RIP Kingston Trio's Bob Shane

dbirchett

Reaction score
"But did he ever return, no he never returned. And his fate is still unlearned."

Founding Kingston Trio member, Bob Shane passed away today. He had suffered a heart attack several years ago but passed away from complications as a result of pneumonia.

In the late 50s and early 60s he inspired many to want to play guitar and sing folk music, myself included. He was one week shy of his 86th birthday.

A life well lived.

silverfox103

Reaction score
That's the end of era that will never be matched; all 3 of the original Kingston Trio are now gone. Those guys brought a lot of enjoyment to many people. I never missed them on TV from the late 50's on Ed Sullivan etc, to their PBS specials.

Tom

gilded

Reaction score
Friend of mine opened in San Antonio one time for the trio. I got to go to the afterparty. I was nobody, but Bob was very nice to me. RIP

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
In the late 50s and early 60s he inspired many to want to play guitar and sing folk music, myself included.

Count me in that group of folks as well! I remember my older brother had a collection of their albums. Looking back, I enjoy the youthful enthusiasm they brought to the music.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I grew up knowing who they were and could sing some of the songs with them. Brother was 7 years older than me and my sister was 10 years older (I'm 66) and so they were older than my generation but we had records in the house of theirs. Doubt they were my brother's but maybe. My sister was into Broadway shows. And Debbie Reynolds (think Tammy), but I loved the songs. I guess I was "musical" even way back then (take that any way you like) and I enjoyed their music. Of course, then I got older and no ones music was more important than mine, but...... I do remember. Sad to hear......

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They were in the collection of guitars and music records my mom and dad had that made me want to play.