I might be closer to an NGD for the first time in a long long time...:)

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Why would you want two guitars so similar? Maybe a different wood or shape or something ..... look if you just want the guitar, say so!! You don't have to justify anything with "family" or "what about the children" or anything..... just buy the damn guitar. Especially if it's a nice one!! I'm more used to someone just saying "YOU SHOULD BUY THAT!!" and I'M the one that has to be the voice of reason.

So did you buy it yet or what.....

Plus I also..... just need to shut up.

Did you buy it yet?

I'm waiting.....

Geez Tom. You need to take a chill pill or something.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm excited to hear about this WW. I took the same tack with my boys when they were little. I started out by strumming an acoustic sitting around with them and teaching them to sing folk tunes from the great American song book, i.e., Turkey in the Straw, On Top of Old Smokey, Froggy Went a Courtin', Polly Wolly Doodle, etc. It was sooooo much fun. I really just wanted them to get accustomed to being immersed in music of all kinds and to not be afraid to sing out loud to grabbing any instrument and giving it a shot.

We also let them dabble in all kinds music lessons but never forced them. I didn't want to be that parent. If they needed a break, that was okay. What I feel is most helpful was to surround them with beater but playable instruments they can mess with at any time. I bought rough starter drum kit close their size, a cheapie keyboard and amp, and a beater bass and guitar. They picked them up all them time. One thing I didn't do was give them was full access to my record collection and my fancy turntable. In hindsight, maybe I should have. Most kids access music via youtube nowadays, though.

I would say we were pretty successful. My youngest is completely consumed by music and has become quite the accomplished piano player and drummer. The other also plays drums, guitar, and bass but not as actively. I think appreciation for music is one of the greatest gifts I can give my kids, and they both have that in droves.

As far as getting another D-25 is concerned, I think the Guild pair can be Mom and Pops special instruments they can learn to respect and play carefully.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress with this, and I hope you grab the arch back. :C)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm excited to hear about this WW. I took the same tack with my boys when they were little. I started out by strumming an acoustic sitting around with them and teaching them to sing folk tunes from the great American song book, i.e., Turkey in the Straw, On Top of Old Smokey, Froggy Went a Courtin', Polly Wolly Doodle, etc. It was sooooo much fun. I really just wanted them to get accustomed to being immersed in music of all kinds and to not be afraid to sing out loud to grabbing any instrument and giving it a shot.

We also let them dabble in all kinds music lessons but never forced them. I didn't want to be that parent. If they needed a break, that was okay. What I feel is most helpful was to surround them with beater but playable instruments they can mess with at any time. I bought rough starter drum kit close their size, a cheapie keyboard and amp, and a beater bass and guitar. They picked them up all them time. One thing I didn't do was give them was full access to my record collection and my fancy turntable. In hindsight, maybe I should have. Most kids access music via youtube nowadays, though.

I would say we were pretty successful. My youngest is completely consumed by music and has become quite the accomplished piano player and drummer. The other also plays drums, guitar, and bass but not as actively. I think appreciation for music is one of the greatest gifts I can give my kids, and they both have that in droves.

As far as getting another D-25 is concerned, I think the Guild pair can be Mom and Pops special instruments they can learn to respect and play carefully.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress with this, and I hope you grab the arch back. :C)

yes! thanks JP and good encouraging story here too...

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Good luck whatever you decide WW!

As far as having several of the same model - while I haven't and
most likely won't break out the oscilloscopes, no two are alike,
all have at least somewhat different and often radically
different personalities, inspiring serendipitous noodling journeys :02.47-tranquillity:

Seems like the several D55s / F50s I had were more consistent in tone
than the various D25s.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good luck whatever you decide WW!

As far as having several of the same model - while I haven't and
most likely won't break out the oscilloscopes, no two are alike,
all have at least somewhat different and often radically
different personalities, inspiring serendipitous noodling journeys :02.47-tranquillity:

Seems like the several D55s / F50s I had were more consistent in tone
than the various D25s.

agreed bonneville. and i think Westerly's approach to the D25 in general changed from decade to decade, maybe even year to year.

Dano

Reaction score
Best to you on your purchase decision. I really like my old late-70's D25M (spruce top); I've owned it since I bought it new in the spring of '79. I've never regretted the time I spend with my kids and music, and am now doing the same with my grandson when I get the chance. Looking back, I should have spent more time that way.

Guitar purchases and make/models aside, your music on Soundcloud (in your signature) is really good stuff. It sounds like the stuff I noodle on when I'm clearing the "tech" from my daily work/pursuits from my brain! It also sounds like you might be into alt-tunings and dropped tuning stuff. That's another good reason for a second guitar...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Best to you on your purchase decision. I really like my old late-70's D25M (spruce top); I've owned it since I bought it new in the spring of '79. I've never regretted the time I spend with my kids and music, and am now doing the same with my grandson when I get the chance. Looking back, I should have spent more time that way.

Guitar purchases and make/models aside, your music on Soundcloud (in your signature) is really good stuff. It sounds like the stuff I noodle on when I'm clearing the "tech" from my daily work/pursuits from my brain! It also sounds like you might be into alt-tunings and dropped tuning stuff. That's another good reason for a second guitar...

thanks jazzman for listening! I think a 2nd D25 would indeed help the effort :).

Also, quick update: It is NOT all hog. It has spruce top. Either they sold the all hog arched or I was moving too fast that day I played it and the stain threw me. I noticed immediately the top grain was spruce. Still, it sounded solid. Might get Thursday, not sure, as there were a few other acoustics at the shop I was intrigued by...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:) :) Sorry the all-mahogany one went away, Woody. Maybe you should just wait. But, again, arched, lam. mahogany and spruce top is truly the iconic D-25. Whatever you decide, best of luck!!!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
:) :) Sorry the all-mahogany one went away, Woody. Maybe you should just wait. But, again, arched, lam. mahogany and spruce top is truly the iconic D-25. Whatever you decide, best of luck!!!

thanks Chaz! I might just get it anyway as it is at a good price point and will be nice to have a 2nd Guild dread lying around in the house :)