Starfire V updates 'Documented PDF file'

Crazylay

Reaction score
Hi.

I got asked to document my updates to my Starfire V.

So in this document i will explain how to replace pickups, pots, wiring etc on a starfire or similar semi-hollow guitar.
(Including custom pickup size rings)

Please check this file:
PDF Document

Thanks for reading.
Marco Luten

Ludeco - Gitaar Service (Guitar repair shop, Netherlands)
www.Ludeco.nl

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
As the one that asked for the report, thank you.

In what way did the new pickups not fit the old rings?

So how do the new pickups sound?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
great doc, and thanks for crediting me in the pic.

In regards to pulling knobs, I can't recommend this enough: https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Maintenance/Pullit_Knob_Puller.html

Pullit_Knob_Puller.jpg
I may try to 3D print one because it's really a brilliantly simple design.

Without that tool, I recommend a shoelace under the knob. No matter how careful you are, using a wrench is bound to cause a problem eventually, even with a towel or rag underneath.

Crazylay

Reaction score
Thanks for crediting me in the pic.

In regards to pulling knobs, I can't recommend this enough: https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Maintenance/Pullit_Knob_Puller.html

Pullit_Knob_Puller.jpg
I may try to 3D print one because it's really a brilliantly simple design.

Without that tool, I recommend a shoelace under the knob. No matter how careful you are, using a wrench is bound to cause a problem eventually, even with a towel or rag underneath.

No problem!!

That's a really good idea! But doesn't that already exists ? I think I saw something like that before.. I'll try to find it.

And a towel or lace is just a idea.. I'm not using anything. Just carefully pulling it.

Thanks for your reply

Crazylay

Reaction score
As the one that asked for the report, thank you.

In what way did the new pickups not fit the old rings?

So how do the new pickups sound?

The stock LB-1 pickups have different dimensions. They sit between a mini-humbucker and a humbucker(I will measure them for you). So my new p90 pups were to small for the stock rings. In length I would have 2mm over and in width 4mm.

The idea with the firebird ring is my solution. And it looks cool too haha

Sound of the new pickups.. wow! What a amazing sound! Full, warm, sparkling and with enough bite in the gain stage!(as is what I asked for). Such a good update.. although the stock pups were not bad but wasn't my sound. They just got not enough bite for my kind of music.. the neck was too muddy and the bridge to bright and not enough output. I play southern rock mostly so I need that bite and warmth when playing dirty.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total