All the pics I try and post through my iMac are sideways.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
<veer>
I had a younger coworker who who had a strong preference for EMACS to the point that she would make dinosaur jokes when she saw me using vi. One day, in a major test of increased responsibility for her, she was sent out to install our software on a brand new machine at a client site. She got the OS installed, got our software loaded off a tape (those were the days) and went to configure our software for the machine. Then she discovered that the factory OS shipped with vi, and did not have EMACS, nor did anyone think to put a copy on the tape. She very professionally called me and asked me to walk her through the configuration file edits using vi. The install was a success, she got the credit, she stopped teasing me, and visa versa, and she added EMACS to the standard install tape and started carrying a vi cheat card in her briefcase.

As a consultant, I learn to use the tools that I can always count on being there. Hence, I love vi. Knowing vi has allowed me to save the day more times than I can count.

Now if you'd really like to veer, we can discuss spaces vs. tabs. :devilish:

gilded

Reaction score
OP here. I thought about putting the camera on it's side when I take pics, for real.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
OP here. I thought about putting the camera on it's side when I take pics, for real.
Asked GF to try that when making vids a while back.
They displayed sideways here, only fix was to put 'em through a video editor, which wasn't in the cards.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
As a consultant, I learn to use the tools that I can always count on being there. Hence, I love vi. Knowing vi has allowed me to save the day more times than I can count.

Now if you'd really like to veer, we can discuss spaces vs. tabs. :devilish:

Never an issue. There was a mandate from on high that specified how many spaces a tab expanded to. With that people just scripted the conversion to and from their preference. Eventually it was decreed that files in the repository would adhere to a convention (precedent already set by CR vs CRLF) and the check in and check out tools were configured to convert to the repository format on check in and a format derived from the user's OS and preferences on check out.