The "What Were They Thinking?" Thread

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
For years one of my pet peeves has been dysfunctional design, things like LCD displays in cars which are obscured by sunlight, something one could reasonably expect to be find in a car, more or less frequently, or how about the ever-decreasing angle of deflection of windshields in the name of better aerodynamics, which again exacts a toll in visibility due to the windshield now serving as an efficient reflector of the dashboard, right in your field of view...
Was reminded again of the principle in today's "Best Q & A" thread regarding the wisdom of using magnesium in a circular saw since the metal's inflammable.
(Fortunately that one works out ok since magnesium's combustion point is well normal environmental temperature ranges.)
Recently the advertising industry also seems to have discovered dysfunctional design as it applies to their own particular profession and gave us the https://www.adweek.com/creativity/jefferson-airplane-on-a-cruise-ship-lucky-generals-gets-psychedelic-for-celebrity-cruises/]notorious cruise line commercial[/url] which featured nightmarish images rightfully associated with the rock classic "White Rabbit".
I kinda doubt very many potential cruise customers think spending their cruise in a dark cabin enduring a bad acid trip was what they were looking for... What Were They Thinking?!?!?

What really primed me today though, was the new Burger King campaign:

Kv_Moldy_Whopper_resized.jpg

OK, I was a 100% no-preservatives/additives kinda guy in my teens (and am still close to it) and I actually applaud 'em for going 180 degrees against the mainstream current, but still:

"What Were They Thinking?!?!?"
:glee:

Got any faves of your own?

Might even come up with a points scale, like:
Things that are guaranteed to break when used as directed: 25 pts.
Things that further one design goal at the expense of another: 50 pts.
Things that further a design goal at the expense of a safety issue: 75 pts.
Antithetical Advertising: 100 pts.
Anticipatable but Nonetheless Overlooked Consequences: 250pts
Dysfunctional Civil Engineering: 500 pts.

Claim 'em as you post.
:smile:

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just a comment on your post, Al, I agree the Burger King ad is astonishingly bad. I award you 100 points for yourself.

But the "White Rabbit" cruise line commercial suddenly seems more appropriate with the Coronavirus stranding people quarantined on cruise ships!

walrus

- - - Updated - - -

1_Vintage_Ad.jpg

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just a comment on your post, Al, I agree the Burger King ad is astonishingly bad. I award you 100 points for yourself.
Appreciate it but I think I'll have just as much fun sitting on the sidelines on this one.
(New posters feel free to just claim your points according to which category you're in.)
New categories welcomed.
In fact just added new one for 250 pts myself.
But the "White Rabbit" cruise line commercial suddenly seems more appropriate with the Coronavirus stranding people quarantined on cruise ships!
Hah! Good one!

- - - Updated - - -
1_Vintage_Ad.jpg
walrus
Hah! Also a good one along with the sex-role stereotypes so un-self-consciously pandered to..
100 pts.

beecee

Reaction score
I've been home on the couch the past two days. I honestly thought I dreamed that BK commercial.