new addition to the family

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Surprise! Wasn't exactly expecting this one, but was able to work out a very good deal on this beautiful 1967 SFB-I, maple body with a stunning burst (first photo is more accurate in color as it was taken in natural light). Well worth saying goodbye to a few pieces of gear that had just been sitting for the last few years. Needs some fret attention, so it's currently with my tech, but the neck, truss, electronics, etc are all in great shape.
Will be getting it back hopefully within a week, but for now, a few fun revelations:
--This one has one of the early single-magnet Bisonics, like my old 1966 had. Not sure when the two-magnet Bisonics started popping up, but I've seen them in both SFB-I's and SFB-II's from the late 60's, though I can't recall what years exactly had them.
--The neck on my 1970 is notably chunkier! Somehow I had never realized this before, but apparently the dawn of the Westerly operation's poly finishes and larger headstock profile, was also accompanied by something in the neighborhood of an extra quarter inch of nut width.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like a beauty Ingo. Play it in good health!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
dawn of the Westerly operation's poly finishes
??? I trust you to know what you're talking about, but I don't remember ever hearing about that before and it comes up periodically in all the 6-string forums.
Only thought they started using poly in mid-'80's on a few instruments and "experimented" with it primarily on electrics through end of Westerly and at least one Corona model the X-150.
In fact can recall one of GAD's reviews on a Starfire (that gorgeous blue '98?) that the catalog said was poly but it actually fluoresced under a blacklight, which is a popular test for NCL...
And before I forget, nice score!
I still prefer the Cherry to that particular burst though, but love the look with the neck pickup and the finger rests.
Are they wood or plastic?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
??? I trust you to know what you're talking about, but I don't remember ever hearing about that before and it comes up periodically in all the 6-string forums.
Only thought they started using poly in mid-'80's on a few instruments and "experimented" with it primarily on electrics through end of Westerly and at least one Corona model the X-150.
In fact can recall one of GAD's reviews on a Starfire (that gorgeous blue '98?) that the catalog said was poly but it actually fluoresced under a blacklight, which is a popular test for NCL...
And before I forget, nice score!
I still prefer the Cherry to that particular burst though, but love the look with the neck pickup and the finger rests.
Are they wood or plastic?

I recall reading somewhere here on LTG that a former Guild employee recalled the company experimenting with poly finishes in the early 70's... not sure if that was only on electrics or what, but it would explain a lot about my red 1970 Starfire's finish. It's so glossy and well in-tact that it would be hard to believe it is nitro... especially considering how much I have already played it and the constantly fluctuating, sometimes overly humid climate in Florida coupled with mine and my fiancee's love for just opening the windows instead of running the A/C, and how the finish really hasn't changed in any way through all of it. This new-to-me Starfire's finish feels completely different and exactly how I've known every nitro finish I've knowingly come in contact with to have felt.

I haven't removed the thumbrests on this one yet and didn't focus on them close enough to say. Can get back to you on material composition once I have the bass back from my tech. The black pickup mounting ring however, to my surprise, was plastic. For some reason I was under the impression that these, as well as the thumbrests, were still wood at that time... Doesn't really make much of a difference to me, but something to note regardless. My 1966 had factory-stock black plastic bridge saddles... it sounded fantastic and I have no reason to believe this affected the sound negatively, but given the choice I would always opt for wood or brass instead

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere here on LTG that a former Guild employee recalled the company experimenting with poly finishes in the early 70's... not sure if that was only on electrics or what, but it would explain a lot about my red 1970 Starfire's finish. It's so glossy and well in-tact that it would be hard to believe it is nitro... especially considering how much I have already played it and the constantly fluctuating, sometimes overly humid climate in Florida coupled with mine and my fiancee's love for just opening the windows instead of running the A/C, and how the finish really hasn't changed in any way through all of it.
I was noting that myself when looking at the pics: No checking.
I haven't removed the thumbrests on this one yet and didn't focus on them close enough to say. Can get back to you on material composition once I have the bass back from my tech. The black pickup mounting ring however, to my surprise, was plastic. For some reason I was under the impression that these, as well as the thumbrests, were still wood at that time... Doesn't really make much of a difference to me, but something to note regardless. My 1966 had factory-stock black plastic bridge saddles... it sounded fantastic and I have no reason to believe this affected the sound negatively, but given the choice I would always opt for wood or brass instead
Yes it was more of a curiosity thing as I think I recall Frono mention something about plastic vs wood rests quite awhile back.
Didn't recall ever hearing about plastic saddles, though, so that's a new one too!
Thanks!

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats!! Gorgeous bass!!
I gotta get me another SF.

mellowgerman

Reaction score

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Just for fun!

gHjaPRD.jpg

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead played one of those for a short time during the late 1960s if memory serves.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead played one of those for a short time during the late 1960s if memory serves.

You mean the ST303?
I was thinking same thing but when looking for the earlier reference it was different ST model:
From here:
https://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?189801-Guilds-at-Woodstock
prev32.jpg

ID'd later in thread by Ralf:
Early Alembic modified ST-402 I'd say...
Ralf
And assuming it's the only ST he had....
:friendly_wink:

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the one (in the PIC). I had the exact model nomenclature wrong, but was mainly just thinking "Starfire-type but with Florentine cutaways".

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the one (in the PIC). I had the exact model nomenclature wrong, but was mainly just thinking "Starfire-type but with Florentine cutaways".
Right, when I first saw a pic of it many years ago I thought it was a Starfire guitar, in fact thought it was actually a factory special with all the knobs because I'd read he actually had an SF special built for him around the time the Dead (or he and Jerry at least) actually visited Westerly, ca '69 I think (+/- a year?).
Now realize it was probably his actual Starfire.
Those guys really loved Guild!
:smile:

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
In that Weir picture, that Guild may be the close relative of the bass I got from Phil. Mark Dronge told me that Guild built a custom instrument for each of the three.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In that Weir picture, that Guild may be the close relative of the bass I got from Phil. Mark Dronge told me that Guild built a custom instrument for each of the three.

what was made for Garcia?

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I don't know. I think we've never seen it (if Mark was right).