Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice amplification in absence of a sound system

Voice amplification in absence of a sound system

Hi folks, After 18 years hiatus, I've recently began playing music out in public at an open mike, but it's one of those open mikes without...mikes. My D25M projects nicely but not my voice. Folks in the 4th row back miss words. Yeah, voice lessons might help but I lack interest in pursuing this approach. What came to mind instead, was purchasing a used Shure M58 and mike stand, There isn't a sound system at the venue but I'm wondering if there's anyway I might get decent enough sound with a small amp, or would I need to get a PA head and speakers. Ideally, my approach would cost no more than $200. Any ideas? Thank you!

p.s. It's a very small listening room, probably 20'x60'.
    Last edited by crowlibrarian; 02-14-2020 at 07:37 AM. Reason: added information
    Current guitars:
    1976 Guild D25M
    2000 Seagull S6 Folk

past guitars:
    1981 Guild D25M (miss this one
    1976 Guild F55 (miss this one even more)
    early 70s Epiphone Texan (still pining)
    1960s Yamaha acoustic (model?)
    1960s Kay parlor guitar

Shure SM58's are really the best and for the money you can't beat 'em! That's what i use and when I bought an amp I made sure it could handle a guitar AND the mic at the same time. I got a Fender Acoustasonic 40, which can do both. There are others like Fishman and other brands that i think do a little better job, but they cost a bit more. They're not that much and you can do a small venue with my Fender amp and amplify your guitar and voice at the same time. It's better to sing in a style and volume where you're comfortable and where you have control of your voice without straining, so do that. I can belt out a tune really strongly, but that's not my normal and comfortable place, so it's better to sing normally and let the amp do the work. Others will be along soon with more and probably better suggestions.
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016 (The BLUE one)
    Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E 07/12/17
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Plus 1 on Tom's advice.

Tom has good advice. The Fishman Loudbox amps also sound good with a mic.

Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    Shure SM58's are really the best and for the money you can't beat 'em! That's what i use and when I bought an amp I made sure it could handle a guitar AND the mic at the same time. I got a Fender Acoustasonic 40, which can do both. There are others like Fishman and other brands that i think do a little better job, but they cost a bit more. They're not that much and you can do a small venue with my Fender amp and amplify your guitar and voice at the same time. It's better to sing in a style and volume where you're comfortable and where you have control of your voice without straining, so do that. I can belt out a tune really strongly, but that's not my normal and comfortable place, so it's better to sing normally and let the amp do the work. Others will be along soon with more and probably better suggestions.
    Really good advice from Tom here - a small combo amp will work nicely and you just can't beat those SM58's mics for cost and reliability. That rig might put you a little over your budget but hey you'll have a setup that will sound good, is easily transportable, simple and reliable.
    '88 GF-30
    '78 F-212XL
    '83 D-25 SB
    '97 JF-55
    '80 G-37 SB ANT
    '03 F-412
    '59 Gibson SJ
    '64 Gibson Country Western
    '02 Gibson J-100
    '11 Gibson SJ (Woody Guthrie LE)
    '15 Martin HD-28
    Fender Telecaster - '52 Reissue

I know - not helpful, but man is it ever the perfect solution.
    1970s: [ S60D | S70D | S300ADs ]
    1980s: [ X79-3 | X80s | X82 | X100 | X175 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    1980s: [ Detonator | Liberator + Elite | SF4 | AA ]
    1990s: [ S100 | X160 | X170 | X170T | SF3,5 | BB | NB | NB DX ]
    1990s: [ X2000 | X3000 | X4000s | DV72 | BHM1 | JF30-12 | Songbird ]
    2000s: [ SF3 | SF4 | B-90 | BB-90 | X160R | X500T | D55 ]
    2010s:
    [ Jetstar | R30 | D55 ]

My Reviews: [ GADsGuilds.com ] Guild Documents: [ Catalogs ] [ Price Lists ] [ Ads, Flyers, etc. ]

+1 on the SM-58 and Fishman Loudbox Mini, those are what I use for just such a setting. They'll set you back a little more than $200 though.
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Blog Entries
    This?

import_photos_76.jpg

There are amps designed to handle both an instrument and voice and you have some good suggestions. Remember that with your D-25 you may not want or not need to amplify it even if you mic your voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Hello

Since the budget is so limited - how about an active pa-speaker/floormonitor with mic input - some of them have line input only.
    Put it on the floor about a foot behind and left or right of you .There should be plenty of those in used-equipment circulation.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    This should fit the bill for my needs. Thank you! The Loudbox Mini and other mike options would be wonderful to consider if I had a bit more to spend. Thank you everyone!
    Current guitars:
    1976 Guild D25M
    2000 Seagull S6 Folk

past guitars:
    1981 Guild D25M (miss this one
    1976 Guild F55 (miss this one even more)
    early 70s Epiphone Texan (still pining)
    1960s Yamaha acoustic (model?)
    1960s Kay parlor guitar