What strings do you recommend?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can say that in the case of Guild and D'Addario I'm pretty sure it was a matter of Guild choosing the strings that best met their requirements for "the Guild sound".
Guild actually had a close relationship with D'A since the early '60's when it was still DARCO, and they were the first maker to ship D'Addario's new pb formula as standard on many models including dreadnoughts.
There's even a reference to a "Special Bronze Alloy- High copper content-wound on hexagonal wire" formula on page 12 of the '72 price list, even uses the L350/M450 designations that remained in use through Tacoma:
https://www.gad.net/Blog/2010/08/05/guild-guitar-price-list-1972-april/
Ever since I saw that I wondered if that was the actual D'Addario PB and Guild actually had access to the formula even before D'Addario formally went to market with it under their own name in '74?
The "Special Bronze Alloy- High copper content" continues appearing until the May '77 price list which finally shows " "Guild Phosphor Bronze-wound on hexagonal wire" and still using the L350/M450 designations along with a couple of new gauge sets.
"Draw your own conclusion"-
:friendly_wink:

my contention is that Guild was the guitar mfgr D'A chose to test out their watershed acoustic guitar string alloy, phosphor bronze.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My memory is so short that I can't find a post I thought I made here . Hmmm now I know I typed it out so if anyone sees where it went let me know . Lol

I'll throw in my strings of choice why ? Because I'm board so I'm going to watch the curse of oak island but before I go the stings in order of use .

#1 Elixer Nano Webs , why ? Because to me the sound great well balanced tone , long life and the best least no squeak string I know of . I hate squeak but it's all my fault anyway I'm sloppy .
#2 Martin Monals again good tone ,i love they sound at first but like them more after a few days if settling in .

#3 New to me D'adderio NYXL Nickels. The guitar there on now sounds wonderful and you'll here it I promise.

With that said I just found out that String Joy just introduced their new Nickel strings .

I mentioned String Joy before and have great respect for their whole concept if making strings . They are quality for sure .

So I'll be looking to get a set to try out . If they had something like the Nano webs they very could be my strings of choice . 😊

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Because I'm board so I'm going to watch the curse of oak island
5ab17bb8e012e.image.jpg

Curse of Oak Island?!?!?
They make jail inmates watch that in the common area when they're on restricted privileges!
It's considered to be worse than no TV at all!
Don't you have a kung fu channel or something?
Actually DirecTV now part of the AT&T evil empire just took mine away but I got DVD's.
Ok back to the string thread.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
5ab17bb8e012e.image.jpg

Curse of Oak Island?!?!?
They make jail inmates watch that in the common area when they're on restricted privileges!
It's considered to be worse than no TV at all!
Don't you have a kung fu channel or something?
Actually DirecTV now part of the AT&T evil empire just took mine away but I got DVD's.
Ok back to the string thread.

Hey don't mess with my oak island oh I work with inmates sooooooo ....
Kung fu on Netflix. ��
I been trying for a long time to get that running through the tops of trees thing , it's very difficult.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey don't mess with my oak island oh I work with inmates sooooooo ....
Kung fu on Netflix. ��
You must look for "The Battle Wizard".
Trust me on this.

hqdefault.jpg

I been trying for a long time to get that running through the tops of trees thing , it's very difficult.[/QUOTE]

'cause the pros use special PB wires.
As first seen in the aforementioned Battle Wizard:

TheBattleWizard+1977-81-b.jpg

:emmersed:

Reaction score
My 2 Cents:
Generally, I have found 80/20 strings to be much easier on the hands than PB. On many guitars, they sound better too (my Gibson J45, Martin D35 particularly).

Surprisingly, I am not seeing love for John Pearse in this thread, which is odd for a gaggle of Guild players. Let me add that JP nickel strings have a softer touch than any of the others (Martin monel or D'Adarrio God-awful nickel-bronze, which not only are stiff as heck but sound like they have a blanket over the fretboard). The JP nickel sound wonderful too -- they are on my F47R now and I just ordered some more sets because that guitar just loves them.

As for D'Adarrio generally -- IMHO -- they are always stiff and never last. Yes, they are inexpensive, but to my ears and hands, they are pretty worthless.

The latest version of Martin Authentics, either coated or not, are very, very good. The coated ones are my go to strings on many of my guitars -- especially the 80/20's.... The coated ones do not have that obnoxious over-zing of the previous "Lifespan" variety and last for months. The uncoated ones last about a month....

paulyy

Reaction score
I've been thinking of sound related to a guitar's peculiar features, and according to what you seem to be looking for, I suspect that Monels could suit you.

I recently bought a set of new Martin Authentic strings (MA175 i.e. Custom Light Bronze) and it doesn't seem to fit my Guild F-30 (New Hartford) too well ; i found them too bright at first, so I wouldn't advice these (though the adirondack braces might be the cause with those)...

If you find the guitar hard it might need to lower down the saddle a little bit (a good luthier could do it easy if you're not familiar with it), or yes, try Custom lights...

Some Elixirs are not as bright as others I think but I can't remember which ones right now...

Yeah seems that it depends on the model not in the brand. The action is a little bit low and on the 6th string its really clear so its not hard because of the action, surely are the strings. Thanks!

paulyy

Reaction score
My 2 Cents:
Generally, I have found 80/20 strings to be much easier on the hands than PB. On many guitars, they sound better too (my Gibson J45, Martin D35 particularly).

Surprisingly, I am not seeing love for John Pearse in this thread, which is odd for a gaggle of Guild players. Let me add that JP nickel strings have a softer touch than any of the others (Martin monel or D'Adarrio God-awful nickel-bronze, which not only are stiff as heck but sound like they have a blanket over the fretboard). The JP nickel sound wonderful too -- they are on my F47R now and I just ordered some more sets because that guitar just loves them.

As for D'Adarrio generally -- IMHO -- they are always stiff and never last. Yes, they are inexpensive, but to my ears and hands, they are pretty worthless.

The latest version of Martin Authentics, either coated or not, are very, very good. The coated ones are my go to strings on many of my guitars -- especially the 80/20's.... The coated ones do not have that obnoxious over-zing of the previous "Lifespan" variety and last for months. The uncoated ones last about a month....

Yeah im meant the martins usually have rosewood with sitka or something like that, they have volume and resonance but those type of strings (80/20s martin?) could fit well in this sitkaspruce-mahogany guild. I think about hard is because not just the strings could be the size of frets, etc. Thanks!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah im meant the martins usually have rosewood with sitka or something like that, they have volume and resonance but those type of strings (80/20s martin?) could fit well in this sitkaspruce-mahogany guild. I think about hard is because not just the strings could be the size of frets, etc. Thanks!
This is kind of funny and could even be something that was "true then but not now" if alloys have been improved or something, but the stiffest set of lights I ever tried were Martin Marquis 80/20 back around 2010 maybe?
Even remember a couple of other comments from folks at the time that yes Martins seemed stiffer to them. Maybe something about the core diameter? (Think Martin tends to run slightly thicker cores than D'A or GHS)
Also were the harshest sounding strings I could remember, gave 'em about 5 hours just to "be fair" IIRC and then back went the EJ-16's, on the D25.
But I'm willing to chalk up Howard and my differences of opinion to having different ears.
Hate to imagine what it'd be like if there weren't so many options...
:smile:

paulyy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys! I bought the ernie ball earthwood 0.11 light! Next time im gonna check the ej16, good coments about those too! Hugs!