Change in "read/unread" status

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I understand and I agree with you. I would like the forum to be read by my visiting the forum and not necessarily have to visit each thread therein. That’s actually what I don’t like about this. I’ll see if it’s tweakable.

OH. I want the status to roll up. I want the forum to show unread if there are any unread threads in the forum. When I have read what I want I just Mark All as Read.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
OH. I want the status to roll up. I want the forum to show unread if there are any unread threads in the forum. When I have read what I want I just Mark All as Read.

Right, and I agree with you, too. :encouragement:

I want it to work like you describe, but I want it to be user-based and not browser-based. I find it interesting that this never occurred to the developers, though it may be 'fixed' in newer versions.

And yes, if you only ever view on one device I can see the cookie mechanism working just fine. I go back and forth between three devices constantly, so I'm a big fan of server-side solutions.

Still, we'll see how it goes.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love the idea, but sadly not. It's a site-wide setting that is reflected in all profiles.

Roger that, GAD. Anyway, my vote is that I like it, but I could see folks maybe being annoyed by the "no new posts, but unread"... Here's a thought, since it can't be configured in profiles, maybe just don't show it on the mobile version but show it only on the desktop version... On the desktop, it's easy just not to read below the line, if that's your thing. Anyway, all good. Thanks for trying this stuff!!!!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Roger that, GAD. Anyway, my vote is that I like it, but I could see folks maybe being annoyed by the "no new posts, but unread"... Here's a thought, since it can't be configured in profiles, maybe just don't show it on the mobile version but show it only on the desktop version... On the desktop, it's easy just not to read below the line, if that's your thing. Anyway, all good. Thanks for trying this stuff!!!!

I don’t understand. Don’t show what on mobile?

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I got the split unread post deal the first time I asked for new posts after the change, and then marked all as read. Now it works like it always did.

Mark WW

Reaction score
I will try the suggestion but not sure it is the answer I am seeking. I only use my PC and occasionally my Chromebook so maybe that is my issue. The old way worked great. But I do not want to sound ungrateful or a whiner. I am a guest.

F312

Reaction score
It's refreshing to see you spend your time tweaking and informing us of the process, to have a system we can all appreciate Gary, keep up the good work, we care.

Ralph

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Really, I’m good however way. I just want to say thanks for working so hard for this site.