Action too low

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey all, remember while it's nice to have a REAL truss rod tool to use (especially a Guild one, that impresses your friends) but if you're moving or can't find the darned thing, most people have one of these somewhere in the kitchen or toolbox somewhere. It usually does the trick just fine. Of course, if it doesn't fit right or you might strip the nut, then DON'T USE IT!! But they're fairly common......

trussrodtool.jpg

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I took another look at the neck. It's just a very slight back bow, but there's also a very slight hump at the 14th fret. So, hell, I took it in. The luthier said pretty much everything that's been said here, so I appreciate all the suggestions and confirming what I was in for. If giving it some relief and taking down the 14th fret slightly doesn't do it, I told him to go ahead and cut a new saddle. He said he's bring it up to spec. And I get it back later this week....

standby.gif

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting about the hump at the 14th fret. A neck reset may have already been done on this axe without a planing of the fretboard. Let us know what the luthier discovers.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Well, I took another look at the neck. It's just a very slight back bow, but there's also a very slight hump at the 14th fret. So, hell, I took it in. The luthier said pretty much everything that's been said here, so I appreciate all the suggestions and confirming what I was in for. If giving it some relief and taking down the 14th fret slightly doesn't do it, I told him to go ahead and cut a new saddle. He said he's bring it up to spec. And I get it back later this week....

standby.gif

Where did you take it? I live in Roy and I go to SLC and have Tom at Local Music do a lot of my work.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Where did you take it? I live in Roy and I go to SLC and have Tom at Local Music do a lot of my work.

Tom was the greatest! Spent many a gab session there. He had so many old instruments in that shop, it was hard to squeeze more than 3 people in there! But unfortunately, as far as I know, he closed up shop and retired or something. I never did hear the story. Let me know if you find out anything.

For the setup I took it nearby to Acoustic Music on 4th South in SLC. For the top gouge repair, I talked to Guild and they said Guitar Czar was the only Guild certified shop, I think in the whole state, so that's where I went. They recently moved down just past 59th South on State.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But unfortunately, as far as I know, he closed up shop and retired or something.

Used to have Tom do all my setups... but when I got up to 10 Guilds, I started doing my own. AFAIK, Tom moved Local Music to the area of 3300 S and State in SLC... a web search came up with 70 W Angelo Ave. But, I haven't been down to the new shop, so cannot confirm.