D-25 In GC

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks F312, it's got character for sure.
Thanks Tom! Never thought of it that way but now that you mentioned it,
guess it does look at least vaguely edible :highly_amused:
I'll admit to wondering if I need a Nudie Cohn suit to
do justice appearing with it :devilish:

b276b74614971b7a622dd6f5a7d3d1a6.jpg

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Regardless of specific model and materials, D25's are arguably the best value dreadnaught ever made. That's my story, and I'm stickin' with it.

P.S. I still really want a nice red D-15.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HEY AL!! Maybe with your amazing search skills you could find that one post where we posted so many photos of the different colored D25's? Of course, some of them were from Westerly as well, but that was a fun post. I fear that it may have fallen victim to the Photobucket fiasco (shakes fist angrily at them!!) from back in the day, but it sure was fun looking at all the pretty colors on offer over the years!!
Yeah last time I looked it up it was riddled with dead links and not all of 'em P---uckit's fault, but the really good ones were gone.
On the other hand one of the most memorable love-it-or-hate-it Corona finishes is still up for sale as genuine NOS in Europe for a paltry 1950 euros:
https://www.station-musicshop.de/Guild-D25-Sea-Foam-Green-Dreadnought/en
'Bout the only decent size pic I can post of one right now is here, in this group shot of the Corona colors:
guild-d25-14599.jpg

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yeah last time I looked it up it was riddled with dead links and not all of 'em P---uckit's fault, but the really good ones were gone.
On the other hand one of the most memorable love-it-or-hate-it Corona finishes is still up for sale as genuine NOS in Europe for a paltry 1950 euros:
https://www.station-musicshop.de/Guild-D25-Sea-Foam-Green-Dreadnought/en
'Bout the only decent size pic I can post of one right now is here, in this group shot of the Corona colors:
guild-d25-14599.jpg

I know I'm being "davismanLV-ish", or even "Tom-ish", but I love the color of both blue ones!

walrus

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Love all the colors too. Tried to get two different dark blue ones in the last couple of
years, both CL listings - failed. Someday...

That D15 on Reverb looks promising - nice saddle height, always a good sign.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very classy in white tone.

Ralph
As Ralph says the white one (I forget what they called that color) is a classy bit of guitar history and the Cherry one is one of the transparent or "wood grain" colors that colored the wood but allowed the mahogany to show through!! The dramatic color and the contrasting binding is absolutely stunning!! Thanks for sharing those, B!! Wow!! :encouragement::applouse:

They also did one of the cream colored ones in Westerly, too, if I'm not mistaken. Which I may be. Our very own Darryl Hattenhauer had one in that color or similar, but from Westerly, R.I. Al, can you verify or tell me how wrong I am??

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Love all the colors too. Tried to get two different dark blue ones in the last couple of
years, both CL listings - failed. Someday...

That D15 on Reverb looks promising - nice saddle height, always a good sign.
Ralf, thanks for that.... those were most of the colors I was thinking of. That's dark blue one is just so beautiful and I also think it's woodgrain blue, if I'm not mistaken!! Both the blues are awesome and if being two shades of blue is a bad thing, then..... I guess being Tom-ish is okay with me, isn't it?? And sung by one of his favorite artists of all time, no less!!

Now let's play it on our blue D25 Guilds!! :cool:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
As Ralph says the white one (I forget what they called that color)
"Honey Blonde", and the lighter "blue" one was actually "Seafoam Green"; the one up front is "Crimson Transparent", the one in back next to the "Sapphire Blue Transparent" is "Amber", rarely seen and possibly my favorite.
Finally remembered where the original source is for the info, pg 12 of this PDF thanks to GAD:
https://www.gad.net/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Guild-2003-Catalog.pdf
Guild-2003-Catalog-pg12_1600.jpeg

Also just noticed for the first time that these are actually Acrylic Satin Lacquer!
All these years thought they were still NCL!
(And I've never seen a Brown Sunburst, wouldn't surprise me if they never actually made any)

I've never really been sure if the Woodgrains and the Transparents were identical and just given different names at different times, part of the issue is that I've never seen 'em next to each other on identical top woods which obviously affect their appearance, also, there's the problem of color-shifting in the digital medium as the source image file gets displayed.
Seem to recall Ralph is certain or at least pretty sure that the Woodgrain Red and Blue are the same as the Transparent Red and Blue, and seem to recall he actually saw identical color code for at least one finish that was called different names at different times.
is a classy bit of guitar history and the Cherry one is one of the transparent or "wood grain" colors that colored the wood but allowed the mahogany to show through!! The dramatic color and the contrasting binding is absolutely stunning!! Thanks for sharing those, B!! Wow!! :encouragement::applouse:
Actually they were all transparent or translucent, even the Seafoam although it probably had the most solids making it the least translucent.
They also did one of the cream colored ones in Westerly, too, if I'm not mistaken.
Not that I can recall ever seeing on a D25;

Which I may be. Our very own Darryl Hattenhauer had one in that color or similar, but from Westerly, R.I. Al, can you verify or tell me how wrong I am??

Darryl's was Yellow ( https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?174387-yellow-D25-and-orange-D30-Rare/page2 ) and the photobucket link is dead, but it's the only yellow one I ever heard of, it stuck for that reason ever since I first saw that post.
This is also the only metallic blue we've ever seen on one, although at the time ('82) it was simply labeled "Blue":
eebnkqoh1cx3mnvzxgdu.jpg

edla86manwphftdtrdmg.jpg

hbpahyvzacswpzfzthqt.jpg

Seen 2 of those (different s/n's), both '82's (first one's dated wrong according to s/n charts):
https://reverb.com/item/10459703-guild-d-25-westerly-1981-blue
And while looking at those look what I stumbled across, https://reverb.com/item/15951840-guild-d-55ce-1981-dark-blue-burst
Don't think I've ever seen an actual Blue Burst before (not like that anyway), or a D55ce(!) either!
And to find both on the same guitar?
As ad says I'm sure it must have been a special order, too:
vpg5eblb3hrmfcqvrnqk.jpg

j45nfkbldptdkpq2ljvh.jpg

Here's the D4 "Blueburst" we've seen before:
rbqljlt0dmx2f9c5xf7n.jpg

That one don't move me nearly as much as the D55....

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, OUTSTANDING reference work AL!
The Corona Brown Sunburst D25 does exist - almost scored one down in Memphis TN awhile back but
the deal fell through - that may have been the only one I've ever seen for sale.
The "Crimson Transparent" D25 featured on the catalog page looks somewhat different than
the three red Corona D25's I've owned - here's two of them, center and right.
Probably just the way it was photographed and printed, but the other colors
shown look reasonably accurate.

e0rWrTi.jpg

Last edited: