The one that got away - Starfire IV

Hobbesickles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Around 7 years ago I was a broke college student but had my first nice electric guitar, a 2002 Guild Bluesbird, that I found on Craigslist for $500 (great deal, right?) and I happen to still own that beast. Serial number CM000185. I was back home for the holidays in Texas and walked into a pawn shop just to see what they had. Hanging on the wall amid the cheap Squiers and Epiphones was a very nice, but somewhat neglected Guild Starfire IV. It had a beautiful flame maple body in natural (or amber?). I asked to see it knowing I could not afford it. To my surprise the serial number was CM000183. I was shocked it was two numbers away from mine but there was no way I could come up with the $1,333 asking price at the time. I am curious if anyone here happens to own that guitar? It would've been hanging on the wall at a pawn shop in Lewisville, TX for several months; I know this because I went back to see if it was still available and if they would haggle down the price (they would not).

I remember the guitar needing TLC. The fretboard was super dry and needed oiling, and the whole thing needed a deep clean and a set up to make it right. There was no other damage to the guitar. If the owner is lurking here please send me a message or reply here (with pics of course)!

Thanks,
Hobbesickles

Obligatory pics of my '74 Starfire VI to keep this relevant to this forum.

P3mHRD3.jpg
b9R8ckt.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Around 7 years ago I was a broke college student but had my first nice electric guitar, a 2002 Guild Bluesbird, that I found on Craigslist for $500 (great deal, right?) and I happen to still own that beast. Serial number CM000185. I was back home for the holidays in Texas and walked into a pawn shop just to see what they had. Hanging on the wall amid the cheap Squiers and Epiphones was a very nice, but somewhat neglected Guild Starfire IV. It had a beautiful flame maple body in natural (or amber?). I asked to see it knowing I could not afford it. To my surprise the serial number was CM000183. I was shocked it was two numbers away from mine but there was no way I could come up with the $1,333 asking price at the time. I am curious if anyone here happens to own that guitar?

Hello Hobbesickles,

While serial number stamping mistakes were made there is possibility that what you saw on the Starfire IV was not #CM000183, but #CW000183, which would have been a correct serial number for that particular model.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl