New Member with NUGD question about serial number

Reaction score
Newbie here. I just picked up a JF-65-12 SB and am loving it! I have an Orpheum 12 fret dred in mahogany/Adirondack and an F-55 in rosewood already, so the maple sunburst 12 fills out the flavors quite well. My question is it was sold as a 1994 but the serial number does not match with anything in the Guild files, though it is very close to a 1987 number, but most similar to the JF65M. It's definitely a Westerly by the label and it matches the back of the headstock. Does anyone have any ideas? I think it might be one of the first JF-65-12's made?
Thanks in advance and looking forward to spending time here!

Model: JF-65-12 SB. Serial Number: JF65012X.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome Quake. No information from other than to say I bought a JF65 maple and was a super fine guitar. I try to keep a maple in my stable and Guild has the best maples IMO.
Enjoy and your Guilds are 2nd to none--Orpheum and F55R.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Newbie here. I just picked up a JF-65-12 SB and am loving it! I have an Orpheum 12 fret dred in mahogany/Adirondack and an F-55 in rosewood already, so the maple sunburst 12 fills out the flavors quite well. My question is it was sold as a 1994 but the serial number does not match with anything in the Guild files, though it is very close to a 1987 number, but most similar to the JF65M. It's definitely a Westerly by the label and it matches the back of the headstock. Does anyone have any ideas? I think it might be one of the first JF-65-12's made?
Thanks in advance and looking forward to spending time here!

Model: JF-65-12 SB. Serial Number: JF65012X.

Hi Quake, welcome aboard!
Those s/n charts are known to be rife with errors especially during that period when George Gruhn's new model numbering system started kicking in.
I'm with you I'm guessing it's an '87-'88 but I can recall somebody's similar question about their JF30-12 a while back, and one of our members actually confirmed it as a '92 even though it looked like it had to be an '87 going by the s/n's on those charts.
Hans Moust is truly the only guy for the absolutely correct answer on that, although a couple of our members keep track of s/n sightings of certain models that might also nail it down, like SFIV1967, in case he can answer first.
If Hans doesn't see this shortly, email him at:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome, congrats and wow! That’s quite a trifecta of fine Guilds you have there!

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I bought from a shop out of state as a consignment piece. They said the nice lady bought in 1994 but did not play it much. I'm a sucker for Guild sunbursts so there you have it. Would it have been NOS in '94 sitting around for 6-7 years?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just to give you a ballpark idea of when the rim was completed before it was closed up there's a date stamped on the neck block. Look inside the soundhole and there should be a date stamped, if it's a Westerly RI build, and that will get you close!! Beyond that, as has been said above, Hans Moust knows pretty much all from Westerly RI, so if you need an exact completion date, you can private message him from here, or better yet contact him on his website which Al has provided above.

Welcome to the forum!! Nice stable you have!! :encouragement:

Last edited: