Keep him in your heart for a while...............

CA-35

Reaction score
Warren William Zevon would have turned 73 today if he were still with us....................he recorded this song for his last album "The Wind" when he knew he was terminal, and my throat lumps every time I hear it. RIP my brother.................

Zelja

Reaction score
Great song, great artist, supreme songwriter. Provider of the best example of alliteration in rock'n'roll - "A Little old lady got mutilated late last night".

Listening to "Vera Cruz" made me want to explore that part of history some more.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I got to see him at a small bar upstairs in Providence RI. It was a blizzard out too, so many could not make the show. It was still sort of packed but not too bad. He was playing this acoustic guitar, and saying how he just learned an Em9 chord, he was all excited about the discovery and hammered on it for a while for fun.

class act that guy. went up after the show and he high 5'd me, looked right into my eyes to acknowledge my effort and say thank you. super cool dude. humble, full of life. no one was beneath him...

geoguy

Reaction score
I almost saw him perform once . . . unfortunately he was too drunk to take the stage that night!

But I still enjoy his music, & yes, that was a very poignant song on his last album.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

(From The Hula Hula Boys on The Envoy album. Means "let the story be told" or, more emphatically, "get to the point.")

I saw WZ play in 1980, near the height of his commercial success and not long after he'd stopped (for awhile) imbibing various things. He was in top form, had a crackin' band behind him and put on a terrific show.

-Dave-

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
BTW, wandering on youtube last night, there are several cool clips of him when he was the musical director on Letterman's show when Paul Shaffer was out. You could tell Letterman loved him. And the show where he talks with Letterman about his illness is really intense. He has such a sense of humor about it. That clip is below. His advice while looking death in the eye: "...enjoy every sandwich...".

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i also remember watching a clip of Zevon recording his final album before he died, and Bruce Springsteen was there to lay down a solo at the end of one of his songs. He was alive and excited, Warren, watching his friend rip the telecaster, and you could tell Bruce was thrilled to be doing it. then Warren steps outside and smokes a cigarette. my guess is that is what killed him, the smoking. but he never gave up till the very end.

Grassdog

Reaction score
So many great songs from this guy. Hasten Down The Wind and Accidentally Like A Martyr are just beautiful songs

CA-35

Reaction score
i also remember watching a clip of Zevon recording his final album before he died, and Bruce Springsteen was there to lay down a solo at the end of one of his songs. He was alive and excited, Warren, watching his friend rip the telecaster, and you could tell Bruce was thrilled to be doing it. then Warren steps outside and smokes a cigarette. my guess is that is what killed him, the smoking. but he never gave up till the very end.

He actually had Mesothelioma which he attributed to playing in his attic as a small boy.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
He actually had Mesothelioma which he attributed to playing in his attic as a small boy.

oh wow, had no idea. he said he was in canada for a show and he couldnt catch his breath, that is when he knew something was really wrong.

so insulation, asbestos?

amnicon

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a personal tie to the song "Keep Me In Your Heart" that also is tied to Guild.

A few years back I played that song at my grandfather's funeral, a truly deep moment of sharing and remembrance.
After he passed I learned that a small bit of his money was coming to me, and I used some of it to buy my G-212. On the nights when I pull out this lovely 12 string and play, I nearly always end by playing that song and keeping my Grandfather in my heart for a while.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a personal tie to the song "Keep Me In Your Heart" that also is tied to Guild.

A few years back I played that song at my grandfather's funeral, a truly deep moment of sharing and remembrance.
After he passed I learned that a small bit of his money was coming to me, and I used some of it to buy my G-212. On the nights when I pull out this lovely 12 string and play, I nearly always end by playing that song and keeping my Grandfather in my heart for a while.

that is awesome!

CA-35

Reaction score

Great story.