Acoustic Boost Pedal?

crank

Reaction score
I have been playing acoustics more with my newest band project and have just started another Americana/jamgrass project where I also mostly play my G37 with it's K&K Pure Mini through a Fishman preamp into a PA.

I am thinking about getting some kind of boost to give me some more volume for solos. I can and have been just using the volume slider on my preamp, but, it's almost impossible to do with my foot and it's awkward and takes too much time to reach down to the floor or wherever to slide the volume slider.

Should I get a boost pedal? Any suggestion? Or perhaps a volume pedal?

Or should I just keep my guitar too loud all the time?

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just turn everything up to 11!

I'd go with a boost pedal over a volume pedal just because you would have the level set on the boost and when you stepped on the switch it would always be the same volume. The volume pedal would be a slight different volume unless you have a very calculated foot!

Last edited:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I agree with Grot. You can "Set it and forget it" with a boost pedal. When using an amp I use a TC Electronics "Spark Plug" and have been happy with it for years. When going through the PA, I use a Fishman Platinum Pro preamp, which has a boost switch.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I use a Fishman belt pack preamp. Volume, tone, phase right at your fingertips.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a LR Baggs Venue DI that works very well. It has a built in adjustable volume boost switch, as well as a separate mute switch.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Or should I just keep my guitar too loud all the time?

Put me in that camp.
Joking aside, the idea of always knowing exactly what level the boost switch was set at seemed useful, unless one needed some flexibility during the course of a given tune.
If so then seems like just volume pedal's the way to go.
And you can get some pretty interesting effects with one, Harvey Mandel being a prime example.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
My guitar is a Guild D-35 with a K&K Pure Mini.

I used to run it through a Fishman Platinum Stage. Disappointing. Sold it. Tried some others. Finally found what I wanted with a used Fire-Eye Red-Eye.

The red button is the boost. The right-hand knob lets you dial in how much. The left-hand is tone.

No bells, no whistles, no tweaking, no twiddling. It sounds good right out of the box. Everything you need, nothing you don't need.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Same exact situation here, K&K pure mini, fishman. The boost switch on the fishman was cumbersome. Got the fire-eye and much happier. Everything at my feet.

However, I still use the fishman (and a tuner) out of the effects loop of the fire-eye. Everything's great so far!

crank

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good suggestions.

I tried something last night that will work at least for now. I have a Boss ME50 multi effects unit that I use for electric guitar and it has both a preamp and a volume pedal. Played through it plugged into my PA and it sounded just fine.

I am used to the volume pedal as I have used this unit for years at countless gigs and jams.

Plus if I want to I can add overdrive, modulation, delay, reverb, compression...

That Red Eye sounds like it would be great. I will keep my eye out for a deal on a used one. $225 is more than I want to spend right now.