Starfire IV - Convert Harp to Bigsby?

Rickenmaxer

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been jonesing for a Starfire semi-hollowbody and have been zeroing in on various eras of Starfire IVs. Wondering how easy it would be to swap out a harp tailpiece for a Bigsby or Guildsby. I'm guessing after-market availability leans more to the likelihood of it being a Bigsby. (B7 most likely?) Any new holes or plugging required? I know, for instance, it's a direct, easily reversible swap on a Rickenbacker 360 to go from the R-tailpiece to their Accent vibrato.

Or would transitioning from a stopbar tailpiece be just as likely? Perhaps the Vibramate plate for a Gibson stopbar conversion would align just as well. I haven't been close enough to one in the wild to take measurements. Any thoughts or experiences? TIA!

dbirchett

Reaction score
Why not a Starfire V? They are out there, not in the quantities of the IV but they can be found.

DSC_0079.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree with getting a V.

As for the OP’s question, what era Starfire?

matsickma

Reaction score
In the 70's the SF4's iften came with the features if a SF5. They had the thicker body's, block fret markers, master volume and occasionally a Guildsby.
So by any other name they were a SF5.

Rickenmaxer

Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree with getting a V.
As for the OP’s question, what era Starfire?

Primarily focusing on the 90's Westerlys for affordability. A quick survey at Reverb shows a number of stopbar and harp Starfire IVs going in the 12-1500 range, with Vs starting in the low $2ks.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Primarily focusing on the 90's Westerlys for affordability. A quick survey at Reverb shows a number of stopbar and harp Starfire IVs going in the 12-1500 range, with Vs starting in the low $2ks.

If affordability is the goal, why not Newark St.?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've been jonesing for a Starfire semi-hollowbody and have been zeroing in on various eras of Starfire IVs. Wondering how easy it would be to swap out a harp tailpiece for a Bigsby or Guildsby. I'm guessing after-market availability leans more to the likelihood of it being a Bigsby. (B7 most likely?) Any new holes or plugging required? I know, for instance, it's a direct, easily reversible swap on a Rickenbacker 360 to go from the R-tailpiece to their Accent vibrato.

You'd need to drill holes for the Bigsby but don't let that stop you. Let a luthier/tech do it if you'd rather not wield the drill yourself.

You could also hold out for an SF-V at a price more to your liking…depends on how urgent you are about getting the guitar. ;-)

-Dave-

DThomasC

Reaction score
I'm with Dave. If you find a SF4 with a harp tailpiece that you like, then I don't think that adding a couple of holes near the tail pin for a Bigsby qualifies as molestation.

If the workmanship is good, it'll look fine, and the Bigsby will likely stay installed for the life of the instrument. Some guitars are archeological artifacts, but most are tools made to be played. Treat your tools with respect, but once they stop being useful as tools they stop being useful at all.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Personally, I agree with my fellow LTGers above, and I wouldn't hesitate to drill and mount a Bigsby.

Or would transitioning from a stopbar tailpiece be just as likely? Perhaps the Vibramate plate for a Gibson stopbar conversion would align just as well. I haven't been close enough to one in the wild to take measurements. Any thoughts or experiences? TIA!
However, although I don't have direct experience with this, the Vibramate VS-335 might work in this situation with an aftermarket NS Starfire V Guildsby, in order to preserve originality. Sorry I couldn't help out further with this.

There are two variations for this VM, and I think it's worth investigating.