How concerned would you be about this fretboard?

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
Curious what the hivemind has to say.

wz61jMp.jpg

HIRk3RU.jpg

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Unless I'm missing something, that looks like nothing more that a well-worn fretboard and frets.

My Yamaha FG-110 (first and only guitar for 30+ years) looks like this:

r3R5evdl.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something, that looks like nothing more that a well-worn fretboard and frets.

My Yamaha FG-110 (first and only guitar for 30+ years) looks like this:

r3R5evdl.jpg

LOL!
Oh I guess I misunderstood the question!
I agree although I notch 'em up that good in a matter of about 300 hours and then start planning on a re-fret, only because I want full-height frets.
(Got spoiled by experiencing all my Guilds from new.)
Lotta people are ok with getting 'em "dressed" though, means they get smoothed down and re-profiled but wind up a bit lower than stock.
Sooner or later y'can't do it anymore, though, and have to get new ones.

Last edited:

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
Yep, it's a 2006 GAD30. The answer I'm hearing so far is "not very." It's in Chicago and I'm an California, so I can't play it before I buy it . . . otherwise I'd just get hands on it. :smile-new:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Depends on the price. Probably needs a re-fret. Fingerboard divots are not a huge issue, but it has obviously been well played.

kostask

Reaction score
On the fingerboard, it may be fingerboard grease, and maybe a cleaning of the fingerboard would clear that up. The frets look like they need to be replaced, so the fingerboard will probably be addressed at that time.

kostask

Reaction score
On the fingerboard, it may be fingerboard grease, and maybe a cleaning of the fingerboard would clear that up. The frets look like they need to be replaced, so the fingerboard will probably be addressed at that time.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think it would probably play pretty well. I don't think the frets are grooved enough to do stuff, but, I could be wrong.

midnightright

Reaction score
You should have seen the holes in the fretboard (which I thought were caused by fingertips/prints, or impressions - but was later corrected that it is almost always nails) & corresponding frets (what was left of them!). if you played three chords, you thought you were going to get carpal tunnel! But it sounded miraculous; almost better than the rest combined... Also appeared to have spent its decade on Earth in smokey, Texas bars. Was told like kostask said that if I got a full fret replacement that the fretboard could be planed.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
THIS WAS MY DV 6 NTHG

I'm confused. Are you saying that the guitar pictured in the first post was yours even though it was identified as a 2006 GAD30?

Or were you adding to your prior comment?

You should have seen the holes in the fretboard (which I thought were caused by fingertips/prints, or impressions - but was later corrected that it is almost always nails) & corresponding frets (what was left of them!). if you played three chords, you thought you were going to get carpal tunnel! But it sounded miraculous; almost better than the rest combined... Also appeared to have spent its decade on Earth in smokey, Texas bars. Was told like kostask said that if I got a full fret replacement that the fretboard could be planed.

:)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'd agree it's just normal wear, although that's quite a bit for an '06, isn't it? Here's my only acoustic for 30+ years, that now belongs to wileypickett. 1984 D64. This guitar was made to be played, and it was played a lot. This photo is only a few years old, the guitar had a refret on the top frets after 22 years:

1984 D64 fretboard wear.jpg

walrus

midnightright

Reaction score
Yes, fronobulax, it was the used guitar referenced in my post. I tried to, "reply with quote" several times, all of which were with fail. My keyboard on my computer does not always work ever since spilling nail polish remover on it when attempting to superglue my broken glasses. So it takes 8 minutes to type what would otherwise take 8 seconds. Next time, I'll try my phone . This is the level of genius you are dealing with here.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Made to be played for sure, walrus.

tailsawaggin, was your question answered? I see nothing to be concerned about in your picture at the top of this thread.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Geez O'petes , you folks need to trim this nails back a bit more ,yikes ! Lol

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
Made to be played for sure, walrus.

tailsawaggin, was your question answered? I see nothing to be concerned about in your picture at the top of this thread.

Yes -- answers ranged from "no worries" to "those frets need replacing."

I followed up with the seller to see if that B3 fret is really worn half through or if that's camera distortion, but the more I think about it the more I think I ought to wait for a more gently used example, so in that sense I did get the answer I needed. Thanks for asking!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Geez O'petes , you folks need to trim this nails back a bit more ,yikes ! Lol

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm not convinced fretboard divots are from fingernails alone. Personally, I do a lot of string bending, too. I have never had my fretting hand nails any longer than the photo below. They can't be any shorter! I played today for about 4 hours...

IMG_20200215_181114567.jpg

walrus

kostask

Reaction score
Your fingernails are too long if that is your fretting hand. Use a nail file if you can't get them any shorter with nail clippers or scissors. If your nails ever hit the fingerboard while playing, your nails are too long. As a general rule, when properly trimmed, there shouldn't be any white nail showing.

Fingerboard divots are caused by fingernails in general, and deep fingerboard grooves are always due to long fingernails. You can get some fingerboard wear from strings, but the wear takes a much longer time to show up, and is more spread out (the fingerboard divots would not be as sharply defined, or as deep).

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Rather than this veer, I started a thread about fretting hand fingers...:uncomfortableness:

walrus