-

jcwu

Reaction score
I think that's a bit high, even for a rare serial number. Just my opinion, sure others will chime in.

Hopefully you didn't pay $3500 when you bought it a while back?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. To be clear you are going to swap the guitar for cash and gear that you consider worth $3500. You are asking whether that is too low, right?

$3500 is the MSRP for a new one. I'd SWAG $2,500 for a used one and quite honestly my opinion is the 'rarity" is worth exactly $0. Soif what you get is worth $3500 to you, I think you are doing all right.

That said my opinions can sometimes be misinformed :)

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome P90 and you are on a great forum. Lots of knowledgeable folks but most of us think "Hans" is the Guild Guru and look for his comments.
From your information, a rare stamped D55.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Guild D-55 made in Corona, California with the serial "Test 1". I was told it was the first guitar built from the Corona Factory from the person I bought it from a while back. I have a friend who is interested in buying a D55 because he likes the way mine sounds. He's willing to pay 3500 (in cash and equipment) for it since a new one would cost that much and since this one is used even though the serial is rare. He's gets to save on tax and I get some money for a new guitar. Win/Win. I'm more of an electric guitar player so I haven't touched it in years so I'm thinking of just selling it and getting a new Rickenbacker 360. My other friends say to make sure just in case. Am I getting ripped off or is this a fair deal? I've contacted Guild a couple years ago when they were still owned by Fender and they didn't have any information on the guitar. I can post pictures if you guys want. Thanks for your time.

Welcome aboard P90, see this thread for more info about what was happening in Corona before true production of warranteed instruments (ie, "A" stock) commenced:
https://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?201356-Mystery-quot-J-30-quot-Factory-2nd

NO way a D55 with an s/n "test 1" is an actual produced-for-retail-sale instrument.
It might be the first instrument built in Corona as one of the "practice guitars" for the brand new builders who had zero experience building flattops, though.
Maybe has "curiosity value" or other value to hardcore collectors of Guilds, or maybe in the distant future when Guilds finally get the respect they deserve, but right now I think that's a fantastic price for you.
I'm a Corona fan myself and although it would probably give me twinges of GAS for the novelty, I'm absolutely certain $3500 is w-a-a-a-y overpriced if it's what I think it is.
Come appraisal time that s/n's gonna work against it.
Provenance will be mighty hard, more likely impossible: then how do you prove it's not a counterfeit?
And in fairness those are normally very obvious to us here because certain build details are almost always incorrect, so yes pleases show us those pics if you want more informed feedback.
If it's actually stamped on the headstock as "Test 1" it might be that same D55 production prototype I mention in that other thread about the JF30.
I don't recall if that one had a stamp but the time frame of your acquisition seems possibly too close to be coincidence.
And the caveat about "value" still applies to prototypes: insufficient provenance unless somebody like Hans Moust or George Gruhn would vouch (letter of appraisal) for it.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
A guitar is worth on that day what you are willing to let it go for and what someone is willing to pay for it. No more no less. A '59 Gibson LP is not worth half a million unless as stated you have one and those 2 conditions are met.

Last edited: