Mark WW

Reaction score
Used to be when I selected New Posts it showed 10-40 posts. Now it shows 6 - 8 pages! Any thoughts on what has changed?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Used to be when I selected New Posts it showed 10-40 posts. Now it shows 6 - 8 pages! Any thoughts on what has changed?

Part of the transition reset the data that was being used to determine what meant "new" and/or "unread". In my case I had posts that I had read days ago marked as new. Mark the forums read and then the next time you log in you should get something closer to what you are used to.

Check https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?201137-Change-in-quot-read-unread-quot-status to verify that you are not seeing something different.

Mark WW

Reaction score
Well I tried marking Forums Read and now "everything shows as read and there are plenty of threads I have not read. I don't ever visit individual Forum sections unless I were to "rarely" start a new thread, which is rare. Very rare. Oh well... if I have a vote the old way would be great to have back.

DThomasC

Reaction score
Try it for a while, you might learn to like it. LTG now behaves the way most other forums on the web behave.

I think the only improvements would be to add the Mark Forums Read button to the bottom of the New Posts page. Maybe something similar at the bottom of each subforum, but that's asking a lot if it's not built in to the software.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Mark, if you click on "Mark Forums Read" as frono said it has to be from the main page of LTG that shows all the forums. The button is at the bottom. If you do that, it absolutely works like the "old" way - I have been doing it. Once you hit that button it will say "no new posts" when you go to "New Posts", then start to only show any new posts that show up as before. I do it every few days.

walrus

Mark WW

Reaction score
Mark, if you click on "Mark Forums Read" as frono said it has to be from the main page of LTG that shows all the forums. The button is at the bottom. If you do that, it absolutely works like the "old" way - I have been doing it. Once you hit that button it will say "no new posts" when you go to "New Posts", then start to only show any new posts that show up as before. I do it every few days.

walrus

Walrus thank you. I certainly don't mean to be a whiner. I appreciate all the hard work and time those involved have already invested to keep this Forum running and it does seem to be working fine. I will try your suggestion but since I have memory issues will try to get in the habit of doing it when I sign out. Will that work also?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't see why not!

walrus

And I think you only have to do it once, but in morning I usually start by looking at "last post date" in every subforum and then only use "new posts" as I come back in over the course of the day.
In any case I never get the spurious "unread posts" listing anymore.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I also used to use New Posts all the time, but instead have moved to What's New in order to join in on or read updates. The New Posts is just too much :)
But the What's New is fine...