Starfire III - whats this below the bridge?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's the foam that is under the bridge to prevent damage during shipping. You should really remove that...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Using foam "ahead" of the bridge is a common technique for muting an electric bass almost since their commercial beginnings.

That said, anecdotal physics suggests the portion of the string behind the bridge should have no effect on sound or tone but we know that is not always true or accepted as true. So I also think it is there deliberately to dampen or must the strings. Whether it actually does anything is another discussion.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I poke fun at them not removing the foam when they used Newark St. Guilds in Sooper Troopers 2 in my review of the NS SFIII: https://www.gad.net/Blog/2019/05/13/2016-guild-newark-street-starfire-iii/

SuperTroopers2-GuildStarfireBridge.png

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Starfire in the OP doesn't look like NS to me, though. I think that's double stick tape to keep the bridge from moving.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
It could also be adhesive mounting squares. I know that some players use them to hold floating bridges in place because they purportedly remove cleanly and won't harm finishes. I've never used them and don't know if this is true, but I've seen them recommended before on forums.

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Are we all looking at the same thing?

Foam.jpg

I interpret "below the bridge" as the gray rectangle under the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece. This looks like a piece of foam to mute the strings and keep them from resonating.

Others seem to think there is foam under the bridge foot between the bridge and the top of the guitar as GAD's photo shows for shipping. I don't see that in the photo. I see an aluminum Bigsby bridge!

Last edited:

D55007

Reaction score

Foam.jpg

I interpret "below the bridge" as the gray rectangle under the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece. This looks like a piece of foam to mute the strings and keep them from resonating.

Others seem to think there is foam under the bridge foot between the bridge and the top of the guitar as GAD's photo shows for shipping. I don't see that in the photo. I see an aluminum Bigsby bridge! Looking at the TRC this doesn't appear to be a NS.

Yes, between bridge and tailpiece is where I am referring to.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I use a piece of spongy stuff from an old cup holder as a mute on my ES-350T. The guitar has a Bigsby, like in Grot's screencap, that reduces the string break angle behind the bridge relative to a typical trapeze tailpiece. Without the mute the strings can ring audibly while playing, especially at higher volume levels.

Edit: I keep forgetting posting pics is now easy-peasy. (The Gretsch Chet Atkins is a '57. I've since removed the Vibramate Spoiler due to a similar issue with ringing strings.)

82CFAC9F-BF8E-4745-B47C-60E4F2DA0F6E.jpg

-Dave-

Last edited:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
The Starfire in the OP doesn't look like NS to me, though. I think that's double stick tape to keep the bridge from moving.

The YouTube date of Jun 26, 2012 for the video suggests that the instrument is not a Newark Street instrument.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
More importantly, there's a Commodore Pet on stage!

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 2.44.40 PM.jpg

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
More importantly, there's a Commodore Pet on stage!

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 2.44.40 PM.jpg

Ok, but given the Zenith turntable it could be a 2020 performance with retro props for decoration. Or should I tell you about friends who are still using 1990's computers today :)

D55007

Reaction score
The YouTube date of Jun 26, 2012 for the video suggests that the instrument is not a Newark Street instrument.

I believe he has had this Starfire for a while and it’s the same one seen during his time with Barenaked Ladies.

Though he has been playing a Newark St Guild too!

C94Bk99WAAA_IyK.jpg

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
Maybe it keeps the strings behind the bridge from resonating?

This is the correct answer, or at least the one I would go with. The long strings behind the Bigsby roller are notorious for sympathetic vibrations (wolf tones). Sometimes people will fold up a dollar bill and weave it between the strings. My first guitar, a Harmony H76 I bought used, came with pipe cleaners wrapped around the ball ends and a little ways up the string. I didn't realize the reason at the time.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total

Foam.jpg

Others seem to think there is foam under the bridge foot between the bridge and the top of the guitar as GAD's photo shows for shipping. I don't see that in the photo. I see an aluminum Bigsby bridge! Looking at the TRC this doesn't appear to be a NS.
Ah -- I see it now. Yep. Most definitely a damper. This section of strings tend to ring out as incidentals. Sorry about that.