F20 question

Reaction score
I have a 70’s f20. It doesn’t have a label inside but “guild” is stamped into the back brace. There is also an ink marking stamped into the brace looks like “02”. Is the lack of a label and the 02 indicate that it is a second?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, that would be a second, but the lack of label is more likely weak glue.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. What AcornHouse said. But I would wonder about the back of the headstock. A factory first would have a serial number stamped there and there might be evidence that it was removed or obscured.

Reaction score
The serial number is clear on the back of the head stock. I was thinking that it would be removed or obliterated

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The serial number is clear on the back of the head stock. I was thinking that it would be removed or obliterated

It often is, but sometimes it is not reasonable to expect consistency from Guild because it isn't there. From the manufacturer's point of view the primary reason to mark something as a second is to prevent warranty claims, especially a claim to fix something they had decided not to fix when they made it a second. So the stamped 2 is sufficient for this purpose. Perhaps the missing label was deliberate although I don't recall a prior example.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Not for a "second" at that time.
Never saw that until Corona era ('01-'04) guitars.
And there was a period in early-mid '70s' when missing labels are most common, probably weak glue as Acornhouse said.
BTW welcome aboard Prossi!