I might be closer to an NGD for the first time in a long long time...:)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
my wife wants to do more music with the kids as a family...get closer.
i have been talking to her about this '73ish Guild D25 (yes, it's grail 25 too) that is at a local guitar shop here in tucson.
i think i am going to get it if it's still available in next couple weeks.

this would be quite a turn of events for me needless to say :)

will keep you posted.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
WW, that is a great idea for spending time with your family! Go get it NOW before it's gone!

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
WW, that is a great idea for spending time with your family! Go get it NOW before it's gone!

walrus

waiting for pay day :) no one seems to want it however, been up on their wall for months.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I forget how old your kids are, Woody. And hand and finger sizes account for something here. Did you consider a smaller sized guitar or something with a short scale? Just curious. If they're big kids then, no need to worry. For a smaller hand I'd consider a smaller or 3/4 size guitar. If it's hard for them to play, they may lose interest. Dreads are BIG!!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do it Wood. We all want you to!!!!!

i know bro, it been a while. not that i am complaining, but literally, the D25 on the wall and i seen it for months and played it once, it is an all hog D25. my grail, however silly that may be to some.

we will see :)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I forget how old your kids are, Woody. And hand and finger sizes account for something here. Did you consider a smaller sized guitar or something with a short scale? Just curious. If they're big kids then, no need to worry. For a smaller hand I'd consider a smaller or 3/4 size guitar. If it's hard for them to play, they may lose interest. Dreads are BIG!!

totally tomas, all good points you make!
this 2nd guild would be for my wife and eventually one of the kids. they will all eventually be able to handle dreads...:)

yes, i do look at OM sized guilds but the dreads are always more affordable. and offer more volume.

good call though...and i need to keep an eye out...thanks bud!

beecee

Reaction score
Wood,

What's the diff between the 73 and your BR?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder if they'll sound very much alike, Woody. I really look forward to hearing your opinions. Of course, the vast majority of D-25s are archies with spruce tops. That's the iconic guitar that I would guess was Guild's widest-selling guitar (of all time).

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wonder if they'll sound very much alike, Woody. I really look forward to hearing your opinions. Of course, the vast majority of D-25s are archies with spruce tops. That's the iconic guitar that I would guess was Guild's widest-selling guitar (of all time).

I will give it a test run again soon. I do not remember how it sounded when I played it. I know the neck felt wider or "thicker" from my Br. But I remember Guild being rather non-committed to consistency in its dreads over the decades. Even one year difference could bring a totally different neck feel...it was certainly heavier than the Br, that I remember too.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
the serial number places it as produced in 1974. so that fits in with my grail D25 contention. all hog, archie...

serial is 105041

of course, Hans is really the only one to know for sure :)

geoguy

Reaction score
I have an arch-back D-25M with a similar s/n (a few hundred less than the one you are considering). It is amber colored and *looks* like a mahogany top . . . but it is spruce.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have an arch-back D-25M with a similar s/n (a few hundred less than the one you are considering). It is amber colored and *looks* like a mahogany top . . . but it is spruce.

yeah, this one is hog topped. you can tell by the wood grain for sure. dead ringer for my Br, just arched :)

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Having owned numerous D25s... my early 70's all-hog flat back has a quieter and
noticeably different - I guess "drier" - tone than both of the same-era all-hog archbacks.
As far as volume and overtones, IMO all three are just blown away by
a '76 and an '80 (spruce tops / arched hog back).
The early 2000s era Corona flat-back all-hog D25s (have owned 5) are
worth a look and a listen - IMO more enjoyable to play than the early 70s flat-back,
all noticeably louder & brighter - very slick
feeling, fast necks and generally a slightly wider nut that works well with the flat-picking stuff I do.
But I don't think I've ever found a D25 I didn't like :smile-new:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Why would you want two guitars so similar? Maybe a different wood or shape or something ..... look if you just want the guitar, say so!! You don't have to justify anything with "family" or "what about the children" or anything..... just buy the damn guitar. Especially if it's a nice one!! I'm more used to someone just saying "YOU SHOULD BUY THAT!!" and I'M the one that has to be the voice of reason.

So did you buy it yet or what.....

Plus I also..... just need to shut up.

Did you buy it yet?

I'm waiting.....

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Why would you want two guitars so similar? Maybe a different wood or shape or something ..... look if you just want the guitar, say so!! You don't have to justify anything with "family" or "what about the children" or anything..... just buy the damn guitar. Especially if it's a nice one!! I'm more used to someone just saying "YOU SHOULD BUY THAT!!" and I'M the one that has to be the voice of reason.

So did you buy it yet or what.....

Plus I also..... just need to shut up.

Did you buy it yet?

I'm waiting.....

I did not bud. Appreciate your passion about it however.

Plan on getting it next Thursday to be exact, assuming it is still available.

The Why? I have always wanted an arched back all hog D25. I have this "probably" deluded suspicion that it will be as cool as mine but louder. Some how, that makes all the difference to me...

I know Mav said that I already have the grail D25, but I still think the arched version is the grail...we will see soon :)

While I know smaller body acoustics have their advantages, I just always been a dread man. As Clint Eastwood said it best, "A man's got to know his limitations."

:)

If there is one guild acoustic dread I would want, it is the D55, however, that is just not a fiscal reality today for me. So many more things are important to me than Guild guitars. Like my family for one...

That being said, the fact my awesome wife is "mostly" behind me acquiring another Guild dread, well, you can imagine how stoked I am. Regardless of how foolish I present myself to be.

Last edited: