Reaction score
Guild Total

Review: https://www.gad.net/Blog/2020/02/16/1983-guild-x175/

Guild-1983-X175-TopFull.jpg

Last edited:

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Always a fun read when you review a guitar. Thanks for doing it. It really is a beautiful guitar, I wouldn’t want to sell it either.

X-170AB

Reaction score
Thanks much for the good write-up, GAD!

BTW, Hans is correct about the bridge. The "notch" should be under the B (2nd) string, not the A (5th) string.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As usual, entertaining and informative! Thanks!

walrus

gilded

Reaction score
Gary, appreciated your review. Got a question. Do you think that you like the X-175 guitar better than some of the X500s you've had because of the sound block or in spite of the sound block?

Thanks, Harry H

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gary, appreciated your review. Got a question. Do you think that you like the X-175 guitar better than some of the X500s you've had because of the sound block or in spite of the sound block?

Thanks, Harry H
I have a sound post/block on my X-500. So, not unique.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Just to note: Taj Mahal is primarily a blues player but with world music influences. Imagine an American version of Ali Farka Touré…or a more eclectic version of Ry Cooder if you're not familiar with Touré.

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just to note: Taj Mahal is primarily a blues player but with world music influences. Imagine an American version of Ali Farka Touré…or a more eclectic version of Ry Cooder if you're not familiar with Touré.

-Dave-
My first Taj Mahal:

Was on the local underground FM station a short time, I must-a been a high school freshman.
Funny how important 1st impressions are because ever since then I have a hard time thinking of him as an electric player!
I could see that in '69 that style and even the album title Giant Step/De Ole Folks at Home might have been controversial on both sides of the color barrier, might have held back airplay in a lot of markets..
And I could swear I've seen a pic of him with his X-175 in Guild lit, a sunburst; it "stuck" because of that same issue that I always think of him as an electric player, but I can't find it now either.
Could have sworn it was a Guild Gallery, even that same one that has a pic of him with his Catalina blue F30.
It might be the 2001 "Fender Frontline" which GAD doesn't have.
Otherwise I'll have to chalk it up to ongoing memory modification.... <end of veer>

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My first Taj Mahal:
Was on the local underground FM station a short time, I must-a been a high school freshman.
Funny how important 1st impressions are because ever since then I have a hard time thinking of him as an electric player!
I could see that in '69 that style and even the album title Giant Step/De Ole Folks at Home might have been controversial on both sides of the color barrier, might have held back airplay in a lot of markets..
And I could swear I've seen a pic of him with his X-175 in Guild lit, a sunburst; it "stuck" because of that same issue that I always think of him as an electric player, but I can't find it now either.
Could have sworn it was a Guild Gallery, even that same one that has a pic of him with his Catalina blue F30.
It might be the 2001 "Fender Frontline" which GAD doesn't have.
Otherwise I'll have to chalk it up to ongoing memory modification.... <end of veer>

Al, I wonder if you are thinking of his "Maestro" album cover, but I don't think that's a Guild.

maestro.jpg

walrus

Reaction score
I think it was the X-170 he played and endorsed for a short while but I could be wrong.
Thanks John

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Warning: Thread Veer!
I’ve seen Taj twice in the past 15 years or so; both times his electric was a blond X-170.
the last time was at a fundraising festival for our local land conservancy. I was volunteer crew and overheard an old friend ask Taj:
”Hey, remember that time me, you and Brian went to Keith’s house and wound up staying 2 weeks?”
unfortunately, I didn’t hear his response....

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maple neck on this era X175 - I don't know when those came in, but the original spec (that Guild went back to when they started calling these X150D's) is three piece mahogany/maple/mahogany with a rosewood board.

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maple neck on this era X175 - I don't know when those came in, but the original spec (that Guild went back to when they started calling these X150D's) is three piece mahogany/maple/mahogany with a rosewood board.

Hans would know for sure, but from my own observations, the change from mahogany to maple neck on the X-175 happened sometime between 1976 and 1977. Then there's the 5-piece maple versus 3-piece maple necks, too. :devilish:

wdboland

Reaction score
Gary great write up, beautiful guitar! BTW, you are absolutely right about the big feel while playing while seated