Cost of gold plating

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The cost begins at $100 for small items like rings and small pendants. Items like earrings, large pendants and bracelets are usually between $125 - $225, depending upon the intricacy and condition of the piece.

From a jeweler in California.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would assume that their gold plating would be thicker and more durable than guitar oems.

F312

Reaction score
Over the years I have seen so many different types of gold plating, some I even think is brass.

Ralph

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I would assume that their gold plating would be thicker and more durable than guitar oems.
I suspect it may simply be that jeweler is quoting actual pure gold for their purposes.
Over the years I have seen so many different types of gold plating, some I even think is brass.
Ralph
Right, in fact I heard right here many years ago that what's called "gold" on things like tuning machines isn't actually gold at all (otherwise it wouldn't corrode).
Here's one method employing Copper/zinc alloy (and note "brass" is in fact a copper alloy):
https://patents.google.com/patent/CN104451792A/en
Nickel and cadmium are 2 other common metals used, sometimes in addition to real gold.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Even real 14 karat gold can tarnish or corrode, especially with frequent handling. Given that you want a real thin plating on pickup covers to minimize sonic impact, it's no wonder those covers are so often not-very-gold in color.

-Dave-

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have this TRC, that I had made in 1975 for my F50R - it is brass plate with one side plated w gold and F50R engraved on it. Last year I took it to a local shop and they polished it - both sides - new gold plating at least on backside - maybe even frontside - finally they engraved my name on it. All this for 60€. Third picture shows how it was before - after 42 years on duty.

IMG_3487.jpgIMG_3488.jpgIMG_2877.jpg

Colour on second picture is not as good as it should be - both sides look more like pic #1

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
electroplating uses very little real gold...is very thin...wears easily...the corrosion is on the base metal(s) of the items.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Even real 14 karat gold can tarnish or corrode, especially with frequent handling. -Dave-
Pure gold will not oxidize in normal atmospheric humidities and temps (what I meant by "corrosion" but should have said instead, forgot the term at the time) it could would wear through if too thin especially if "real" and not an alloy, because it's not really all that durable.
Granted pure gold's not too common but 14k isn't as pure as 24K fwiw.
Understandable in jewelry where durability is a concern.
https://www.jewelrynotes.com/difference-between-14k-and-24k-gold/

Last edited:

F312

Reaction score
I have this TRC, that I had made in 1975 for my F50R - it is brass plate with one side plated w gold and F50R engraved on it. Last year I took it to a local shop and they polished it - both sides - new gold plating at least on backside - maybe even frontside - finally they engraved my name on it. All this for 60€. Third picture shows how it was before - after 42 years on duty.

IMG_3487.jpgIMG_3488.jpgIMG_2877.jpg

Colour on second picture is not as good as it should be - both sides look more like pic #1
I like your TRC. It adds just the right touch to your F50R.