fret all the time, it doesn't matter.