Opinions on newer Starfire XII 12-strings?

tonepoet

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have been yearning for an electric 12-string and was wondering if any of you have had experience with the newer Starfire 12's of the Fender and Cordoba years. Differences? Preferences? I bought a 1997 Starfire IV six-string with the SD-1 HBs that is of excellent build quality and was wondering if anyone has owned/played the 12-string versions made between 1995 and now. Thanks, tonepoet

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There were no Starfire 12s in that time period in the catalogs. The Newark Street ones are supposed to have a wider neck than the sixties SFs.

DrumBob

Reaction score
I had one a while back and wrote a review for Vintage Guitar magazine. It's a nice guitar, but it wouldn't replace my Rickenbackers.

fuman

Reaction score
A Starfire XII was my first good guitar. It was also my first GREAT guitar. I have played Rick 12's and the nut is too narrow for me; the '67 SF XII was perfect. It was actually fairly easy to play. And the sound was phenomenal.

dbirchett

Reaction score
I had one a while back and wrote a review for Vintage Guitar magazine. It's a nice guitar, but it wouldn't replace my Rickenbackers.

Bob, can we access the review on line? What month's issue was that in?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bob, can we access the review on line? What month's issue was that in?

To jog your memory on the 12...

https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?196865-New-SF-XII-Is-Here&highlight=Starfire+review

You asked the same question there as well and eventually got the answer

Don, it was in the January issue under "VG approved gear" page 114: https://store.vintageguitar.com/january-2019.html
Ralf

I'm sorry, I don't, but another member supplied it. You should subscribe to Vintage Guitar! :applause:

although your link no longer worked for me.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Yup. I thought I had saved a digital copy of the review, which was quite positive, but now can not find it. I do have the issue someplace.

The Starfire IV-12 ST is made by SPG in Korea, who also made my Gretsch Electromatic 12 which is quite nice. Drum Bob indicated that he liked the Guild much better than its cousin, the Gretsch. So in answer to the OP, it should be very nice indeed.