All the pics I try and post through my iMac are sideways.

gilded

Reaction score
Me and my iMac are stoo-pid. All my computer pics that I have tried loading are sideways. I have read that I should change the size of the pics, but I can't seem to make that happen. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks, 'Mr. Sideways'

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I try to live in a non-Apple world, so you will have wait for an intelligent response from someone else. But I seem to recall there is an answer posted somewhere.

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I use IrfanView, which has been around for years and it's free to download. Not sure if they make a version for a Mac. When I reposted RayK's headstock photo of his Orpheum, I saved it to my computer (non-Mac) then brought it up in IrfanView flipped it the way I wanted it and then saved it. Then I click on the Image tab and go down to Resize/Resample and select that. A box comes up that shows the pixels each direction H x W. As long as the Preserve Aspect Ratio (proportional) box is ticked, you'll get no distortion and you only have to change one of those numbers. The width was 578 pixels by 12xx pixels. I changed the 578 to 600 which automatically changed the height to 1309 (because of the Preserve Aspect Ratio box being checked) and then saved it again. When I posted it from my computer everything was just as I wished.

I just looked and there is currently no IrfanView software for Mac. However, I found a list of the top 12 alternatives for IrfanView to use on a Mac. I have NOT TRIED ANY OF THESE, but there is a short blurb on each one and may give you an idea of where to look. Check out the list: https://irfanview.en.softonic.com/mac/alternatives

What are you using for photo editing now on your Mac, Harry??

p.s. - as far as walrus' statement, you're still gonna have to wait for an intelligent response.....

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you open your pics in the stock program Preview (part of the basic software that comes on any
Mac), you can go to “Tools” and rotate your pic. If you can’t find Preview, look in your Applications folder.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you open your pics in the stock program Preview (part of the basic software that comes on any
Mac), you can go to “Tools” and rotate your pic. If you can’t find Preview, look in your Applications folder.

Sometimes this can make things worse. The root issue is that the iphone (assuming it's an iphone) has tried to "help" by placing an orientation in the EXIF of the file. The browser is also trying to "help" by deciding to rotate the image on your behalf. If you rotate the image, using an apple product it *may* then look right on some stuff and not on others. But not always. Because technology.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Everyone wants control and a footprint in the product. Using IrfanView to edit and save photos on my computer saves them as IrfanView jpg. I don't know if that's just a labeling posturing thing but it's never held me back. But I don't think you blame all evil on Mac or Apple products. Sometimes it's just putting your name out there and sometimes it's control. As the Borg would say.... "COMPLY!!" I'll just shut up now but it's a prevalent tactic.....

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Horribly Unstable Bytes Randomly Infecting Software.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know what's up with the Apple bashing, but it's getting old.

gilded

Reaction score
Original Poster here. Appreciate all the help and will try and figure it out this weekend.

I really would like to show you guys some of my guitars and amps that I've picked up since the Photobucket Problem. I'm having a good time with the '68 F-112 I picked up in September, after having my luthier:

1) reset and refret the neck,

2) plug the large Schaller M6-sized holes in the headstock.

3) then set the guitar up to use Schaller Mini-6 tuners.

As someone who has used the old '60s Guild MIJ tuners, these Mini-6 tuners are way cool. Soon, I'll get lighter pearloid tuner buttons installed on the Mini-6 shafts and get rid of most of what's left of the 12-string tuner neck-dive issue.

Thanks again, everybody.

gilded aka Harry

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Because the answer is vi? :)

<veer>
I had a younger coworker who who had a strong preference for EMACS to the point that she would make dinosaur jokes when she saw me using vi. One day, in a major test of increased responsibility for her, she was sent out to install our software on a brand new machine at a client site. She got the OS installed, got our software loaded off a tape (those were the days) and went to configure our software for the machine. Then she discovered that the factory OS shipped with vi, and did not have EMACS, nor did anyone think to put a copy on the tape. She very professionally called me and asked me to walk her through the configuration file edits using vi. The install was a success, she got the credit, she stopped teasing me, and visa versa, and she added EMACS to the standard install tape and started carrying a vi cheat card in her briefcase.