SF4 - Couldn't Resist

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
This popped up in Canada and I resisted for a day or two, but finally succumbed. It looks like it's from the early '90s and after foolishly selling the '94 I had I've been hunting for one from the same era for years. I'm an absolute sucker for the very reddish burst that this appears to have and I think it will be a perfect visual match for my X170.

Reverb ad (I did not pay that much): https://reverb.com/item/31425585-guild-sf-4-1992-sunburst

ftaefjop8olvkrmcrhgn.jpg

rdggdqjftj7tixerfqir.jpg

wp1cvq3kys0uke6ieyyi.jpg

Here was my '94:

Bassman-StarfireIV.jpg

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice looking guitar! How do these compare with Gibby 335’s other than costing a fraction of the price? Loved my 347 except for the weight. It seemed to be able to do just about anything.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice looking guitar! How do these compare with Gibby 335’s other than costing a fraction of the price? Loved my 347 except for the weight. It seemed to be able to do just about anything.

The best answer I can give you is that I've never played a bad Starfire and I've played plenty of trash 335s.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice, GAD! There really are so many variations in SF eras and this one is so classic, although I would have liked a master volume.

Is the fretboard ebony or really dark non-striated rosewood?

I myself am keeping my eye out for a blue SF V with block inlays! :friendly_wink:

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool score, congrats! Interesting that it has the standard stop tail instead of the SP-6. Coincidentally, I was doing "compare and contrast" between my '92 and '01 SF-4s today. :)

Edit: Maybe the SP-6 was an option? Hans would know.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
this one is a bonafide cherry burst- there is no black at all. the guitar is quite GAD-worthy, but the photos are not. when u take it out in the sun (best rising or setting), my guess is u will see it is heavily flamed figuring of the maple. GAD- u done very good here, and is very well deserved.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Oh, that is a very nice sunburst! BTW, I may be wrong, but I don't recall seeing too many SFIV's with gold hardware over the years, which makes this one even more interesting.

walrus

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I can see why you couldn’t resist. That’s beautiful.
Really, it’s just about what look you want, because, as you said, its going to play great.
Enjoy it!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Nice. Gold parts!

(Just picked up an old Bassman head, BTW. Early silverface with the drip edge cosmetics. AB165 circuit…gainier with more mids than the blonde & early blackface circuits. It's a rocker!)

-Dave-

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice.

Let me know what gauge strings you put on it. I think I may have to try something new on my late 90s version.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice.

Let me know what gauge strings you put on it. I think I may have to try something new on my late 90s version.

I can tell you that they will be Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to strings.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice.

I have an 84 and use Ernie Ball Power Slinkys. (11s). it has a Guidsby, and being semi hollow, i find these are the perfect strings.