Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voice amplification in absence of a sound system

Shure SM-58's are very nice, but you can certainly get by with something cheaper. I have a mid priced Radio Shack mike (around $30), and it sounds almost as good as an M-58. If you are using a combo amp, which should be fine in a small venue, make sure you have a mike with a high impedance jack to plug into the amp.
    Guild '00 Bluesbird
    Gibson ES-175
    Cort Matt Murphy
    Hagstrom 1980's Viking II
    PRS SE-EG
    Guild AO-5CE
    Martin DC-1E
    Conn FG-11
    Harmony 60's classical
    Harmony 40's Vogue archtop

A few months ago, my friend's PA pooped out at a pub gig we were duoing. And it's a pretty noisy pub.

So we shouted. And got plenty of tips. And paid. And invited back.

I'm like you: a soft voice. But shouting is shouting, regardless.

For most small-club acoustic gigs and open mics (or un-mics), amplification is over-done and over-rated.
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 02-16-2020 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    . . . So we shouted. And got plenty of tips. And paid. And invited back. . .
    Probably not a coincidence. The crowd probably appreciated the lower volume so they could have a conversation with the person next to them without having to struggle to hear over a loud PA. For those of us that play out a lot, this is probably good advice to turn it down.
    '88 GF-30
    '78 F-212XL
    '83 D-25 SB
    '97 JF-55
    '80 G-37 SB ANT
    '03 F-412
    '59 Gibson SJ
    '64 Gibson Country Western
    '02 Gibson J-100
    '11 Gibson SJ (Woody Guthrie LE)
    '15 Martin HD-28
    Fender Telecaster - '52 Reissue

I've actually tipped people performing with a suggestion to turn it down!! I hand them the money and say "This is how much it's worth to me and my friends for you to turn it down. You play and sing well, but we didn't come to a concert, we came to catch up on each other's lives. So here's $20 to bring it down for a while. Thanks!!"

It usually works.
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016 (The BLUE one)
    Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E 07/12/17
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Grassdog View Post
    Probably not a coincidence. The crowd probably appreciated the lower volume so they could have a conversation with the person next to them without having to struggle to hear over a loud PA. For those of us that play out a lot, this is probably good advice to turn it down.

So true

In my years of mixing all kinds of bands in myriad different circumstances - hardly ever someone comes to me asking "Turn the volume up."
    More often there is the case, that the band is performing in smallish venue - and no matter how I try to tell them - they play too loud.
    I end up keeping most of the channels muted trying to make vocal and solos audible.
    Makes all the sense bringing 24-channel board and setting up 22 microphones and ending using one mic . . .
    Fortunately most of my clients are not like that - but I've been there - and it is quite embarrassing, when there's nothing one can do and people think it's me who's lunatically cranking volume up.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuska View Post
    people think it's me who's lunatically cranking volume up.
    "It Ain't Me, Babe"-Bob Dylan

Oops, wrong thread....
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!