F-512 update

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It took more months than expected to repair the cosmetic gouges on the top edges - the luthier was moving everything into a larger space - so he didn't even charge me for the repair! The gouges are still slightly visible - the luthier didn't get them to disappear altogether - but they are definitely sealed up and the finish is totally smooth. He also installed a K&K for 12-string for a very reasonable charge.

The setup guy did a good job - cut a new higher saddle. No more bass string buzz!

Man, the tone coming from this guitar is just awesome. AWESOME! More expensive guitars really do have significantly better tone. Or at least this one does. I'm so glad I took a chance on this guitar that was advertised as "for parts or not working." Ha! This baby's working now!

Just a couple quick pics....

fff812.jpg
fff813.jpg

Attachments

• fff814.jpg
    fff814.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 180

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I love the burst. It must sound glorious. When was this one made?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Considering the damage that it came with I think it looks super amazing!! And now you got it set up and sounding like the heavens have opened up, I'd say you won all the way around with this one!!! That burst is just beautiful, HOLY CRAP!! Glad you took a chance on this one. It sure paid off...... :encouragement::encouragement:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow! That came out excellent!

Consider the gouges "mojo"...

walrus

Grassdog

Reaction score
Gouges? I don't see no stinkin' gouges! Who cares anyway, it's how that beautiful sunburst baby sounds that's important.

Congratulations on that one Cougar. Hope your equally beautiful sunburst JF-30 doesn't get jealous.

You sure do a good job photographing those guitars.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...When was this one made?

It's a 2018 out of Oxnard! A selling point for me!

...And now you got it set up and sounding like the heavens have opened up...

It's tough to describe it, but that's pretty close! :encouragement:

Consider the gouges "mojo"...

Yeah, they're there but barely noticeable. I'm kind of grateful for the gouges, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford such a fine guitar!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sweet great out come . Now let's here it ! Lol ��

Coop47

Reaction score
I played my '77 for a few hours yesterday. It keeps surprising me. But I'm still a little jealous of that sunburst finish. That's a stunning guitar.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...Hope your equally beautiful sunburst JF-30 doesn't get jealous...

After playing the F-512 yesterday, I pulled out the JF30-12. That guitar gives up nothing to the F-512! It's like they both came out of the Ark of the Covenant! :tiger:

jib793.jpg

fff808.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The big difference to me is how it feels to play the F-512 vs. the JF-30-12. You feel the rumble with the F-512. I guess in general I have always felt more connected to the F-512. But, anyway, Cougs, congrats!

Tiki295

Reaction score
That looks incredibly cool. Congratulations.

I wish I played more 12 string so I could justify the purchase of an Oxnard F412 or 512.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ that's a chicken and egg paradox, Tiki... If you get a 412 or 512 you will play more 12-string. I can pretty much guarantee it.