Starfire III - whats this below the bridge?

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I use a piece of spongy stuff from an old cup holder as a mute on my ES-350T. The guitar has a Bigsby, like in Grot's screencap, that reduces the string break angle behind the bridge relative to a typical trapeze tailpiece. Without the mute the strings can ring audibly while playing, especially at higher volume levels.

Edit: I keep forgetting posting pics is now easy-peasy. (The Gretsch Chet Atkins is a '57. I've since removed the Vibramate Spoiler due to a similar issue with ringing strings.)

82CFAC9F-BF8E-4745-B47C-60E4F2DA0F6E.jpg

-Dave-

I know that this photo was slipped into a thread about a Starfire III, but that '57 Gretsch Chet Atkins with blackface DeArmonds is waaaaay cool! :encouragement:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I know that this photo was slipped into a thread about a Starfire III, but that '57 Gretsch Chet Atkins with blackface DeArmonds is waaaaay cool! :encouragement:

Yep, it's a crazy great instrument. From the production run either just before or after Duane Eddy's (I forget which).

I've since replaced the ES-350T's spongy string mute with one that's tidier cosmetically. :) Kills the sympathetic string ringing while not interfering at all with Bigsby action.

-Dave-