Tommy Emmanuel's Close Call

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tommy posted this the day before yesterday on his Facebook page, and this must have been scary!

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 11.40.57 AM.jpg

Certainly not something a professional guitar player wants to see, and happily it ended well. He seemed to be pretty chill about the whole ordeal, too.

F312

Reaction score
He's lucky it was his right hand. Shouldn't have an effect on his livelihood. On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Ralph

F312

Reaction score
He's a finger picker, It may have an effect, just hope it heals well, bummer.

Ralph

geoguy

Reaction score
Yeah, Tommy needs all twelve (or is it fourteen) of his fingers, for the the way that he plays. :very_drunk:

Unfortunately, I think it is easier to dislocate a joint after it has been dislocated once, so he needs to be careful in the future.

Sal

Reaction score
He's a finger picker, It may have an effect, just hope it heals well, bummer.

Ralph

Yeah, he's not out of the woods yet. I hope he gets good medical advice and begins rehab immediately but I'm sure he and his people are on it. After a finger's dislocation tendons will constrict and your finger can hook permanently. My right pinky is a useless claw because I waited. I'm glad it wasn't my left hand.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That photo is ugly!

I broke my pinky on my right hand years ago, but luckily it healed fine. And, of course, I'm not Tommy Emmanuel!

walrus

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Leo Kottke used to have an Alaskan Malamute - his name was Boy - a big dog he was - Leo said that once Boy caught his finger between his jaws and would not let go - even sausages would not be better than Leo's finger - Boy was not biting too hard, but firmly enough for not letting off. Leo told me that by the time them sausages were no go he "got a bit worried" - eventually it ended good, too.

Love them dogs.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Leo Kottke used to have an Alaskan Malamute - his name was Boy - a big dog he was - Leo said that once Boy caught his finger between his jaws and would not let go
Probably got annoyed at being named after a character in a Tarzan movie:
"I'm not your boy. I'm your DOG!"
:glee:

Last edited:

Antney

Reaction score
There are a number of jazz chords that I could play with a finger bent like that

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Or Django Reinhardt! And his injuries were to his fretting hand!

index.jpe

walrus

dbirchett

Reaction score
Oh, that picture of Tommy's hand hurts just to look at.

In the 80s, I was running across the drive into a service station shortly after a rain. I must have hit some water on top or old oil or grease because I ended up falling on my hand and suffered a compound dislocation of my little finger on my right hand. It was going in a similar direction to Tommy's but it actually broke the skin and I could see the cartilage staring back at me. This was a Saturday night, Halloween, after an ASU football game and finding an orthopedist that was able to come in to deal with it took quite a bit of time. My loving wife asked him if I would be able to play the banjo afterwards and he said, "Sure, no problem." She told him, "Great, because he sure can't play it now." Old joke but it added a bit of humor to the situation. As it turned out, he was a pretty good banjo picker and had some really nice ones including the Gibson Florentine and All American banjos and a very nice Stelling. I guess he bought banjos instead of Sports Cars.