NGD - eGADs!

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
Time for the new kid at school to do show and tell, so this is Ginger. She's not the subject of today's NGD, but she's kind of the impetus for it, so it wouldn't be fair not to feature her in a glamor shot.

SpMaduM.jpg

Found her in the local Craigslist. Now I'm a new guitarist, been playing about a year, and don't know a lot except that I don't know a lot, but I did get to play a late-70s Guild when I went to buy a case for another guitar. That experience turned me on to the idea that I like Guilds, so when I saw this 12-string pop up, I went to give it a strum. Loved the sound, and so a few days later she was mine.

Fast forward a handful of months, and I'm still plugging away at learning how to play on my GS Mini, and getting the 12er out from time to time. At some point I'm playing a song and I realize that not only does the 12 sound better than the Mini -- it should, so no surprise there -- it's actually easier to fret and play. That doesn't seem normal, but it is what it is, so I decide right then that what I really want is a six that plays and sounds like my 12.

Now it might be obvious to a lot of you here that the thing that should sound and feel most like a D-125-12 is a D-125, and in hindsight, it certainly is. Gotta admit, though, that took me a few days. I may not be thorough, but at least I'm slow.

So, the search begins. At about he same time a cherry '73 D25 comes up on Craigslist, I see this cherry D-125 pop up on Reverb. The old guitar is beautiful, but it is an old guitar, and I'm a new guitarist, and he describes it has having medium strings/medium action, and that sounds a lot to me like the "bluegrass action" dog whistle for "might need some expensive work," and I'm getting a little nervous. I reach out to him anyway -- the ad is only 12 hours old, so if nothing else maybe I get to look at it and see -- and he tells me he's out of town for a week and we can reconnect when he's back.

Who puts up an ad and then leaves town for a week? This is just weird. Meanwhile, Reverb guy is 100% positive on a large number of transactions, the price is right, the guitar is eight years old instead of 48 . . . right or wrong, let's do this.

So, here she is -- Rose. 2012 D-125 in cherry. Plays and sounds like a dream. Like a 73? Probably not. I don't know and I'm not sure if I care. She's mine and I love her.

WBRT5vW.jpg

She and her sister make an attractive pair.

l6pEz6R.jpg

There may be one or more USA Guilds in my future -- the GAS is real -- but these two are a great place to start. Thanks for taking the time to read my little novel. :fat:

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice score on both, handsome guitars, sweet pair. Really like my D-120, which is more or less a
later version of your D-125.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Smartly done! That's a pretty pair! I think that was a good choice on the newer 6-string. Major congrats!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
As a new guitarist, with your focus on playing and practicing, buying the newer guitar was a good move if you like the action and sound. Buying 50 year old guitars and restoring them to great playability and tone is a whole other ballgame, sometimes with a steep learning curve. I like the striped top on the 12-string.

:encouragement:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...buying the newer guitar was a good move if you like the action and sound. Buying 50 year old guitars and restoring them to great playability and tone is a whole other ballgame, sometimes with a steep learning curve....

Well put. It is satisfying to restore vintage models and bring them back into playing shape, but not everybody is into that aspect of guitar acquisition. Personally, I'm mainly into playing, not restoring. Playing has got a steep enough learning curve as it is! :tiger:

marius

Reaction score
Congrats on the new GAD. If you’ve still got the GS Mini I’d recommend bringing it in for a setup. A good setup will make a world of difference in playability for only about $30-$50, and you’ll have a great travel/campfire guitar.

Mark WW

Reaction score
The GAD's are great guitars in my opinion and you have two of the best. They are easy to play and sound great. If you want a US made Guild get one but it isn't necessary. I would sit back and enjoy! You done good!!!

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
Congrats on the new GAD. If you’ve still got the GS Mini I’d recommend bringing it in for a setup. A good setup will make a world of difference in playability for only about $30-$50, and you’ll have a great travel/campfire guitar.

That's a good idea -- other than some lighter strings it has the setup it came out of the box with. I'll probably end up getting some calipers and a string gauge and going the DIY route with it though; always been a tinkerer, and with Taylor's catalog of standardized parts, it would be an easy one to return to stock condition.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can see why your tail is a waggin with that nice pair of Guilds. I love the top grain on that 12! Congrats, welcome and yes, this forum is awesome.

midnightright

Reaction score
Looks great! That’s what I call a great start, indeed. I remember when I began playing, a year after graduating high school many moons ago. I asked the two guitar players in my graduating class for advice on seeking out a first guitar.

One said, “There’s ALWAYS going to be a better guitar!” And the other, “It doesn’t really matter what you play—all that matters is if you like it & can roll with it...” I think that their advice still holds up!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
She's mine and I love her.
'at's the spirit.
Not only that but in the case of the D125-12 that's an extremely unusual configuration for Guild, a flatbackall-'hog dreadnaught 12.
In fact I think it's the only model.
The other 2 all hog dread 12's were arched backs from the late '80's.
:friendly_wink:

tailsawaggin

Reaction score
Cool! Clue a newbie in -- what are the practical differences between a flat and arched back? Structural, cosmetic, tonal . . . grammatical?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Cool! Clue a newbie in -- what are the practical differences between a flat and arched back? Structural, cosmetic, tonal . . . grammatical?

As for flat vs arched, gonna direct you to a recent discussion, see posts #20 &22 here:
https://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?200842-JF-26/page2
What wasn't covered in that one are the actual practical differences you asked about:
Guild arched backs are by definition laminated one piece backs that don't require bracing.
Laminations were originally conceived to be stronger than solid wood of the same thickness, and the arch also offers superior impact resistance the same way a Roman arch resists crushing.
Laminations are also virtually immune to cracks caused by low humidity.
Guild flat backs are always 2 pieces of solid wood (with a couple of rare 3 piece designs) which are "bookmatched" so their sides show mirror reflections of the grain pattern.
These need to be reinforced with a center strip and cross braces to keep 'em together.
The extra bracing adds a little weight and I suspect it requires more labor to build such a back than it does to make an arched back:
For an archback the laminated sheet is simply put in a press which forms the shape under heat and pressure.
Guild used high-grade furniture veneer for the outer layers and the middle layer was something light and economical like larch or alder.
Using a lamination for backs isn't a handicap on a guitar's voice because the back's primary purpose is to reflect sound.
The primary work of generating sound is done by the top where a lamination could inhibit resonance and range of frequency output, that's why they get a "bad rap".
Guild flat-top tops are ALWAYS solid.
Barring the one exception I might be forgetting right now.
With Guild there's ALWAYS an exception.
It's almost like they did it on purpose.
:glee:

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Tails, congrats on the new 6 string! That's a super nice pair and I do love the mahogany top on the 12, but the 6er is beautiful too. But now you've got both! And 12 strings to brighten up the mahogany should do it. Al has pretty much covered the differences in flat vs. arched. They're both good. The arch provides strength and structural components to the back as well as the shape to bounce the sound out. Usually sighted are superior sustain and projection due to lack of bracing to inhibit sound and focusing the sound out the soundhole. Each guitar is an individual and I'm sure you'll enjoy them both. I also agree with marius as he stated above, to have a setup done on the GS Mini to make sure it's as easy to play as possible. Let them know your issues and on a guitar that's a short scale they may have string suggestions to lower the tension as well (it's a short scale guitar, usually easier to fret) and make it more playable. Either way, enjoy your guitars and thanks for sharing your newest acquisition with us!! :encouragement: