Guitar Center in Falls Church, VA

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just got back from visiting Guitar Center in Falls Church, VA. If you are a Martin, Taylor, or Gibson guy/gal, they have several high-end guitars from those Maker's but under lock and key and out of reach. Lots of Alvarez and Yamaha guitars - a few Epiphones and most in the $300 to $500 range. Not one USA Guild and only three total Guilds. I picked up the 240E--nice but I left with a little disappointment in my gut.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember when I met Ren Ferguson at LMG III, and I mentioned how many underwhelming Gibson acoustics I had played at GC. He told me "Guitar center is not where you want to buy a Gibson", and that has always stayed with me.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember when I met Ren Ferguson at LMG III, and I mentioned how many underwhelming Gibson acoustics I had played at GC. He told me "Guitar center is not where you want to buy a Gibson", and that has always stayed with me.

I would say, "Guitar Center is not where you want to buy a guitar" with very few exceptions.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would say, "Guitar Center is not where you want to buy a guitar" with very few exceptions.

Other than used guitars (my 2010 F512 being a great example), I would heartily agree!

Grassdog

Reaction score
Other than used guitars (my 2010 F512 being a great example), I would heartily agree!

Same with my 2003 F412 that I picked up for a great price at a GC in Dayton.

As far as Ren's comment about Gibsons at GC, I'm guessing that he'd say that about any of the premium brands. In general, those places don't put a lot of effort in making sure the instruments are set up properly and strings are old and dead. When I engage a salesperson it usually turns out that I know more about the features/specs of their inventory than they do (which isn't saying much). Certainly not the kind of experience you'd get at a high end shop like Elderly for example or maybe Sweetwater where you can sample a dozen D-28's or J-45's side by side.

JF-30

Reaction score
I live in NN, Va and its to far to drive to the DC area for me. What high end Martins do they have. I just got a D-41. I think there are only 2 higher in there list of Standards. A D-42 which has a little more bling and different fret markers and the D-45, super pimp model, but I'm not Neil Young and the 41 is way more than I need but it is really nice.

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score

My daughter plays trumpet..and she is doing pretty well. I asked one of her teachers if it was time for her to upgrade. They said she was certainly ready. They recommended a Bach Stradivarius, (I should have guessed by the name). Over $3,000!!

A local store that supplies a lot of student models is an authorized dealer for Bach, (as is GC), I spoke w/the gent who inspects and sets up all incoming...he says he will send back a few every year..even on a relatively high end trumpet there are duds.

Not to dump on GC but I don't think they would do that prior to sending one to me.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Gibsons at GC? The last time I was in a GC, probably ten years ago, I played a number of Martin, Taylor and Gibson high end instruments. The only ones that I would have considered buying, soundwise, were two Gibson j-45s, so sometimes they hit the mark.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I live in NN, Va and its to far to drive to the DC area for me. What high end Martins do they have. I just got a D-41. I think there are only 2 higher in there list of Standards. A D-42 which has a little more bling and different fret markers and the D-45, super pimp model, but I'm not Neil Young and the 41 is way more than I need but it is really nice.
Will go back this week and go into the "sacred" room. I remember D28s but will give a better report after next visit.

PittPastor

Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone is always dumping on Guitar Center. We have 2 around me, and I would be very sorry to see them go. I guess you all have amazing guitar stores around you that handle boutique stuff, but we don't here. No one, and I mean no one, here stocks American made Guilds. I'm not sure Guild makes enough guitars in America to stock every Guitar Center, do they? I get the impression their inventory runs are much smaller than other companies. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

But I've been able to try several used Guild between the two GCs. I got a steal of a deal on my Savoy from GC buy ordering it from another store. (Being able to search inventory by store online is great!)

And, yeah, the "sales techs" are basically twenty somethings that know how to shred, and know precious little about acoustics... but who cares? I don't need them to help me anyway. Just let me go into the room, and try things. I can play any guitar in the shop. The under lock and key is an inconvenience, but that's the world we live in. I can walk around trying guitars in any amp I see. They never pressure me. And if I buy something, I have 45 days to try it out, and I can take it back and just say: "I didn't love it" and they take it back no hassles at all.

They're a gift if you ask me.

My experience at GC is SO much better than my experience at Sweetwater. That's been nothing but miserable.

I guess YMMV.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's not GC's fault if Gibson ships them some crappy guitars. But it is their fault if they put 'em out on the sales floor instead of sending them straight back to Gibson.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone is always dumping on Guitar Center. We have 2 around me, and I would be very sorry to see them go. I guess you all have amazing guitar stores around you that handle boutique stuff, but we don't here. No one, and I mean no one, here stocks American made Guilds. I'm not sure Guild makes enough guitars in America to stock every Guitar Center, do they? I get the impression their inventory runs are much smaller than other companies. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

But I've been able to try several used Guild between the two GCs. I got a steal of a deal on my Savoy from GC buy ordering it from another store. (Being able to search inventory by store online is great!)

And, yeah, the "sales techs" are basically twenty somethings that know how to shred, and know precious little about acoustics... but who cares? I don't need them to help me anyway. Just let me go into the room, and try things. I can play any guitar in the shop. The under lock and key is an inconvenience, but that's the world we live in. I can walk around trying guitars in any amp I see. They never pressure me. And if I buy something, I have 45 days to try it out, and I can take it back and just say: "I didn't love it" and they take it back no hassles at all.

They're a gift if you ask me.

My experience at GC is SO much better than my experience at Sweetwater. That's been nothing but miserable.

I guess YMMV.[/QUOTE
Pitt
You bring up good points--just have not had your good fortune.
And your Sound Cloud "Cats in the Cradle" on your D40c sounds awesome. You could make any guitar sound good--though it seems

Grassdog

Reaction score
I may complain about GC, but I still end up spending a lot of money there on accessories, cables, pedals etc. so I guess my comments can be taken with a grain of salt. I agree I'd rather have them around than not.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
NO you're not wrong,that's perfectly correct and was even cited as a reason GC dropped "US Guild" shortly after New Hartford opened:
Guild's total annual output at the time wouldn't satisfy GC's minimum volume requirement.
Talk about the shoe being on the other foot when dealers used to complain about Fender's typical minimum order requirements from dealers!
To be fair Fender at the time also had an express philosophy of trying to position Guild in outlets where they wouldn't have to compete with all the other "stuff on the wall" that was GC's marketing method.
And truth to tell, a few years back, in the end a consensus seemed to be reached that for GC's a whole lot depended on individual store managers.
It's entirely conceivable that with the known new inventory management and turns guidelines imposed on 'em, they'd go for the stuff with proven sales volume, and US Guild's now in a position of no sales history to boot.
They never pressure me. And if I buy something, I have 45 days to try it out, and I can take it back and just say: "I didn't love it" and they take it back no hassles at all.
Yep, tp give 'em credit where it's due, I consider those to be very valuable services too.

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I assume you were unable to visit Action Music? https://actionguitar.com/

Looks like they have a 2017 D-40 and a 2018 D-55 in stock, both MIA. My experience has been their website doesn't always list everything in the store.
Frono:
Stopped by today but they are closed on Monday. I go there a couple times each visit to Falls Church and will go a couple times before I leave headed home. I will buy an accessory or two.
They had a 2018 D40 Traditional last summer--very good sounding and playing guitar.
My favorite music store in and around Falls Church. Great and knowledgeable people.

JF-30

Reaction score
Will go back this week and go into the "sacred" room. I remember D28s but will give a better report after next visit.

Every GC has one D-28, maybe one D-18. Usually a 15 series of some sort. Mostly 000's or a D. One or two of those ones with awful red-ish stain on them. And then some of the Mexican made stuff that I refuse to touch. Yes I'm a snob at this point in my life I finally have a decent job can buy a nice guitar if I so choose, hence the D-41. I did play a used Martin 000-28EC in the Little River GC. I have a standard 000-28 and OMG that EC was head as shoulders on a different level.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The GC in Times Square stocks USA Oxnardian Guilds. They also have some very nice Gibson acoustics and electrics. they have Martin acoustics that sell basically as soon as they are put on the showroom floor. they also have a 5K$ Fender custom shop Ron Thorn telecaster, and some real nice amps. Granted, everything else in the place is probably trash and overpriced, but the employees are all pretty cool and seem to know a thing or 2 at least (if even not about Guilds). If you are visiting New York and close to Times Square, check them out. 44th St. between 7th and 8th ave.

Again Gibson is to blame if they are building sub-par guitars, not GC. sounds like Ren is saying they intentionally send GC's some duds. thats on Gibson- not GC. it is up to the consumer to inspect the instrument upon purchase or in the store. Thats why GC has such a good return policy on new guitars. it is not realistic to say GC is going to inspect every Gibson they are sent, and return half of them based on a GC employees opinion on quality- thats not how the world works. GC has covered their bases offering a solid return policy as well as "try before u before you buy." the manufacturer has a certain level of responsibility in quality control and doing the right thing, as does the consumer. every consumer has different preferences and standards, it is up to each consumer to decide what works and what does not. also ive seen train wreck brand new Gibsons in boutique shops and other non-GC music stores, so u just never know. The Sam Ash by me seems to always have really nice stuff

JF-30

Reaction score
Unless I see it unboxed in front of my eyes, I consider every guitar used no matter what GC's tag says. I usually go in there just to play stuff and not to buy guitars. I have a Mom And Pop store by my house and have a great relationship with the owner and will usually only get stuff from him. Now that being said I bought a used Martin D-15M last Xmas from GC and the only reason is it said it was excellent condition (it was) and I could return it if I was not satisfied after 30 days. No case but at $750 the guitar was immaculate. Bought a case for $60 the next day on the bay. I won that day.