Acoustic pedalboard: effects loop vs. instrument input

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this so here it goes...

I've finally started plugging in my acoustic, got the pickup installed and have built a pedalboard with a tuner, fishman stage preamp, and since I wanted a boost, a fire-eye preamp/DI.

So at first I had the tuner into the fishman into the instrument input of the fire-eye. Being a true-bypass pedal, the tuner was causing a loud pop thru the PA whenever it was disengaged. I was kind of expecting this but it was getting annoying. So as an experiment, I ran the tuner and fishman thru the effects loop of the fire-eye and go figure...no pop!

Can anyone help me explain this???

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
My guess would be impedance. A true-bypass pedal can play havoc with the impedance seen by the amp, and putting those pedals in the loop of the FireEye is likely impedance matching the chain for you.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

So you have two preamps daisy-chained ? Distortion ???

Reason why the pop is quieter in the effects-loop is propably that it is now in a higher position of your systems level structure - there is less gain after the tuner and therefore less amplification of the pop.

Being first after the guitar - a slight pop goes first into Fishman - gets boosted by i.e. 20db - goes into FireEye - another 20dB boost.

Being in the effects loop of FireEye it should be AFTER Fishman to minimize pop because of gain boost of Fishman.

Reaction score
Thank you Nuuska,

I used to use the Fishman clipped to my belt and used it with my upright bass before I got the pickup on my guitar. There is a pushbutton boost on the Fishman but I rarely used it. With the guitar, I really wanted a foot pedal boost (hence Fire-eye) and still have the better preamp on the Fishman (and not use the DI of the Fishman). I like the idea of putting the tuner after the Fishman, I'll see how that works. I may end up getting rid of the Fishman as I play around with the preamp of the Fire-eye.

Distortion hasn't been a problem yet, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.