Hi Everybody! Got myself a Guild!

hairpuller

Reaction score
Just purchased a Guild Orpheum 12 fret 000/OM mahogany!!! I believe it's a 2014, but not positive.

Could not be more excited for the arrival, which is sometime early next week. I've looked all over the net and can't find anywhere regarding how many of these were built? One fella guessed 50-100.

I would love to know how many of my particular model are out there.

Thanks in advance!! :encouragement:
scott

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
wow, congrats those Orfs are the best! many on the LTG own one or more, so no doubt will hear soon from them.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG, hp! Your first Guild is a real winner around here. We'll need photos, of course...

Apparently you've been approved by our prestigious membership committee:

iBswc4J.jpg

hairpuller

Reaction score
Thanks y'all! Appreciate the welcomes and the help! Will read the past threads to see if I can't glean some good info on my Orpheum!!
I'll try to post pics next week if I can figure out how!
scott

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome, Scott! Looking forward to pics when you get the guitar!

walrus

hairpuller

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll try to get a pic up next week <fingers crossed!>.

scott

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ooooo boy are going to be disappointed ..... NOT !

shoot I wasn't suppose to say anything yet before my belated New old gear day post .
Bad Even Williams cherry bad !

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just purchased a Guild Orpheum 12 fret 000/OM mahogany!!! I believe it's a 2014, but not positive.
Welcome to LTG. The Slotted-Headstock 6 String MH is a rare guitar. It was only introduced at NAMM 2014 in January 2014 and Guild closed the factory in New Hartford in May 2014. So yes, your guitar was made in 2014 and the 2014 serial number starts with NR. My best estimated is around 20 maybe 25 of the 6 string slotted headstock guitars (total over all 4 versions, RW, MH, NT, ATB) were built, but never ever 50. (only a total of 15 were built of all four versions of the 12 string model)

https://guildguitars.com/g/slotted-headstock-6-string-mh/

I now own that Rosewood 12 string Orpheum from NAMM he holds in his hands and the Mahogany 12 string version one as well. At the beginning he talks about the 6 string.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVdt71hVslI

See also here and count the 6 string slotted headstock models: https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?184788-LTG-Orpheum-Owners

Ralf

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome and stick around - nice bunch of folks around here. After I brought home my Craigslist-find 14-fret slope shoulder Rosewood dreadnought Orpheum, I realized I will never need a better guitar than that. I might want one, but I will never need one better. If I ever have to thin the herd to one, that guitar is the one.

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just purchased a Guild Orpheum 12 fret 000/OM mahogany!!!

Major congrats! An excellent choice for you I'm sure! I think we're going to need updates, photos, sound clips, the works. :friendly_wink: And welcome to LTG!

hairpuller

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG. The Slotted-Headstock 6 String MH is a rare guitar. It was only introduced at NAMM 2014 in January 2014 and Guild closed the factory in New Hartford in May 2014. So yes, your guitar was made in 2014 and the 2014 serial number starts with NR. My best estimated is around 20 maybe 25 of the 6 string slotted headstock guitars (total over all 4 versions, RW, MH, NT, ATB) were built, but never ever 50. (only a total of 15 were built of all four versions of the 12 string model)

https://guildguitars.com/g/slotted-headstock-6-string-mh/

I now own that Rosewood 12 string Orpheum from NAMM he holds in his hands and the Mahogany 12 string version one as well. At the beginning he talks about the 6 string.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVdt71hVslI

See also here and count the 6 string slotted headstock models: https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?184788-LTG-Orpheum-Owners

Ralf

Great info, Ralf! Wow!! So, would it be crazy for me to think that there might have been only 5 of the Orph 12 fret MH natural tops made!? If so, I feel like one lucky fella!!!
Are there plans to make more?
Thanks again to all who have chimed in! Feels real nice around here!
scott

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great info, Ralf! Wow!! So, would it be crazy for me to think that there might have been only 5 of the Orph 12 fret MH natural tops made!? If so, I feel like one lucky fella!!!
Are there plans to make more?
Thanks again to all who have chimed in! Feels real nice around here!
scott

Hans Moust and Ralf are two members who know a lot (or can find things out), prize accuracy, and will post corrections if they discover they were wrong or new information appears. (Unlike people like me who will either never admit they were wrong or will be corrected and then forget and repeat the same thing months or years later). So you probably have the best available estimate of numbers.

You should be aware that Guild buyers tend not to buy something just because it is rare or scarce. So you are one lucky person but should you ever decide to sell, the price fetched will have more to do with it being a fine instrument and not 1 of 5 or a similarly small number.

I seem to recall a couple official statements that could mean CMG will make Orpheums in Oxnard eventually but it was not in any sense a commitment. They certainly have the capability to do so. Some Orpheum like features seem to be showing up in the MIC Westerly Collection. Whether that is testing the market for a MIA Orpheum or indicates an eventual MIC Orpheum like instrument is anyone's guess.

hairpuller

Reaction score
Oh, I have no interest in selling! I've owned several Guilds in the past (1970's D25, D40, F50), so I know what great guitars they are. I do, however, tend to flip a lot of guitars looking for that "Lifetime" guitar. I sure hope this is it!

On another note, anyone have an opinion on a string choice for this Orph?

Best, scott

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Scott, I'm sure you'll get PLENTY of opinions about string choice. We've got a lot of threads on that subject.

My own personal choice is uncoated John Pearse phosphor bronze. I think I'm using a light set on my 12-string RW OOO Orpheum, but it has a different sound than any other Guild I own and experimentation is the key. I believe that D'Addario EXP PB (coated, that is) are what was used at Guild initially on your axe. Anyway, have fun in the hunt.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Scott, I'm sure you'll get PLENTY of opinions about string choice. We've got a lot of threads on that subject.

My own personal choice is uncoated John Pearse phosphor bronze. I think I'm using a light set on my 12-string RW OOO Orpheum, but it has a different sound than any other Guild I own and experimentation is the key. I believe that D'Addario EXP PB (coated, that is) are what was used at Guild initially on your axe. Anyway, have fun in the hunt.

I put D'adderio NYXL Nickel wound on my Orph 12 fret . There my first set and I like the way they sound . I would say in this match Clarity would be the first word that comes to mind.

hairpuller

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will certainly do a bit of experimenting...which I love! Currently I really enjoy Retros on my 000-18, which also is mahogany b&s. Might try those first as a baseline.
scott